U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 23,463 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for a year now, and I'm still shocked at how segregated the city is. I went to a birthday party at a party place in the county just outside the city limits recently and couldn't believe my eyes. There were mostly groups of white kids with their parents, and every once in a while, there was a group of black kids and their parents. This place isn't cheap for kids birthday parties, so I'm assuming most of the families have the same financial status. But why are these groups so separate? I didn't see any mixed groups. Why is this?

I see this everywhere I go in the city. I went to a play at a private school in the city, and everyone in the audience was white. The same day I saw a performance at a public school in the city, and almost everyone in the audience was black.

I drive past Poly almost every afternoon just as the kids are coming out of school. I see them walk past my car, and looking at their faces, they look smart. So how come almost all of them are black? If these are the smartest kids in the city, how come the smartest white kids aren't going to Poly?

My neighborhood is mostly white. But a few blocks away the neighborhood is mostly black. It's as though an invisible line is drawn, and boom, everybody stays on either side of the line, according to how they look.

I'm new here, so I know very little about Baltimore's history. But it seems odd to me that no one talks about this eerie segregation. I understand that the poorer areas are mostly black, and the richer areas are mostly white, yet when I see hoardes of kids coming out of Poly, I think: these kids are not poor, so why are they going to school only with other black kids?

It all seems very sick and weird to me. In this day and age, when there are no laws keeping any groups out of any school, place or profession, why is this city not more racially integrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM

4,560 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Barante says it best.

Race, class and antisemitism in Baltimore

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,398,965 times
As far as social activities go, is it not possible that Blacks prefer the company of other Blacks, and Whites prefer other Whites? Would seem to be the simplest explanation.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
As far as social activities go, is it not possible that Blacks prefer the company of other Blacks, and Whites prefer other Whites? Would seem to be the simplest explanation.
That is ridiculous I learned back in the 1990's that every social group had to look like this or else you were a racist and should be ashamed of yourself.

Burger King Kid's Club http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...quuyo1_400.jpg

Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
No, I don't think this is even remotely plausible. Do you prefer to socialize exclusively with people who look just like you, say are six feet tall and have brown hair and green eyes?

I prefer the company of people whose interests I share and whom I find amusing, entertaining, intelligent and fun to be around. I don't care what they look like, though. That's not even a consideration.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 PM

I guess the question is which brick falls first? Who is the first white family to choose a neighborhood that is nearly 100% black then decides to send their kid to the local public school? How do you think that would work out for the white kid? Would other whites follow?

If you go to a school that is nearly homogenious in skin color, wouldn't your friends mostly be homogenious on the outside too?

When you had a birthday party, won't your invite list come from people that are family (that probably look like you) and friend group? (which is normally kids from your neighborhood and school)

Why don't you move down to the neighborhood on the other side of that "invisible line" that is mostly the other race and see how it goes? Maybe you can be the trend setter? Maybe you already have? If so, what is life like on the "other side of the invisible line?"

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-15-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I've only read partway through it. It explains the history of this city, but it doesn't explain why this segregation persists. Is everyone happy with this arrangement? I don't like it. I don't want my kids growing up thinking this is normal. It was normal in my childhood, when the entire US was segregated, but now I want my children to grow up in a world where race doesn't matter. Culture is important, but race, which to my mind only refers to what someone looks like, should no longer be relevant when choosing a neighborhood or city or partner for that matter.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I guess the question is which brick falls first? Who is the first white family to choose a neighborhood that is nearly 100% black then decides to send their kid to the local public school? How do you think that would work out for the white kid? Would other whites follow?

If you go to a school that is nearly homogenious in skin color, wouldn't your friends mostly be homogenious on the outside too?

When you had a birthday party, won't your invite list come from people that are family (that probably look like you) and friend group? (which is normally kids from your neighborhood and school)

Why don't you move down to the neighborhood on the other side of that "invisible line" that is mostly the other race and see how it goes? Maybe you can be the trend setter? Maybe you already have? If so, what is life like on the "other side of the invisible line?"
This is an old question, but it ought to be irrelevant. It seems to me that there is an inherent distrust between the races here in Baltimore and a hostility that is based upon ignorance of each other. If you live in separate worlds, how do you expect to understand each other, even if you are just down the street from one another?

What bothers me is that no one ever talks about this here. Back where I come from in the middle of the country, we do talk about it quite a bit. Yes, it's segregated there too, but somehow it's not quite as obvious as it is here. And there's a real sense that people are trying to change it.

I know the reason for the ongoing segregation in Baltimore is partly economic and partly historic, but it feels like an anachronism. Baltimore ought to be on the cutting edge of racial integration, as it once was on the cutting edge of segregation, as I can see from Barante's post. Why is it not a priority for everyone here -- black and white -- to integrate this city more thoroughly?

And no, I don't mean forced integration, which we all know doesn't work. I mean make a conscious effort to enable groups of people who traditionally turned their backs on each other, to turn around and talk with each other. Get together and figure out how we all can get along and work to make this a better, maybe even a great city. I don't see this happening at all, at least not in the year since I moved here.

I just found this five year old article from Urbanite:

The Elephant in the City | History | Urbanite Baltimore Magazine (http://www.urbanitebaltimore.com/baltimore/the-elephant-in-the-city/Content?oid=1246619 - broken link)

The article explains a lot about the history of what I'm talking about. Sadly, it appears that nothing has changed in five years.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltomod View Post
No, I don't think this is even remotely plausible. . . . I prefer the company of people whose interests I share and whom I find amusing, entertaining, intelligent and fun to be around. I don't care what they look like, though. That's not even a consideration.
I'm trying to understand the logic here. You, personally, believe "A." Therefore, everyone, or at least a substantial number of other people, consequently must also believe "A" ?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
That is ridiculous I learned back in the 1990's that every social group had to look like this or else you were a racist and should be ashamed of yourself.

Burger King Kid's Club http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...quuyo1_400.jpg
Exactly! Either issues like the OP's evident desire to engineer the racial mix of groups dominate your life, or you're a racist.

Maybe most people in Baltimore, like just about everywhere else, are just trying to do the best they can. If there is any difference between Baltimore and the national norm it could be because "The Wire" element unfortunately living in Baltimore poisons the water for everybody.

If only those naughty racists in Roland Park would invite more "Wire People" to their parties, everything else would soon be OK, I imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or