Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 AM

418 posts, read 808,993 times

Advertisements

How about we say somthing nice about Baltimore for a change. there are entirely too many threads about Baltimore being dangerous, the people here being racist...etc. So, lets be nice to Baltimore for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
I love Baltimore. The problem with most of these *******s is their only experience with Baltimore is watching The Wire and maybe The Corner. I love both of those shows, but they are not all there is to Baltimore. Like I say, stay out of the game and don't hook up with a whack job man/woman and you will be fine.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
... stay out of the game and don't hook up with a whack job man/woman and you will be fine.
Sometimes the whack job man/woman finds you. The odds are greater in Baltimore.

OTOH, Baltimore has a delightful, moderate year-round climate. And it's close to D.C.

Edit: And Marin Alsop and the BSO is great and affordable.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Sometimes the whack job man/woman finds you. The odds are greater in Baltimore.

OTOH, Baltimore has a delightful, moderate year-round climate. And it's close to D.C.

Edit: And Marin Alsop and the BSO is great and affordable.
If u call Baltimore winters moderate, I would hate to experience what u consider cold. There have been plenty of nights when the temperature drops into the single digits.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I love Baltimore. The problem with most of these *******s is their only experience with Baltimore is watching The Wire and maybe The Corner. I love both of those shows, but they are not all there is to Baltimore. Like I say, stay out of the game and don't hook up with a whack job man/woman and you will be fine.
That's basically the rule.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
There are lots of good things about Baltimore. Just off the top of my head: Johns Hopkins, Loyola, Gilman, Friends, the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, the Maryland Club, the Elkridge Club, the Hopkins Club, Enoch Pratt, Berger cookies, crabcakes, lacrosse, Camden, the Ravens and Orioles (I know, I know), Fort McHenry, all of the ghosts from Poe and Mencken to Unitas and Robinson (Brooks or Frank), the architectural excellence of the old city, Homeland, Guilford, Roland Park, the Port . . . the list is endless.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
I love Baltimore and there is no where in the world I'd rather live. Though I wouldn't mind a getaway for a month in the winter. Living in Fed Hill on a Ravens Sunday, to me, there's no better feeling.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Spring is in full bloom. The weather is getting nice. My neighborhood is looking great and kids are playing outside. I have great neighbors and a great house that would cost a lot more somewhere else. People talk to each other in this neighborhood instead of hide in their houses. I can walk to everything I need: Groceries, Hardware store, at least 15 restaurants, a few parks, library, transportation to other parts of the city. The greens in our neighborhood garden are bolting right up. A man has been playing homemade instruments quite well outside of grocery store.

The Orioles are only about 4 games out of 1st despite being in last place (I'll take it). I can get down to the ballpark in about 12 minutes on my bike. I've been to about a half dozen games already, and going to two more this week. With how many other major league teams can you actually purchase a ticket for $10 or less the day of the game? There was a brass band improvising in the Wyman Park Dell the other night. Very fun to listen to the sound bounce off the hills. It's almost warm enough to swim. It's almost time for the Preakness. I went to two awesome and unique events a few weekends ago: Maryland Film Fest and the kinetic scupture race. I've got to go to Boston in a few weeks, and I have many options with how to get there - and flying is the cheapest, thanks BWI.

People here smile. People here laugh. People here joke and make small talk.

I have no doubt the haters (99% of whom live elsewhere) will take over this post with typical anti-Baltimore stuff. But I had to get my two cents in before they ran their mouths about things they don't know, even if they think they do.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Im POSITIVE that Baltimore is a horrible place I'm kidding.. I had to put that out there because I figured some wise azz (other than myself) would say it first. Now that that is out the way.

Baltimore is probably one of the best big cities to live in. Its a "big city" without being overwhelming. You have access to all the amenities offered in most big cities.. and if we dont have it, its a quick drive, train ride, or flight from here.. even a boat ride (Cruise Maryland). The City does not feel congested. I marvel at the difference between how a Baltimore rowhome community feels less crowded and more managable than the ones in Philly. You can get around town relatively easy.. Parking is bad but not horrible most times.. and we have got some beautiful parks and neighborhoods.....Ok thats it for now

Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 AM

152 posts, read 216,771 times
Baltimore has tons of potential, and all of the natural resources to become one of the greatest cities in America. When you're lucky enough to spend a 'good day' in the city, you get a glimpse of what it should / could / would be like ... if the 'powers that be' would just put more effort into cleaning it up.

But unfortunately, it's hard to spend a 'good day' in Baltimore without seeing (or coming in direct contact with) the ugly underbelly of the city. With the exception of a few very high profile places ...almost anywhere else you go, it's like you're trapped in a 2 block radius, or you're literally taking unnecessary risks with your life, property and family.

Little things that you'd take for granted anywhere else ... like stopping to get gas, or finding a parking spot, or taking your kids inside of an unfamiliar McDonalds, or wanting to check out a new shop or restaurant ... all have to be assessed for there possible risk factors before you proceed.

It's ridiculous. I've lived and stayed in many major cities, and I've never had as many close calls or felt as unsafe as I do when I travel around parts of Baltimore. You have to have your 'city skills' turned on at all times, and it's impossible to just relax and enjoy the day.

Anyone living in the city could take you by the hand, walk you around a couple of blocks, and point out the major problems along with the people that are causing them. But for some unexplainable reason, the police, the court system, the dept of housing, and the politicians all fail miserably at doing their jobs.

The residents that do stay, and try to save their neighborhoods, eventually get worn out by the total lack of the cities cooperation. In the end they're forced to either move away, give up trying, or stay and live within their 2 block bubble.

Baltimore is not that large of a city, to where these problems should be so insurmountable. And Maryland is certainly not too poor of a state to where they can't afford the resources necessary.
It's really just been a long running lack of leadership and bad politics that have held Baltimore back.

There's supposed to be a story on tonight's local news that profiles and investigates the court judges around here, that insist on letting the repeat offenders back onto the streets with nothing more than a wrist slap.

My positive statement for this thread (since it's supposed to be a positive thread) .. is that I positively hope that the investigation results in a couple of judges getting locked up or thrown off the bench. It would be a big first step in the right direction to help reverse the cities decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore