Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:14 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,717 times

Advertisements

From a commuter standpoint it would have been nice.

Living next to it probably not.
I can relate to Linthicum, it adds crime. Flashing blue crime lights are not attractive at all.

People should be careful what they wish for especially about the Redline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
From a commuter standpoint it would have been nice.

Living next to it probably not.
I can relate to Linthicum, it adds crime. Flashing blue crime lights are not attractive at all.

People should be careful what they wish for especially about the Redline.
Theres been evidence to back any of there concerns. You would think Crime has increased on the lines feeding Camden , or Newark,NJ , that hasn't been the case , unless the town has a Highway running through it. Criminals rarely use transit to committe crimes , but they always use a car...... The Sad thing is Maryland has let the NIMBYs hold any Transit expansion back because of unjustified crime fears.... Maryland is so far behind it has become a NE Megapolis Transit 2040 embrassment...

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
There are two excellent restaurants in walking distance of the Linthicum light rail, Squisito Too and Matsu sushi. One is my favorite Italian in the region, the other my favorite sushi place. I get to these places on the light rail because it's convenient.

The people I've seen loitering around the linthicum light rail station appear to be local teenagers. I've seen more loitering in front of the Royal Farms in Linthicum than the light rail.

I also want to see one stat that proves that transit increases crime.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What's wrong with having security cameras or police patrolling the area?
Nothing.... they said that the MTA invested over $500k in cameras and lights.. Not sure if that was system wide or just at this station. I think the residents, just want it gone. Some of the complaints mostly deal with teens, vandalism and a few muggings..I think most of the complaints come from people that live next to the station. Their issues may not all be totally because of the Light Rail.. I believe there are a few commercial establishments nearby which often time bring some level of petty crime. I dont live in the area.. so I dont have a dog in the fight... but the precedence that it sets will start a pile on by all the light rail haters out there to close or limit station hours.. which is not good for the system as a whole.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:09 AM

152 posts, read 487,478 times
Am I the only one who steals 50-inch LCD TVs and transports them back to my home via Baltimore Light Rail?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atariwhizkid View Post
Am I the only one who steals 50-inch LCD TVs and transports them back to my home via Baltimore Light Rail?

Yeah.. it seems that people feel that criminals from the City use the LR as a means to get out into the Counties and commit crimes. Maybe there may be some truth to this in places like Hunt Valley, OW at the major shopping centers.. where now teens and others can now easily get out there.. but a residential neighborhood seems less likely since for the most part if you dont live there.. why would you venture out there and wander around which would only likely increase your chances of getting caught. MTA just needs to step up its enforcment. On any given week I see no less than ten MTA police and fare inspectors gathered at North Ave to enforce fare collection and the like.. Hopefully they could spread them out.. I mean atleast one MTA cop and some of the busier (or more criminal) stations would certainly be a deterent.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres been evidence to back any of there concerns. You would think Crime has increased on the lines feeding Camden , or Newark,NJ , that hasn't been the case , unless the town has a Highway running through it. Criminals rarely use transit to committe crimes , but they always use a car...... The Sad thing is Maryland has let the NIMBYs hold any Transit expansion back because of unjustified crime fears.... Maryland is so far behind it has become a NE Megapolis Transit 2040 embrassment...
well when crime gets under control that will change till them nimby's will have too much power. The only transit they wont oppose is a commuter bus but those only work in the suburbs for burb to city transit. Not within baltimore

Old 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,043 times
I don't understand how subway increase crime. If I was to commit a crime, I wouldn't use public transportation to reach an certain area and to leave either. That's just not a smart thing to do. Getting robbed at a station is no different than getting rob in the parking lot of Arundel Mills Mall. It's possible for either to occur. People want to stop something for a reason with nothing to back up their claim.

I can see teens attempting to use public transportation for a crime but that's where parents and security enforcement come in.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,127 times
It would be nice if they did that. But the problem, the politicians are too selfish about their freaking career and careless about the people. if you look at the current subway or lightrail system, looks where it's serving...to the people that don't even work...pathetic!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Check it out:

Routes and Stations for 71-mile B.R.R.T.S. System
(These stations and numbers correspond to the above map)

CENTRAL STATION
1. Charles Center

NORTHWEST LINE
2. Lexington Market
3. Bolton Hill
4. Laurens Street
5. North Avenue (West)
6. Mondawmin
7. Cold Spring Lane (West)
8. Rogers Avenue
9. Reisterstown Plaza
10. Milford Mill Road
11. Old Court Road
12. Randallstown

SOUTH LINE
13. Inner Harbor
14. Leadenhall Street
15. Cherry Hill
16. Belle Grove
17. Fort Meade Road
18. Friendship International Airport
19. Glen Burnie
20. Marley

NORTH LINE
21. Monument
22. Biddle Street
23. North Avenue (North)
24. 29th Street
25. 33rd Street
26. Cold Spring Lane (North)
27. Belvedere
28. Anneslie
29. Towson
30. Lutherville
31. Timonium

SOUTHEAST LINE
32. Market Place
33. Central Avenue
34. Patterson Park
35. Highlandtown
36. City Hospitals
37. Dundalk
38. Merritt Boulevard
39. Sparrows Point
40. Eastwood
41. Rolling Mill Road
42. Essex
43. Marlyn Avenue

NORTHEAST LINE
44. Johns Hopkins Hospital
45. Gay Street
46. North Avenue (East)
47. Erdman-Sinclair
48. Herring Run
49. Frankford Gardens
50. Radecke Avenue
51. Hazelwood Avenue
52. Overlea
53. Parktowne
54. Joppa-Belair

WEST LINE
55. Fremont Avenue
56. Fulton Avenue
57. Poplar Grove Street
58. Wildwood Parkway
59. Edmondson Village
60. Academy Heights
61. Catonsville
62. Rolling Road
63. Chalfonte Drive

Source: Baltimore Region Rapid Transit System
Just imagine all the development these routes could have spurred. What a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore