Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
anchorage? really? wow

what in the world are they doing up there?

and where in the world is rockford, illinois?
As has been mentioned, Anchorage has a decent-sized gang and drug problem. It is also closer to Japan/Russia than Hawaii...making it a prime location for smuggled goods en route to Canada/West Coast U.S.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,840 times
jonjj, didn't you live in Anchorage?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I've had a few friends who have lived in Alaska and they have all told me the same thing about Alaska, high drug use and high suicide rate.

i'm not a lawman but does suicide actually count against your crime/murder rates? is that classified as a crime against self?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Our Metro Area is what should be compared to other Cities, because many city's limits go out as far as our metro area does. All of our bad areas are in the city limits, making the rates a little out of proportion.

i've been saying this for YEARS. baltimore is about 80 square miles, in comparison Houston, TX is about 800 square miles lol

Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If you watch the TV Show "Gangland" It featured Anchorage... There are alot of drug gangs from LA. The show noted that folks were moving up there and becoming residents in order to get some "oil refund" that is given to all state residents. They were then using it to buy drugs to sell or to use. Areas outside of town are remote.. people were stashing bodies in the snow and they wouldnt be found for months.

Wow if St. Louis and Birmingham have had 530 and 380 murders respectively.. its time to build a wall around them... I cant believe that they would have that many murders especially since they are smaller than Baltimore... .unreal...

as long as the majority of those murders are young black men killing other young black men, no one will care. if salt lake city or portland, oregon averaged 200 murders a year of young white men, they'd probably call in the national guard. the reality is that something has to be done because eventually crime, especially violent crime, has a way of spreading out and affecting unintended victims. from what i've heard, traditional drug sales (crack, coke, weed, etc.) are way down in most cities throughout the US while new drugs like meth and rx drugs like percs are way up. what that means is that the folks who made a living off of the old stuff have to find new ways of making money. i can't say that's an adequate justification of the alarming murder rates in midwest and southern tier cities but it's not a far fetched assumption either.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
i've been saying this for YEARS. baltimore is about 80 square miles, in comparison Houston, TX is about 800 square miles lol
I wish that was the case, then us quality city residents wouldn't be stuck with the tax burden, and the school system as a whole would probably be pretty good.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,903,979 times
Yeah sure, Tallahassee is more dangerous than Baltimore?

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
jonjj, didn't you live in Anchorage?
Nope-that's one I haven't lived in although I have a niece studying at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. So, I never really got a feel for Anchorage.

You know, I am so fortunate to be able to have lived in many places and have the fortune to travel with work. It broadens one's experiences. And I am so happy for you to have the experience of living in Baltimore after having grown up in Saverna Park. You must feel like a man of the world now with so much to say.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 AM

775 posts, read 1,783,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Nope-that's one I haven't lived in although I have a niece studying at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. So, I never really got a feel for Anchorage.

You know, I am so fortunate to be able to have lived in many places and have the fortune to travel with work. It broadens one's experiences. And I am so happy for you to have the experience of living in Baltimore after having grown up in Saverna Park. You must feel like a man of the world now with so much to say.
Wait! I grew up in Severna Park? News to me.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,651,651 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If you watch the TV Show "Gangland" It featured Anchorage... There are alot of drug gangs from LA. The show noted that folks were moving up there and becoming residents in order to get some "oil refund" that is given to all state residents. They were then using it to buy drugs to sell or to use. Areas outside of town are remote.. people were stashing bodies in the snow and they wouldnt be found for months.

Wow if St. Louis and Birmingham have had 530 and 380 murders respectively.. its time to build a wall around them... I cant believe that they would have that many murders especially since they are smaller than Baltimore... .unreal...
This isnt about murders its violent crimes. Murder is more of a tell tell sign. Memphis is bigger than Bmore and listed as more dangerous. However last year Memphis had 93 murders while Bmore had about 230+. In terms of murder rate for large cities in these times its always been New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, and St. Louis the way these cities are trending. So things may slowly be looking up for charm city but based on the national trend....NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore