U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,273,609 times
If you get the ball rolling on that I'll bring a water bucket just to be a good sport about all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,319,121 times
Well Practice started today.

So many Yacht's, That adds some charm to "charm city"
Alot of diversity, I actually got a chance to practice my Russian
Lot of people from different countries.

It's a nice atmosphere. Really looks like it will be fun.

Surprised how close I was able to get today.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:04 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,319,121 times
I feel your pain if you drive though..I mean DAMN. Looks like downtown had it's own "Carmageddon" yesterday and today.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 AM

2,537 posts, read 1,723,904 times
Baltimore is being showcased around the country, possibly the world and people have nothing better to do than complain about trees. I hope that those individuals never use paper and ride their bike, or walk to work after leaving their solar-paneled houses in the morning. People always find something to complain about so Im not surprised. I hope the race goes well.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 2,110 times
All I have to say about this race is thanks for #((## up the traffic on Friday during rush hour!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:26 AM

4,736 posts, read 5,126,462 times
Spent the weekend at the races, and then talked to people around the country who watched it on TV. Baltimore looked good to outsiders over the weekend. The track looked better than teh Long Beach Grand Prix on TV and was up there with Monaco. Yachts in the harbor, tree lined racing circuit, happy people, it looked like a transformed city. Well over 100k people were down there on Sunday alone.

Complaining about traffic? It's one freaking weekend out of the year, get the hell over it...

The races themselves were great! From the ALMS race on saturday to the F2000, Star Mazda and Indy lights, all the way up to the main event on Sunday. My friends, family and I had a blast. Can't wait until next year!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,042,597 times
I attended on Friday.

One thing that I have not seen or heard mentioned in any of the reports that I've read or seen on TV is the fact that racing activities did not get started on Frinday until MORE THAN FIVE HOURS AFTER THE SCHEDULED TIME.

The day's racing activities were scheduled to start at 8:00 AM with practice for the F2000 cars, but they didn't finish installing the catch fencing until 1:00 PM.

This might not seen to be that big of a deal overall, but it sure was an annoyance to those who were there at the time, and it must not be repeated next year.

But that was the only problem that we encountered. Everything else seemed to be going very smoothly.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,273,609 times
Here is some of our in car footage Sunday morning:

Tony Kanaan and Helio Crash at Baltimore - YouTube

Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 AM

83 posts, read 163,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Complaining about traffic? It's one freaking weekend out of the year, get the hell over it...
Says the guy who lives in Pikesville. You didn't have to sacrifice your neighborhood, local roads and parking for the race.

And the hassle extends beyond the race weekend. Weeks ago they put up the ugly bleachers, took away the bike lane around the Inner Harbor and made traffic a mess on Light St.

Last edited by DillThePill; 09-06-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 11:33 AM

83 posts, read 163,217 times
I'm not a fan of the race but I can't change that it's going to happen so I'm glad Baltimore pulled it off and it showed the city in a good light.

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Orioles' team batting average is .255, putting it smack in the middle of the major leagues.
The Izod IndyCar Series is batting 1.000 in Baltimore after the most successful inaugural American street racing event in the past 30 years.

IndyCar Series - Baltimore Grand Prix a winner for INDYCAR - ESPN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore