Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:16 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyv View Post
I'm going to piggyback off of this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm kinda looking for the same thing, although I'm a bit older (early 30s). Single, looking for bars, restaurants, etc. but nothing too young/loud. I've spent a bit of time in Baltimore and like Canton/Fells point, but am looking at Mt. Vernon and maybe Hampden as well. I also would not be bringing a car with me, so within walking distance to groceries/bars/restaurants is important, as well as a decent bus commute (I'd be working in Greenmount/Charles Village area). Thoughts?
Charles Village and Mt. Vernon both have a Eddie's Super Market which is a great place. Hampden has a Fresh and Green... jury still out on that place. Bars in Mt. Vernon are more artsy and gay bars, but not entirely, Hampden is kind of a Hipster neighborhood, but also young professional as well.

I'm guessing you are working near Greenmount ave? That is the Eastern part of Charles Village. Hampden is West of CV, Mt. Vernon is south. Unfortunately your work it is not on the Light Rail, or Charm City Circulator. There is a Hopkins shuttle that goes from the Hospital, through Mt. Vernon and to the University. Not sure if you need a badge.

There is also the bus, which can be a little interesting.

JHMI to Homewood Shuttle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 32,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Charles Village and Mt. Vernon both have a Eddie's Super Market which is a great place. Hampden has a Fresh and Green... jury still out on that place. Bars in Mt. Vernon are more artsy and gay bars, but not entirely, Hampden is kind of a Hipster neighborhood, but also young professional as well.

I'm guessing you are working near Greenmount ave? That is the Eastern part of Charles Village. Hampden is West of CV, Mt. Vernon is south. Unfortunately your work it is not on the Light Rail, or Charm City Circulator. There is a Hopkins shuttle that goes from the Hospital, through Mt. Vernon and to the University. Not sure if you need a badge.

There is also the bus, which can be a little interesting.

JHMI to Homewood Shuttle
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'd be working between Greenmount and Calvert. I'd have no affiliation with JHU, so the shuttle wouldn't work. I'd be looking at city buses most likely, which I'm accustomed to.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM

187 posts, read 364,021 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'd be working between Greenmount and Calvert. I'd have no affiliation with JHU, so the shuttle wouldn't work. I'd be looking at city buses most likely, which I'm accustomed to.

You have no reason not to live in Charles Village. I've never known anyone to ride buses in Baltimore, and walking to CV from any other neighborhood is not something you'd want to do regularly. The only downside might be the large student population if you don't want something too "young", but I'm certain there's a great variety of people living there.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,254 times
hey is mt vernon like west hollywood or something? i noticed it has a lot of gay bars. not against gays at all, but not my scene exactly. its good to see that i guess because i dont think ive ever seen a gay bar in a bad part of town.

are there enough regular establishments though?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
I'm going to piggyback off of this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm kinda looking for the same thing, although I'm a bit older (early 30s). Single, looking for bars, restaurants, etc. but nothing too young/loud. I've spent a bit of time in Baltimore and like Canton/Fells point, but am looking at Mt. Vernon and maybe Hampden as well. I also would not be bringing a car with me, so within walking distance to groceries/bars/restaurants is important, as well as a decent bus commute (I'd be working in Greenmount/Charles Village area). Thoughts?
Charles Village.
They have the Waverly Farmers Market every Saturday and two grocery stores nearby. They have the bars/restaurants. You wouldn't have to travel to far to work. In fact, you can walk it.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo567 View Post
hey is mt vernon like west hollywood or something? i noticed it has a lot of gay bars. not against gays at all, but not my scene exactly. its good to see that i guess because i dont think ive ever seen a gay bar in a bad part of town.

are there enough regular establishments though?
Although many of the gay clubs are located in Mt. Vernon, not all of them are. There is a very nice mix of people in the neighborhood. It is not West Hollywood by any means of the imagination.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
The Hardcore single, partying scenes for Young Professionals is definitely Federal Hill and Canton, with Fells Point slightly behind the both. Mt. Vernon has a lot of different scenes, and is more of an Artsy neighborhood. Mt. Vernon has Brewers Art which is one of the most popular Beer Bars in the City though.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:33 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
I was recently introduced to the Owl Bar in the Belvedere Building in Mt Vernon. I'd definitely recommend going again. It's a former speak easy and just had such a cool atmosphere to it.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 AM

158 posts, read 395,678 times
I live in Mt. Vernon, am 32, not single, but like to go out... And I love it. Yes there are a lot of gay bars but I wouldn't call it West Hollywood - it's not that gay. Lots of other bars, restaurants, etc. that cater to everyone. From the two people asking - - I would recommend Fed Hill for yoyo567 and Mt. Vernon for BiggyV. BiggyV - - do you have a bike?? Biking to work would be perfect for your short commute - way quicker than bus and you can bike up Charles and then east... Bus would be totally doable too - plenty of northbound routes take you straight up Charles, Calvert, straight down St. Paul.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM

83 posts, read 447,670 times
Federal Hill (technically Riverside) below Randall has a different character depending on how close you are to the park. East of Light St. is totally gentrified. But the western side is still in transition. I don't think you'll see crackheads but there are a lot of traditional blue-collar bawlmore folks and worse looking properties. Look on padmapper.com and you'll see that a lot of what shows up in that SW corner is different than the rest of Fed Hill. I don't think there is any reason to feel unsafe but some of the blocks are a bit unsavory. Also pay attention to how close you are to 95. The constant drone of highway noise on the southern most blocks would annoy me.

All of southern Fed Hill is within a 10 minute walk of the Shopper's Food Warehouse and Rite Aid. They aren't the best supermarket and drug store but they do the job. Everyone is excited about the Harris Teeter that is opening up soon. It might be further then you want to walk with bags of groceries but I'll be glad to not have a long drive to get to a suburban caliber supermarket. There's also the Cross St. Market which is a great place to pick up fresh items (the butcher and fish vendors are fantastic).

The Charm City Circulator is a great free bus service for getting downtown but it doesn't have late night hours. I bike everywhere, myself. It's really not a bike friendly city but you can do it as long as you are willing to fight with the cars.

biggyv, I don't think you are going to like the bar scene in Fed Hill. You sound like me and I don't like it. It's mostly a frat boy, sports bar scene. Mt. Vernon and Hampden are definitely more urban and hip. Fells/Canton is still a partying atmosphere but skews more to our age and not post-college. Fed Hill does have a lot of good restaurants.

If you want a lively bar scene with less douchebags then I think Canton is great. That's where I would live except I prefer the easier SW commuting from Fed Hill. Mt. Vernon is too dense for me. Hampden is self-consciously hipster and is also somewhat of an isolated pocket. If you go north of Fells, west of Patterson be careful. It's a block by block situation. I think Little Italy would be a great place to live but not many rentals show up there. I think people buy and stay. (I'm being highly critical. I'm sure you could find great places to live in any of these areas but these are my general impressions.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore