U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM

202 posts, read 484,049 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility I will be moving to Owings Mills early next year and I want to get an idea of it before moving up there. I'm from the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland but I know almost nothing about the place. I don't even really know that much about Baltimore City.

What should I expect culture wise (way of life), weather, people, etc? Are there a lot of Hispanic/Spanish speaking people up there? Any additional info I should know about the area? Please let me know and thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,489,054 times
Probably evenly split between Jewish and African American, there is also a Russian Culture in the Pikesville/Owings Mills area. Extremely suburban, there are some cool classic Jewish Delis and Italian places, but there is also every chain restaurant and store ever created.

Home of the Ravens, so you will see them around. Will take 20 minutes to get dowtown, but you can also take the metro. Traffic can be pretty tough on the west side of the beltway, which is what you'll have to learn to deal with.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,607,371 times
It's Diverse, A decent population of Asians, (Korean, Chinese etc.), Blacks, Latinos, Whites etc.
Decent quality of life. Not a lot of crime.
It's quiet, kinda boring though.
The mall is basically dead. In my opinion.
It is suburban.

Mid to upper class depending on what part of Owings Mills you are going to.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
It's Diverse, A decent population of Asians, (Korean, Chinese etc.), Blacks, Latinos, Whites etc.
Decent quality of life. Not a lot of crime.
It's quiet, kinda boring though.
The mall is basically dead. In my opinion.
It is suburban.

Mid to upper class depending on what part of Owings Mills you are going to.
Which part is Stevenson University in? I may be transferring there early next year and want to know what i'm getting myself into before I go.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM

922 posts, read 1,021,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
Which part is Stevenson University in? I may be transferring there early next year and want to know what i'm getting myself into before I go.
Hope you have a car because it's in the middle of nowhere. Quiet, suburban, 6-7 figure single family homes.

I would certainly visit the school I might attend before making a final decision.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,607,371 times
Sorry I forgot about this topic.
Red1sking is right I believe. I think Stevenson is in a secluded area.
I'm not really familiar with the school, I think my friend said it has/had a shuttle bus to where I don't know.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:55 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,918,291 times
You could live in pikesville and easily get to Stevenson (it's like 10 minutes away) with little or no traffic. Good location, low crime, good communities, low priced housing. I've lived here for a decade now.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM

260 posts, read 745,409 times
There are two campuses for Stevenson University. The first one is located off Greenspring Valley Rd. in a extremely affluent area with lots of horses and gentleman farmers. The newer one is located in Owings Mills and its surrounded by office parks.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Ok, thanks so far everyone.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,489,054 times
The campus off Owings Mills Blvd is partly space from the Ravens/Colts old facility. That's where the athletic fields are, and they just built a brand new stadium. Stevenson is a growing school, that has invested piles of money lately. Their image has certainly grown locally recently, the success of their lacrosse team has really helped put them on the map. Lacrosse is pretty big in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore