Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times

Advertisements

Here is another stupid idea from another clueless candidate, but then what would one expect from a democrat. Article is from WBAL.com. Read, enjoy, laugh, cry and then ask yourself why no one who has ever worked at Baltimore's city hall has any common sense.

[LEFT]'Bullet Tax' Proposed By Mayoral Candidate

Otis Rolley Running In September's Primary

POSTED: 11:21 am EDT July 19, 2011
UPDATED: 9:43 pm EDT July 19, 2011

BALTIMORE -- A mayoral candidate's plan to reduce violence in Baltimore includes a "bullet tax" that he said will increase the cost of committing a crime.
Otis Rolley said he would, if elected, propose a $1 per bullet tax on all bullet purchases in the city. The idea was part of an overall crime plan (http://www.wbaltv.com/pdf/28596094/detail.html - broken link) he unveiled Tuesday.
http://www.wbaltv.com/2011/0525/28022437.jpg (broken link)

Rolley also said, according to I-Team lead investigative reporter Jayne Miller, that he's willing to touch what Miller called the third rail of Baltimore politics -- the police budget.
"This is not a revenue enhancement tool," Rolley said of the tax idea. "It's a 'make it difficult for you to buy bullets in the city' tool."
The bullet tax is part of Rolley's public safety plan, which includes a change in how the city treats some drug use. He wants to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a summary offense. That would treat the offense more like public drunkenness than a drug crime, Miller reported.Click To Comment
PDF: The Rolley Plan To Reduce Crime In Baltimore (http://www.wbaltv.com/pdf/28596094/detail.html - broken link)

"A lot of time, energy and effort is wasted by our courts and police officers spending time on petty crime," Rolley said. "I want them to focus on quality of life. I want them to focus in on the most violent offenders." SURVEYA Baltimore mayoral candidate proposes a tax on bullets as part of a plan to reduce crime. Do you consider that an effective option as part of a larger plan? Yes
No

Results | Disclaimer | E-Mail

Rolley promises more efficient policing in Baltimore, Miller reported.
Since 2000, the city has spent $4 billion on policing, but the city's homicide rate hasn't significantly budged, according to Miller's Tuesday report.
In 2000, the homicide rate was 40 per 100,000 people. In 2010, the rate was 36 per 100,000 people -- still among the highest in the country.
"It's more than fair to ask whether that's been a good investment, and my answer would be no," Rolley said of the $4 billion figure.
Rolley said he is willing to consider spending less on policing if it's part of what he called a "bigger plan."
"If you make cuts in public safety, you have to enhance other areas so you enhance public safety. Right now, we're not doing that."
Rolley said the bullet tax would cause a decrease in "random firings that too often happen around holidays" and put a high price tag on the cost of committing a crime."This is not a revenue enhancement tool. It's a 'make it difficult for you to buy bullets in the city' tool."
[RIGHT][RIGHT]- Otis Rolley[/RIGHT][/RIGHT]

"While the courts have consistently ruled against significant gun control legislation, there is still a way to decrease crime: substantially increase the cost of its commission," Rolley's plan states.
"Increasing the cost of guns won't work, because many criminals don't purchase new guns, and they can be borrowed or even rented in some areas," his plan states.
Minutes after WBALTV.com posted this story, our friends on Facebook swiftly shared their reaction.
Judy Lloyd wrote, "Taxing those trying to protect their homes or hunt? How about a tax on stupidity?"
Danny Kutrick wrote, "I almost shot my drink through my nose. Criminals don't by ammo from a store."
Jeneene Precious Richardson-Rogers wrote, "How can it hinder crime if a majority of the crimes committed are with illegal handguns? So, how would they collect a tax for bullets when the only people it would hurt is the ones who are legally able to buy guns and not the criminal?"

Rolley, a Democrat, served as the city's planning director from 2003 to 2007.
The primary will be held in September.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,525 times
Egads that would really make skeet shooting an expensive hobby.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times
You know how they say birds migrate based on the magnetic fields generated by the earth's core? I have a feeling that there's something similar going on with this state and more specifically Baltimore, but instead of birds it attracts morons.

I'm surprised this state hasn't fallen even farther.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Not a surprise, Brian Frosh from Montgomery County introduces this at the State level almost every year.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
How many bullets does the average illegal gun carrying felon go through in a year? I can't imagine they go out to the range to "target shoot." The proposal is akin to having a one dollar surcharge added to each shooting victim.

It seems the responsible gun owners would (again) be the ones that actually end up bearing the cost of the additional tax/regulation.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 AM

569 posts, read 1,441,959 times
He must be a fan of Chris Rock.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It seems the responsible gun owners ...
Classic oxymoron.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I just bought a case of shotgun shells for goose hunting. Got a deal on them for what they are, $170/case. The tax rate on it would have been $250 not including the federal Pittman-Robertson already figured into the price if this was in effect in the State.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Classic oxymoron.
Classic regular moron

Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Damn Otis.. I was with you until that comment. Granted I looked at the Plan and this is just one of a series of items that the media decided to highlight as if it was the hallmark of his crime plan. Its safe to say that Otis' background is in Urban Planning not Urban.. Criminal (Street) Justice. Since most of the criminals are probably funded by the drug trade...they can pay easily pay the 'bullet tax' and stockpile both guns and weapons to supply rebels in a small third world nation. THose that cant afford the 'bullet tax' will use other weapons de jour.. and you will have more blunt force trauma, stranglings, stabbings etc. Alternatively,, they will just aim better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore