Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,404 times

Advertisements

Hello people!
Im female, from India and will begin grad school in DC next week. Husband's got a job at Johns Hopkins and so we've leased a place in Charles Village right next to Eddie's Mkt. Only issue seems to be that I will have late night classes twice a week and will reach Penn station (MARC train travel) at 11:30 p.m! So was wondering if I could get some help on how I should get back home? Baltimore has quite a reputation it seems but I really hope it's not so bad. Is a cab safer at that time of the night or can i use a local bus route? PLease advise. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times
Baltimore isn't that bad but you will be going thru a transitional neighborhood so it's not safe at night. You will want to take a Cab.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,404 times
thanks so much.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 PM

181 posts, read 633,626 times
I second that: you really don't want to waiting for the bus and walking from wherever it stops to your place that late at night. Please take a cab.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Don't forget to tell the cab driver when he drops you off to wait until you open and close the door to your home behind you.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM

109 posts, read 119,764 times
Depending on the time of night, the Hopkins shuttle runs from Penn Station to the Homewood Campus. The shuttle is free. If you're close to campus and don't have to walk far you'll be fine, as that part of Charles Village is generally safe. Not sure how late the shuttle runs so double check that.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
The Hopkins Shuttle does run that late.

http://www.parking.jhu.edu/bin/o/i/JHMI_shuttle_schedule%207-1-11.pdf (broken link)

I wouldn't walk at that time of night, but I'd probably take a bus (I'm male). The #3 and #11 would drop you off on Charles a block away from St. Paul.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 AM

8,233 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Very good advice here...There was an unfortunate though essentially random incident with a Hopkins student being robbed and murdered in this general area.. doing basically what you are proposing to do... I travel the area often at night and generally no one is around once you pass the main roads of North Ave, 25th Street up until you get near the University. That is the problem.. its not necessarily a bad area.. but no one is around which creates the opportunity for bad things to happen. Its also a major "crosstown transit area" with a variety of pedestrian traffic heading from the upper parts of West Baltimore to East Baltimore so you may get some unsavory elements simply in transit through the area...which leaves the door open to crimes of opportunity. Along Maryland Ave side, there appears to be some halfway houses and the like.. which is where I believe the Hopkins students alleged killers lived (at least the vicinity).

So a cab ride is the way to go.. its quicker and more piece of mind. I would advise this in most cases regardless of the general area if you are not very familiar with it at those hours....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: