U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM

337 posts, read 417,816 times

Advertisements

Can a black person move to a white neighborhood in Baltimore and be okay? Okay as in not being a victim of hate or violence..

I only ask because if its anything like a black person moving to Howard Beach or Bensonhurst in NYC or Southie in Boston then I want a heads up.

I know Baltimore has had extreme black on white crime in the past so I suspect there maybe resentment on both sides also I know the city has had a history of blockbusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,227,543 times
I don't know of any neighborhoods in Baltimore where a black person would be likely to be a victim of hate or violence based on race. Although it wasn't all that long ago that Baltimore still had segregated neighborhoods, I think that is a thing of the past. Not to say Baltimore doesn't still have a long way to go on racisim but, you can feel comfortable moving to any neighborhood you want.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,156,129 times
This sounds more like someone fishing for racist commentary to me.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,410,389 times
Most of the white neighborhoods in Baltimore are filled with ivy leaguers and art students, not much to worry about. Otis Rolley, a black candidate for mayor, set up his campaign office in Hampden, which was thought of as a whites only place many years ago. So I think that shows you where things are. In Baltimore, be down to earth, and don't get involved in drugs, and people will love you.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 AM

17,411 posts, read 8,019,993 times
Baltimore is one of the few major east coast cities where working class and below blacks and whites live together in rundown neighborhoods. Still the city has a long and in fact sordid history in regards to racial and ethnic resedential segregation.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 14,690,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Can a black person move to a white neighborhood in Baltimore and be okay? Okay as in not being a victim of hate or violence..

I only ask because if its anything like a black person moving to Howard Beach or Bensonhurst in NYC or Southie in Boston then I want a heads up.

I know Baltimore has had extreme black on white crime in the past so I suspect there maybe resentment on both sides also I know the city has had a history of blockbusting.
I am a relative newbie to Baltimore City, but my experience so far, and keep in mind that I have yet to see every inch of the city, is that black people are everywhere. I could be wrong, but it seems more likely to find a few blocks here and there that are predominately white, but I have yet to see any particular neighborhood that can be described as "white".

My opinion, based solely on observation, is that a black person, perhaps 97% of the time, will be the victim of violence from another black person.

Honestly, my guess would be that any white person who may be racist or what-ever does not live in Baltimore. Or, to be more blunt, they would keep their mouths shut and definitely would not bring any attention to themselves.

As for Southie...not quite. For one, yes, for many years Southie was a "white haven" in Boston, but it is not that simple. For the most part, it was a place for the more, uh, hardcore Irish-Americans from Boston. Simply being white wouldn't cut it if you were from away. And not being Irish-American, even if you were white, wouldn't help you much, either (although you would fare better than if you weren't white).

But....that is from a Boston decades ago. These days, Southie has been largely gentrified, in particular the areas closer to the Financial District, and is inhabited by many transplants. There are still pockets of working-class areas, but many of the working-class, white and otherwise, have been priced out of the area. Also, Southie is not as "white" as many may think. Yes, it is still a gritty place in some areas, and has its problems with crime and drugs and gangs and what not-in particular near Dorchester, Roxbury, and Savin Hill-but these days, a black person would probably not have many, if any, problems from "white" people.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,299,282 times
There are quite a few neighborhoods in the city that are predominantly white or non-black. But, I really can't think of any neighborhoods that are "all-white". For that matter, I can't think of that many neighborhoods that are "all-white" in the entire DC-Baltimore metro area.

Southie in Boston used to be pretty tough. It was the only time I was ever robbed and I've lived in cities all my life. Now, it's becoming more and more gentrified with people of all races, although mostly white.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 AM

16 posts, read 34,646 times
I have lived in Baltimore all of my life. There are places, experience and facts, that are predominantly white. These places include Fed Hill, Fells Point, Canton, Hampden, Locust Point just to name a few. Have I ever been a part of violence in these neighborhoods? No, not the slightest. However, I do feel that most residents in these areas feel a different way about me, seeing as if I do don't really fit in with the current status quo of the neighborhood(s).

I honestly think that if there was any hate, it would most likely be concealed. Now don't me wrong, I have met some wonderful people in these areas, but not all are going to be welcoming or polite. I am black BTW.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM

457 posts, read 685,361 times
Steer clear of Armistead Gardens. That's really the only white neighborhood in Baltimore that comes to mind that confederate flags wouldn't be out of place.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,000,535 times
I'm pretty sure you can live in the nice areas of Baltimore (which are all predominantly, but not "all" white) as a black person. I'm white so can't give you a firsthand experience, but there are definitely black people in Federal Hill, Locust Point, Canton, Fells, Mt. Vernon, etc that aren't constant hate crime victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore