Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Chicago is one of the coolest cities I've ever been to, and you go on their board and you'd think it's Compton.

I live downtown and just about everyone I talk to in my neighborhood and others similar love this place. They typically don't leave unless they have school age kids, and that's a nationwide thing.

Google skyscraper and Baltimore and you'll find great conversations about Baltimore development.
That's not true in fact nationwide the trend is reversing. Just down I-95 .

Henderson calls white enrollment growth good for D.C. schools - The Washington Post

Quote:
D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson told a roomful of African American community leaders and educators this week that growing white enrollment in city schools brings the system closer to what she called “the promise of a good public education.”

“There are white families that are choosing DCPS. That’s just life,” Henderson told the gathering, organized by the Ward 8 Education Council. The group was formed by D.C. Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) to help parents advocate for their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Honestly a lot of it is the fact that washingtonian's flood this form and love to b-more bash every chance they get, its sad man but sooo many people want to talk crap about a place they barely know about!!! This might sound bad but my freshman year in college i knocked a guy in my dorm out for randomly telling me how bmore was a piece of sh** (he was a silver spring resident) idk i love bmore like my drunk uncle, dont talk crap and you dont know em!!!!
LOL B-more folks seem to always have a complex about DC.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:53 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
I love this thread. I talk trash about Baltimore to people from here, but I always find myself defend its name on C-D. I think people from other places would only help the city. As I think about, most cities that have improved over the last 10-20 years is because of "new blood": NYC, DC, ATL, HOU...etc. Another thing I hate (especially on C-D) is when people give DC credit for anything that remotely resembles a 'step in the right direction'.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:09 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post
Great way to show that Baltimoreans don't have a bad attitude with a chip on their shoulder. Typical way of people in the city to try to be intimidating.

People that have to live with a dangerous failure in their state have just as much right to bad-mouth it; especially when there is spill-over from Baltimore and it's problems.
N'yoah! Mus' be ya Cownee boy!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl...w=1366&bih=610

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyONbOaP_0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p2cEiytmtY

Last edited by Danbo1957; 09-10-2011 at 01:54 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atizstr8 View Post
Because 90% of the city is and has at least 1 of the 3 things you listed.
This is what I try to say. Baltimore is a major east coast city. It has a great downtown, inner harbor and shipyard. It has a good infrastructure and layout, an interesting history and a globally known university.

And that's exactly why it's so OBVIOUS how much better the city can and should be. All the crime and blight is completely out of place and needs to be cleaned up. The city needs to be turned around and reach its true potential.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:57 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All the crime and blight is completely out of place and needs to be cleaned up. The city needs to be turned around and reach its true potential.
But how, exactly, can that be done? I left Baltimore in the 1960s. When I return nowadays to visit, the slums are worse then I can remember. I have not seen any improvement in livability over the past 45 years. Baltimore may be fine for the well-to-do, but I think it's not so good for blue-collar, working-class families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore