U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM

805 posts, read 1,787,793 times

Advertisements

The architecture is amazing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 PM

4,564 posts, read 7,636,904 times
The Aquarium, The Children's Science Center, a great baseball park (shame a AAA team plays there,) and that great optomistic feeling that this is the year the Ravens finally break through to the Superbowl!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM

1,976 posts, read 5,866,482 times
Default Be part of the solution

I first came to Baltimore in 1969, the year after the destructive riots which will be described in a forthcoming book http://www.amazon.com/Baltimore-68-R...1439906629/ref. This probably was the low point in the city's recent history: Most everyone who could was leaving; the city was demoralized and defeatist.
In the middle of this, dozens of people coalesced around the Citizens Planning and Housing Association and decided to make a difference. For several years, they published an annual guide to a livelier city, listing edgy restaurants (the total Asian sector in Baltimore in those days consisted of just two Chinese eateries), and other things that made city life interesting.
Believe me, despite all the hand-wringing there is no comparison. Today's Baltimore is a happening place. The reason why so many people discount what's brewing is that they are ignorant and don't get around. You are likelier to be happy in Baltimore if you participate. For example, the transformation of Station North, still in the beginning, promises to be one of the fastest neighborhood changes that has ever happened here. Because unlike Washington D.c. for example, neighborhood turnaround in Baltimore, if it happens at all, usually takes several decades.
So to all the gripers on this board: Participate and see what's really going on.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 PM

146 posts, read 229,246 times
Baltimore is cool. I've only been to a few places in the 8 months I've been here but I haven't had any bad experiences. I particularly like how the city looks at night. Not too much going on and not too many lights. Bring from GA ppl always want to go to Atl but it's just too busy (too much going on) there. There's a lot I see to do here activity/entertainment wise. I'm still getting adjusted here and hopefully a friend of mine helps to keep my attitude positive about Bmore.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Default Nothing happening in Bmore?

Be among the last to see Hampden before the world ends!
Time
Friday at 8:00pm - May 21 at 12:00am
Created By
Michael Seguin, Nina Gilkenson, Nicole Munchel, Sarah Sullivan
More Info
The good Lord in his infinite wisdom has been kind enough to hold his long-awaited rapture on Saturday the 21st, long enough for us to squeeze in one more glorious evening at the Baltimore Strut before the world ends, the sheep are separated from the goats, etc. In honor of this lofty occasion, we at the Baltimore Strut will have a rapture-themed contest as well as a countdown to midnight. Come out and say goodbye to your Christian friends! Apparently, Aaron Nichols will be giving us all presents

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM

10,296 posts, read 12,429,493 times
I've only heard good things about Baltimore. Sounds like a place I need to visit.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM

10,296 posts, read 12,429,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
The architecture is amazing
Now that is awesome!

Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 AM

420 posts, read 652,095 times
question: Is the water taxi just a tourist thing, or do people actually use that to commute to and from work?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 AM

Default Water Taxi reality

What a good question because this has caused some tension between city officials and the water taxi operator. The city's view is that the Water Taxi should offer commuting-hour service. The operator's view is -- and the numbers seem to bear this out -- that few, if any, commute, except on the prettiest days. The problem is, of course, that commuting would be very time consuming since most do not go from point A to B but first have to get to a landing and then get from the landing to their offices which may not even be right at the harbor.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 AM

4,180 posts, read 12,775,466 times
This is a great thread including tons of pictures of Baltimore:

The Baltimore *Gallery* - SkyscraperCity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore