U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,320,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I'm not really familiar with the school, I think my friend said it has/had a shuttle bus to where I don't know.
The shuttle bus runs between the two campus's and makes a stop at the Metro station. Early morning and evening shuttles run every hour, and midday shuttles once every half hour. The first stop at the Metro is at 7:15 am, I believe, and the last stop at the Metro is 5:15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 PM

59 posts, read 140,621 times
I have to ask: why Owings Mills and why Stevenson? The only real advantage to living in OM is proximity to the Metro if you work downtown or on the Hopkins medical campus. Other than that, it's neither walkable nor very car-friendly and largely devoid of character, the schools aren't great, and the apartments and subdivisions along Reisterstown Road are really starting to show their age. And for all the shopping centers on that stretch of Reisterstown Road and all the traffic headaches they cause, you'll still want to drive to Towson/Timonium/Hunt Valley or to Columbia for more than the basics (and maybe even just the basics, as the Target and Walmart there both kinda suck). I'd take Towson, Cockeysville, Pikesville, or Catonsville (outside the Beltway/south of 40) over Owings Mills anyday, because they're just all-around better places to live, and all of them have enough apartments that they're not out of reach for someone on a budget (as most students are). As for schools, Stevenson is overpriced; I would say overrated as well, but it doesn't really have much of a reputation in Baltimore, let alone outside it. Towson U. and UMBC are both better schools, have a lot more programs to choose from, and cost less.

Last edited by The Notorious DGD; 09-23-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 11:28 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,320,954 times
Stevenson has a great reputation with Johns Hopkins Hospital. The school itself is not too shabby, but does get overlooked by Towson, UMD, and UMBC. Private colleges give out more aid than publics, and Stevenson is no exception. Yes, they have a higher price tag, but if you look at their scholarships that they give out, you will see they can actually be cheaper than these other schools....even though they are public.

Merit-based scholarships at these public schools are highly competitive. A 3.8 GPA at UMBC, for example, can get you a nice scholarship...or it can get you nothing. At Stevenson, you will get $12K to $14K + a potential 'nother $2K for Honors if applicable just for being a student. Stevenson's scholarships are automatic...and apply to every student...no competition involved.

Besides, where you get your undergraduate degree really does not matter that much. And how many people on the West Coast, let alone in say, Connecticut, have heard of UMBC or Towson?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM

59 posts, read 140,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Stevenson has a great reputation with Johns Hopkins Hospital. The school itself is not too shabby, but does get overlooked by Towson, UMD, and UMBC. Private colleges give out more aid than publics, and Stevenson is no exception. Yes, they have a higher price tag, but if you look at their scholarships that they give out, you will see they can actually be cheaper than these other schools....even though they are public.

Merit-based scholarships at these public schools are highly competitive. A 3.8 GPA at UMBC, for example, can get you a nice scholarship...or it can get you nothing. At Stevenson, you will get $12K to $14K + a potential 'nother $2K for Honors if applicable just for being a student. Stevenson's scholarships are automatic...and apply to every student...no competition involved.

Besides, where you get your undergraduate degree really does not matter that much. And how many people on the West Coast, let alone in say, Connecticut, have heard of UMBC or Towson?
I can see your point about UMBC. Its admission standards are more competitive than Stevenson's. But Towson's are comparable, and anyone who can get a scholarship at Stevenson could probably get the same there. Towson also has a lot more to offer someone whose grades are good enough to merit a scholarship. More majors, more classes within each major, more experienced faculty members, more activities/interest groups/honor societies, more honors courses, and more internship/networking opportunities. And just because people who went to Stevenson's nursing program sometimes get hired at JHH doesn't mean much. CCBC and other local community colleges are also well-represented there (as is Towson), and there's enough of a nursing shortage that anyone who can pass the RN exam can get a job pretty easily. In other fields, reputation certainly matters when you're applying to graduate school or getting your first job out of college. Going to a well-regarded public university (out of state) definitely opened doors for me that may have otherwise been closed. It also prepared me for what awaited once I got in the door. Someone I know is actually attending Stevenson with the same major I had oh so many years ago. Her coursework is light-years behind the stuff we did, and she didn't have nearly as many classes to choose from. If she gets into graduate school -- and that's a huge "if" given the degree she wants to pursue -- she will start out at the bottom of the heap. And that just really sucks, because 4 years is a lot of time to spend on a glorified associate's degree.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 AM

6,179 posts, read 9,402,886 times
I was over at Stevensons OM campus and was amazed how that commercial area is starting to take off around their campus... I wish stevenson would have located on the grounds of the OM Mall and built an urban campus that incorporated the Mall and some of the OM Town Center Plans. It would have also improved access to/from Downtown to the campus.......They could have left the athletic complex at its current location......

Old 10-03-2011, 02:16 AM

7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Whats going on with Owings Mills Mall? When are they gonna put it out of its misery?? I live in Reisterstown, and i can honestly say, I've only been to that mall maybe twice in the last year. CCBC's extended campus needs to move out of its current location. Parking there in the daytime is hell; I park at the metro station usually.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,278 times
Owings Mills is boring and most Black. The schools suck. There's no good shopping areas around and there aren't any good restaurants. There isn't any diversity in Owings Mills at all.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,986,282 times
I think Owings Mills is actually one of the more diverse suburbs in the metro, but it certainly is not everyone's cup of tea. There is an area I believe within the Owings Mills zip code known as Caves Valley, just to the east of Reisterstown Rd. that is surprisingly very upscale with large expansive homes on generous wooded lots. I believe most of the negativity associated with Owings Mills happens roughly around the metro station and several apartment complexes and some older subdivisions as well. Yes the area has seen an expense of "white flight" throughout the last 20 years or so which has certainly changed the makeup of the community.

Funny thing is back in the 80's early 90's, Owings Mills, especially the mall area was sort of like the Tyson's Corner of Baltimore. However, the mall fell on hard times starting in the mid 90's and obviously was unable to recover. The newer developments adjacent to the mall especially Metro Centre have also appeared to struggle to sign new tenants as well.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:23 PM

99 posts, read 87,878 times
I have always found Owings Mills to be a little soulless, though I would rate UMBC above Towson U.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 PM

525 posts, read 595,544 times
I work with someone who loves Owings Mills, but her problem is she is xenophobic....she's always talking about "too many Mexicans" in Owings Mills....does the same with Ellicott City/Columbia and "too many Asians". Oh my god, I get so tired of her idiot self jabbering on.

Anyway, Owings Mills is your typical, soulless, safe suburb. But if you talk to people who live in Reisterstown, it's very VERY dangerous. And if you talk to people in Westminster, it's practically the next crime capital of the planet Earth. I seriously had someone tell me that Reisterstown was getting "really unsafe, you do not want to be out here at night."

Owings Mills is pretty diverse unless you're one of those people that believes "diversity" means "majority white" plus a handful of ethnic restaurants. I personally believe that half of the black middle class lives in Owings Mills and the other half lives in Randallstown. And the existence of Owings Mills and Randallstown is exactly why there is relatively no black middle class in Baltimore City.There has been a lot of white flight from Baltimore County and City to Carroll County. I think Howard County is where you go where you make enough to live in Montgomery County but the rainbow was not enough.

I prefer Pikesville to Owings Mills because although it is also a suburb, it feels a little more urban. I work out in the suburbs, so it's the best I can do and not become suicidal because of the horrible traffic. If Owings Mills had more character, it would be much improved. Right now it just feels like a wannabe Bethesda in some places, broke-down NOVA in others. But fetch is just not going to happen. Yet anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore