U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 03:28 PM

5 posts, read 14,672 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone..

Please Share your experiences of Living conditions in Eldersburg MD which is in broder line of Caroll and Howard County.

We Plan to Buy New Home from Ryan Constructions at Piney Ridge Parkway and want some feedbback Please....

More on Schools and community around...

Any kind of comments are truely apprecicated.

Thanks and Regards - Ramki.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 09:06 PM

76 posts, read 111,909 times
I don't live in Eldersburg, but have spent some time there because I was looking into the inexpensive housing compared to where I live in Crofton, MD. I am originally from Long Island, NY and I find this area to be fairly rural. For example, I found it really strange that the parking lot at the Gold's Gym wasn't paved. It was a big gravel field. Also, I am used to a lot of convenient shopping, such as Target and a nearby mall. I found that many people drive 25-30 minutes to Columbia, MD to do most of their shopping (Target, Costco, etc.) It does seem that they are getting more stores in Eldersburg like Panera Bread, Ulta, two grocery stores, and a few other new places though.

One thing that I didn't like, and I understand that everyone is different, is that the population of this area is not very diverse. It is mostly caucasian. I am caucasian, but I grew up in a diverse neighborhood in NY, and I want my children to have a similar experience. Despite the lack of diversity, I found the people here to be amazingly friendly! I think that is what I enjoyed most about Eldersburg, MD. When I visited a trampoline place with my children, many of the patrons I did not know came up to me and started conversations. I am not used to this, and found it very kind and charming.

The other thing in Eldersburg which I wasn't a huge fan of, is that there is a minimum security prison for male offenders in the next town of Sykesville, MD. It houses only male offenders, and a friend of mine from the area told me that sometimes when prisoners are released, that they don't have money and they hang around for a bit before moving on. As the mom of two young children, this worried me a bit.

Overall though, crime is low, schools are good, and housing is affordable. If you enjoy a fairly rural community, this might be a good fit for you. Good luck making your decision.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:27 PM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_JP View Post
Please Share your experiences of Living conditions in Eldersburg
You need to give up more information about you/your family
and what you need/want or expect from the area.

And maybe what got you there (vs 100 other crossroads in the area).

On the face it's a down market middle class suburb.
If you don't work there or have family nearby... it's hard to justify moving in.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:41 AM

360 posts, read 319,414 times
My rule of thumb is to usually avoid any jurisdiction that ends with "burg". Hope that helps.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:54 AM

356 posts, read 495,066 times
When was Springfield converted to a minimum security prison? Back in the day it was a state mental hospital.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:19 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,875,755 times
It's a small prison, and not really a factor for even residents in nearby Sykesville (just voted coolest town in america btw). Eldersburg is a pretty decent suburban area, with easy access to Howard County/Baltimore County and the pretty countryside just west in Carroll and Frederick counties.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:15 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
Hasn't anyone noticed the the original question is over 5 years old? Eldersburg is a decent suburb for someone who works on the west side of Baltimore or the County. However, I'd consider Ryan Homes to be the bottom end of the housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore