Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 11:54 AM

9 posts, read 20,535 times

Advertisements

OK, after a third visit to Baltimore and driving around, looking at rentals, and exploring the areas, I think we've narrowed down the places we would like to rent for about a year is Federal Hill and Catonsville. Federal Hill is probably a bit above our budget but I still like the area. Both my husband and I like Catonsville because we get more for our money, and commute to Columbia and Owing Mills does not seem bad.

We like the areas south of rt 40 and west of 695 (well, a tiny bit east wasn't bad too). However, there does not seem to be a lot of rental properties in Catonsville. We looked at the Montrose Manor Aptments which were gorgeous, but a bit small (we currently live in a house). I'm working with one rental agent now and he hasn't had much in Catonsville.

So if we are priced out of Federal Hill, then are my husband and I stuck with apartments in that area of Catonsville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnsPlease View Post
We like the areas south of rt 40 and west of 695 (well, a tiny bit east wasn't bad too).
North of Rt 40 and East of 695 aren't really *in* Catonsville

Quote:
However, there does not seem to be a lot of rental properties...
There are a LOT of smaller houses and bigger houses converted to rentals.
Not so much with actual apt developments though.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,454,904 times
There's a small community called Relay near Catonsville and Arbutus. You might like it a lot. Very pretty and quiet, lots of big old homes converted into apartments.

You generally need to look at craigslist to find the apartments that are in converted houses.

Here's one: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/2420320987.html (broken link)

Old 06-08-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

We actually saw some homes for rent north of Rt 40 and east of 695, and they had advertised it as Catonsville. Just did not like the areas there as much. We actually prefer a house over an apartment, but driving around, we did not see a lot of for-rent signs.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
There's a small community called Relay near Catonsville and Arbutus. You might like it a lot. Very pretty and quiet, lots of big old homes converted into apartments.

You generally need to look at craigslist to find the apartments that are in converted houses.

Here's one: Relay/Catonsville/incls.Heat/Hot water! (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/apa/2420320987.html - broken link)
I don't think my husband and I drove down that area. We will definitely take a look around then next time.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM

43 posts, read 190,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Some neighborhoods north of Route 40 are still called Catonsville, MD.
So as some inside the 695.
Yes, kids in those areas goes to Woodlawn High and that is why home prices in those areas are lower than the one from south of Rt 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore