Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:46 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times

Advertisements

Phillips is a local company that employs quite a few people, but their food to us is like someone from Boston going to Red Lobster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:12 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Phillips is a local company that employs quite a few people, but their food to us is like someone from Boston going to Red Lobster.
Phillips also uses canned Asian Blue Swimming Crab in their crab dishes, not even non-local fresh Blue Crab meat. Trust me, I worked there, like half the cooks in Baltimore. Great Inner Harbor location and view, very mediocre overpriced food, strictly for the tourists.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I am hoping that Phillips improves their quality at their new location in the former ESPN Zone. I love to support locals and the local economy but must admit that their food is not always the most inspiring. I will be the first to line up at their new location hoping for the best.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,531 times
Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about this relatively new place in Fells Point:

Thames Street Oyster House

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about this relatively new place in Fells Point:

Thames Street Oyster House
Hmmmm...!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Some of the old-style East Baltimore bars still do .25/.50 raw oysters or clams on some nights, or for Football Sundays-you gotta kind of walk up on them tho'. Much as I dislike recommending Cross St. bars, I heartily endorse this place's oyster selection: Ryleigh's Oyster - 36 E. Cross Street, Federal Hill . Great happy hour oyster deals with a wide selection from the upper and lower bay, and the Atlantic coast (sometimes Pacific varieties available too), always shucked to order by an engagingly goofy staff-shucker.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
I second, Ryleigh's is really good. Their Seafood Salad is really good, and try their Feta/Old Bay Corn on the Cobb.... delicious. But everything I've had there is good.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:12 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Well, when you live hundreds of miles away...It was a destination when I would visit New Jersey or DC. Primarily for the buffet.

Trust me, Red Lobster in Boston is not that big of a deal. Boston seems to love chain restaurants, anyways. I spent three years in Maine, and let me tell you, you would get kicked out of that state for even mentioning Red Lobster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Phillips also uses canned Asian Blue Swimming Crab in their crab dishes, not even non-local fresh Blue Crab meat. Trust me, I worked there, like half the cooks in Baltimore. Great Inner Harbor location and view, very mediocre overpriced food, strictly for the tourists.
Ha! Cooking is my profession...although I am not exactly a professional cook. I'll give them a call since I'll be in need of a job soon.

What kind of $$ could I expect to get paid working in a kitchen? I have plenty of seafood experience, but my "specialty" is hand-tossed pizza.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Ha! Cooking is my profession...although I am not exactly a professional cook. I'll give them a call since I'll be in need of a job soon.

What kind of $$ could I expect to get paid working in a kitchen? I have plenty of seafood experience, but my "specialty" is hand-tossed pizza.

Phillips is a high-volume, high kitchen-turnover rate corporate restaurant, thus wages are not good. If you have no experience I would expect you would start in the $8-9/hr range. My friend Andy found himself in a similar situation there several years ago (he had very little experience) and spent two months of 40 hour weeks doing nothing but thawing, peeling and de-veining 5# boxes of shrimp.
They are always hiring, tho'.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
FINALLY made it to Thames St. Oyster House on our 2nd try Thurs night (1st was Wed - drove the rental car to Fell's Point and couldn't find ANY parking - gave up and ended up at the Rusty Scupper!!). Decided to get a cab to Thames St. from our hotel Thurs. night and it was easy to get another cab back from there. Had a wonderful meal in Thames Street's courtyard! Fantastic from start to finish. AND..... I must say what I had at the Scupper Wed. night wasn't bad at all.

Thanks to all for the help - we've found a new favorite long weekend go-to place! LOVED Baltimore more than I thought I would!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore