U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,589,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I don't know if this is the best site in the world, but according to this, Eastern Tech, Poly and Western are the 3 best performing Public High Schools in the state. Pretty sure everyone is just there to get a good education, not hate.

Baltimore Polytechnic Institute Rank / Maryland State High Schools - MD School Rankings

shhhhhhh...don't post facts, we're only supposed to post wild accusations and stereotypes about baltimore on this board
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,589,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
The fact remains that Poly is predominately black. There must be a reason.

More white parents in Baltimore City send their kids to private schools than not.
please stay in chicago madam. you are a shining example of what baltimore does NOT need. firstly your assertion that somehow poly = bad school because 80% of it's students are black is racist and unsubstantiated. yes, that's the R word. don't need to play the race card because your post pretty much dealt them all. secondly you assert that black students at an academically superior public school will prey on white students. again, where do you get this stuff from? i'd hate to see what you are teaching your kids about people from different cultures than yours.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,406,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I don't know if this is the best site in the world, but according to this, Eastern Tech, Poly and Western are the 3 best performing Public High Schools in the state. Pretty sure everyone is just there to get a good education, not hate.

Baltimore Polytechnic Institute Rank / Maryland State High Schools - MD School Rankings
Thanks for posting this -- very good news.

I am wondering what happened to City? At one time, City was an academic peer of Poly, but now comes in at number 90 according to this ranking.

My Dad graduated from the Poly "A Course" in the 1930's; it was an excellent school then (and evidently still is). My Mom and Aunt graduated from Western, which was also good way back when (").

Old 05-17-2011, 02:18 PM

5,744 posts, read 8,822,029 times
Its funny how people often assume that if a school or some other environment is 80% X and 20% Y that the "Y"s are automatically being persecuted by the "X"s and they better not complain or fight back because now ALL of the "X"s will rain down their wrath on them. Truth be known the those "x"s that persecute those "ys" are likely in the minority themselves and the "ys" plight will likely be taken up by other "x"s that feel sorry for the "ys" or simply do not like bullies picking on others.

I have seen white bar patrons practically riot when another white person used a racial slur against a black patron that was in their company. The black patron did not have to raise a finger... the white patrons..some with him others just present moved on the violator on their own initiative and got him ejected. The same situation has happened in reverse where black colleagues in an environment that is predominately black have chastised other blacks for making comments or slurs about white patrons that where not even in their party. I think most people regardless of color dont like azz holes and they also dont people being victimized by someone especially if it may be by one of their own for nothing other than being different. I imagine most reasonable people want to represent their Country, Ethnic Group, Race in a positive manner and therefore are often more critical of their own when they step out of line. Again, note my phrase.. "most reasonable people" and yes there are unreasonable folks out there where this does not apply.

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-17-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM

1,976 posts, read 5,866,482 times
Default Roots of segregation

We have to make a clear distinction between school segregation due to historical reasons and today's segregation which has far more complicated causes.
Historical segregation is easy. Read Howell Baum's excellent book, Baltimore After Brown. It describes Baltimore's public schools before 1954 and after.
The following is not in the book, but is historically accurate. Look at the movements of Western High School, the elite public high school for girls. It was located on McCulloh Street (today's Booker T. Washington occupies the building now) until that neighborhood became black. It then moved to a campus across from Mondawmin Mall (today's Frederick Douglass high school now occupies the building). After that area, too, changed racially, the school moved to its current location at Falls Road and Cold Spring Lane, where an old African-American village of Cross Keys was razed to provide a new building site, with Poly to be located next door and also a JFX interchange.
Antero Pietila describes the Poly migration and the lighting-fast racial change of Mondawmin in his Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City.
The current racial composition of City (which in my mind was always more elite than Poly) and Western are primarily results of two factors:
-- An overall change in the city's population.
-- A history of wrongheaded leadership by the school board and some superintendents, particularly by Richard Hunter. Hunter thought that elite schools -- City, Poly and Western -- were educationally undemocratic. His Stalinist theory was that through leveling, i.e. destroying what had made such schools privileged and great, the overall quality of worse-performing schools could be lifted.
Richard Hunter, unless he is retired, is still teaching his educational Stalinism in North Carolina.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,406,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
-- A history of wrongheaded leadership by the school board and some superintendents, particularly by Richard Hunter. Hunter thought that elite schools -- City, Poly and Western -- were educationally undemocratic. His Stalinist theory was that through leveling, i.e. destroying what had made such schools privileged and great, the overall quality of worse-performing schools could be lifted.
Richard Hunter, unless he is retired, is still teaching his educational Stalinism in North Carolina.
In defense of North Carolina -- Richard Hunter lasted only a year or two in Chapel Hill. He is now at the University of Illinois trying to work his magic.

But why has City not recovered in the same way that Poly has?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,744,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
In defense of North Carolina -- Richard Hunter lasted only a year or two in Chapel Hill. He is now at the University of Illinois trying to work his magic.

Stats aside, city still has an excellent reputation here. A great number of succesful people I know graduated from city wtihin the last 20 years.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM

206 posts, read 390,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Geography? Just a theory, I don't know.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,423,081 times
Andres Alonso's biggest goal should be to get a couple other schools to lift their accomplishments to those of Poly and Western. If he can get City, Digital Harbor and another, maybe Mervo to lift their status close to that of Poly and Western, you will see many more families staying here for good. Every County is going to have bad schools, but there needs to be a goal to have more great schools, and of course strive for improvements at all schools.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM

1,976 posts, read 5,866,482 times
Default The burden of history

HandsUpThumbsDown makes an excellent point: City still graduates tomorrow's leaders. It no longer is the lone castle on the hill because elite education has become far more democratic.
The past glory of City was largely due to the fact that it was the one school that provided working-class Jews of Eastern European background a first-class education. These were ambitious kids from Easterwood Park whose parents worked in needle trades and did not have the money or pedigree to send their kids to Park School, which provided such an education for the German Jewish elite that also was excluded from Gilman, Boys Latin, and even Friends, all private schools catering to the sons of the ruling elite. Not in My Neighborhood, quoting documents from the Baltimore Jewish Council, says 75 percent of Hopkins applicants after WWII were Jewish, mostly from City. Hopkins, of course, responded by instituting a Jewish quota. (One reader, a City graduate, indexed all City graduates mentioned in Not in My Neighborhood. It's a long list).
Needless to say, City also groomed many non-Jewish achievers -- from William Donald Schaefer, a poor kid from Edmondson Village, to Bob Embry, the son of a mover and shaker who owned a radio station and, at one time, the Orioles. But its glory years coincided with the emergence of Eastern European Jews as a social force in Baltimore's civic life. Don't forget that until the 1960s, no blue-ribbon law firm in Baltimore employed Jews. Ditto for big banks (in positions of responsibility) or prestige real estate firms.
So City's ups and downs are part of a larger story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or