U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 11:24 AM

5,936 posts, read 5,432,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Anyway, Owings Mills is your typical, soulless, safe suburb. But if you talk to people who live in Reisterstown, it's very VERY dangerous. And if you talk to people in Westminster, it's practically the next crime capital of the planet Earth. I seriously had someone tell me that Reisterstown was getting "really unsafe, you do not want to be out here at night."

Owings Mills is pretty diverse unless you're one of those people that believes "diversity" means "majority white" plus a handful of ethnic restaurants. I personally believe that half of the black middle class lives in Owings Mills and the other half lives in Randallstown. And the existence of Owings Mills and Randallstown is exactly why there is relatively no black middle class in Baltimore City.There has been a lot of white flight from Baltimore County and City to Carroll County. I think Howard County is where you go where you make enough to live in Montgomery County but the rainbow was not enough.

I prefer Pikesville to Owings Mills because although it is also a suburb, it feels a little more urban. I work out in the suburbs, so it's the best I can do and not become suicidal because of the horrible traffic. If Owings Mills had more character, it would be much improved. Right now it just feels like a wannabe Bethesda in some places, broke-down NOVA in others. But fetch is just not going to happen. Yet anyway!
Oh my God. This has to be the funniest yet most devastatingly accurate description of Owings Mills I've read yet. LMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,602,533 times
Yeah, it's funny! I'm dyin' over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Oh my God. This has to be the funniest yet most devastatingly accurate description of Owings Mills I've read yet. LMAO!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM

You don't like Black people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlyn012 View Post
Owings Mills is boring and most Black. The schools suck. There's no good shopping areas around and there aren't any good restaurants. There isn't any diversity in Owings Mills at all.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 PM

525 posts, read 595,634 times
LOL glad someone got it. Black middle class folks are just as mild as any other middle class folks.....um, nothing is happening out in Owings Mills! Except maybe:

1. Girls Night at TGIFridays or Olive Garden
2. People trying to break their necks to get to Sam's Club
3. Subsequent speeding tickets because trying to break neck to get to Sam's Club
4. Fender bender because you're hurrying to get to Target or some sports bar to watch the game and trying to take a Very Important Phone Call from someone you just saw 5 minutes ago...

....you get the idea: suburban first world problems.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 PM

4,988 posts, read 8,067,237 times
Quote:
LOL glad someone got it. Black middle class folks are just as mild as any other middle class folks.....um, nothing is happening out in Owings Mills! Except maybe:

1. Girls Night at TGIFridays or Olive Garden
2. People trying to break their necks to get to Sam's Club
3. Subsequent speeding tickets because trying to break neck to get to Sam's Club
4. Fender bender because you're hurrying to get to Target or some sports bar to watch the game and trying to take a Very Important Phone Call from someone you just saw 5 minutes ago...

....you get the idea: suburban first world problems.
You forgot to add the Owings Mills has the worst Red Lobster on the East Coast, or at least it did 10 years ago.

But, yeah, the description of Owings Mills/Reisterstown/Westminster is spot on, and very funny. I remember being warned by the townies back in my college days at WMC about going down to the Owings Mills mall movie theatre after dark.

I do have a funny story. My brother went to WVU. He ran into a "tough" guy from Maryland. My brother asked where he lived. "Baltimore" was his answer. My brother was like, "Oh, what neighborhood."

"Reisterstown." the guy replied. My brother laughed in his face and told him that wasn't Baltimore, it was the freakin' suburbs. The guy didn't take it well, his 'tough guy' cover was completely blown!

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-25-2015 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 06:11 AM

Do you mean that suburban Red Ghettolobster out there by the mall. That place was not good. I only at there once before heading to the movies. It was way too many young, unruly, mis-behavin' Black chillen for me. Loud and unruly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You forgot to add the Owings Mills has the worst Red Lobster on the East Coast, or at least it did 10 years ago.

But, yeah, the description of Owings Mills/Reisterstown/Westminster is spot on, and very funny. I remember being warned by the townies back in my college days at WMC about going down to the Owings Mills mall movie theatre after dark.

I do have a funny story. My brother went to WVU. He ran into a "tough" guy from Maryland. My brother asked where he lived. "Baltimore" was his answer. My brother was like, "Oh, what neighborhood."

"Reisterstown." the guy replied. My brother laughed in his face and told him that wasn't Baltimore, it was the freakin' suburbs. The guy didn't take it well, his 'tough guy' cover was completely blown!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 AM

Pikesville is becoming slummy though!

Quote:
I work with someone who loves Owings Mills, but her problem is she is xenophobic....she's always talking about "too many Mexicans" in Owings Mills....does the same with Ellicott City/Columbia and "too many Asians". Oh my god, I get so tired of her idiot self jabbering on.

Anyway, Owings Mills is your typical, soulless, safe suburb. But if you talk to people who live in Reisterstown, it's very VERY dangerous. And if you talk to people in Westminster, it's practically the next crime capital of the planet Earth. I seriously had someone tell me that Reisterstown was getting "really unsafe, you do not want to be out here at night."

Owings Mills is pretty diverse unless you're one of those people that believes "diversity" means "majority white" plus a handful of ethnic restaurants. I personally believe that half of the black middle class lives in Owings Mills and the other half lives in Randallstown. And the existence of Owings Mills and Randallstown is exactly why there is relatively no black middle class in Baltimore City.There has been a lot of white flight from Baltimore County and City to Carroll County. I think Howard County is where you go where you make enough to live in Montgomery County but the rainbow was not enough.

I prefer Pikesville to Owings Mills because although it is also a suburb, it feels a little more urban. I work out in the suburbs, so it's the best I can do and not become suicidal because of the horrible traffic. If Owings Mills had more character, it would be much improved. Right now it just feels like a wannabe Bethesda in some places, broke-down NOVA in others. But fetch is just not going to happen. Yet anyway!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 PM

279 posts, read 434,269 times
What's wrong with the Red Lobster in Owings Mills? I don't go there much, but it seems ok. What I really like is the Bonefish Grill, hence my screen name.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM

4,988 posts, read 8,067,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Do you mean that suburban Red Ghettolobster out there by the mall. That place was not good. I only at there once before heading to the movies. It was way too many young, unruly, mis-behavin' Black chillen for me. Loud and unruly!
Your words not mine, but the only time I went there it was a 3 hour ordeal. The place was filthy, the service was horrible (10 years later and I am still waiting on that salad) and the manager was incompetent.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:32 AM

110 posts, read 156,006 times
That's disappointing. I was considering moving there this summer. Didn't they recently build an apartment complex near the Light Rail out there?

Well, I guess I'll keep looking at WM and Joppa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore