U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 AM

3,234 posts, read 2,270,096 times

Advertisements

Check it out:
http://www.roadstothefuture.com/BRRTS_Map_L.jpg

Routes and Stations for 71-mile B.R.R.T.S. System
(These stations and numbers correspond to the above map)

CENTRAL STATION
1. Charles Center

NORTHWEST LINE
2. Lexington Market
3. Bolton Hill
4. Laurens Street
5. North Avenue (West)
6. Mondawmin
7. Cold Spring Lane (West)
8. Rogers Avenue
9. Reisterstown Plaza
10. Milford Mill Road
11. Old Court Road
12. Randallstown

SOUTH LINE
13. Inner Harbor
14. Leadenhall Street
15. Cherry Hill
16. Belle Grove
17. Fort Meade Road
18. Friendship International Airport
19. Glen Burnie
20. Marley

NORTH LINE
21. Monument
22. Biddle Street
23. North Avenue (North)
24. 29th Street
25. 33rd Street
26. Cold Spring Lane (North)
27. Belvedere
28. Anneslie
29. Towson
30. Lutherville
31. Timonium

SOUTHEAST LINE
32. Market Place
33. Central Avenue
34. Patterson Park
35. Highlandtown
36. City Hospitals
37. Dundalk
38. Merritt Boulevard
39. Sparrows Point
40. Eastwood
41. Rolling Mill Road
42. Essex
43. Marlyn Avenue

NORTHEAST LINE
44. Johns Hopkins Hospital
45. Gay Street
46. North Avenue (East)
47. Erdman-Sinclair
48. Herring Run
49. Frankford Gardens
50. Radecke Avenue
51. Hazelwood Avenue
52. Overlea
53. Parktowne
54. Joppa-Belair

WEST LINE
55. Fremont Avenue
56. Fulton Avenue
57. Poplar Grove Street
58. Wildwood Parkway
59. Edmondson Village
60. Academy Heights
61. Catonsville
62. Rolling Road
63. Chalfonte Drive

Source: Baltimore Region Rapid Transit System

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-25-2011 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Copyright issue: Please link to the page if the image is not your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,071,898 times
Sigh.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,368,408 times
Would have been nice

Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM

775 posts, read 954,398 times
Two great new city motto possibilities arise out of this thread.
"Baltimore: Would have been nice."
"Baltimore: What could have been."
I'm partial to the first.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,266,240 times
Default Another slogan

"Baltimore: Something Happened."

Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM

775 posts, read 954,398 times
I like it! Something indeed. Or, better yet: "Baltimore: Oops"

Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,426,695 times
Unfortunately.. in Lithicum they are trying to shut down the Light Rail Station due to crime....The MTA said that they may limit the hours of the stop to 8pm.. which I guess means that the trains will express the station after that time. I wonder how long it will be, if this is approved, before other communities make the same request? Once the MTA goes down that road.. they may be opening up a can of works.. Timonium, Mt. Washington, etc could follow suit

Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,071,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Unfortunately.. in Lithicum they are trying to shut down the Light Rail Station due to crime....The MTA said that they may limit the hours of the stop to 8pm.. which I guess means that the trains will express the station after that time. I wonder how long it will be, if this is approved, before other communities make the same request? Once the MTA goes down that road.. they may be opening up a can of works.. Timonium, Mt. Washington, etc could follow suit
There are two restaurants in Linthicum that will lose my business if this happens.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:34 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,141,696 times
For 3 years, I worked as a draftsman for an electrical sub-contractor on the first phase (Charles Center to Reisterstown Road Plaza) on the Baltimore Subway.

The map in the OP omits the "Inner City Loop" that would have gone approximately from Station 6 to 26 to 46.

Probably the biggest factor in the subway's current, rather limited, route (that ridiculous little fish hook that goes from Owings Mill to Johns Hopkins) was that the Anne Arundel County Council passed a resolution prohibiting the subway from running into Anne Arundel County. This was done in response to residents' fears that the subway would bring "crime" into their neighborhoods (but I also heard certain racial references as often as I heard "crime"). While this has proven to be somewhat accurate, it fails to recognize that it's axiomatic that if travel is made easier and more convenient for honest people, it is also made easier and more convenient for criminals. There's no getting around that.

Anyway, once that resolution was passed, the U.S. Congress, which controlled the bulk of the funding for the project, said that if the subway wasn't going to connect the city to the airport (located within Anne Arundel County), they weren't going to provide funding for the whole subway at once, they'd only fund a small initial phase, then add to it in the future. So the subway started with the short line from Charles Center to Reisterstown Road Plaza, later added the extension to Owings Mill, then finally the little bit from Charles Center to Johns Hopkins.

Naturally, construction costs increased with time, and when a north/south line was added, they had to cheap-ass it and make it at-grade "light rail" with the structure and rolling stock totally incompatible with the existing subway (overhead power vs. third rail power). By that time, opposition to the Light Rail system in Anne Arundel County was less than it had been for the subway, aided by desire for rail service to the new stadiums (that weren't being considered when the original subway had been proposed), and the rail line went through.

So, now we're stuck with two dinky little rail lines instead of a fully integrated proper subway.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:53 PM

3,234 posts, read 2,270,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
What's wrong with having security cameras or police patrolling the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore