U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,203,694 times
Really?

I lived (thankfully past tense) in Federal Hill for 6 years. Try driving down Hanover St and tell me what you see - noticeable trash on the streets, strung-out drug users & dealers and prostitutes. This carries over to sections of Charles and Light Sts. I've seen hypodermics on the ground on some of the "nicer" streets in Federal Hill, including streets near Federal Hill park (William St & Riverside). This is true. I was victim of an attempted robbery on Light St - thankfully, I was bigger than the person that attempted to knock me down to take my wallet.

But you are correct, I lie about the state of Baltimore City - it's such a pleasant place to live. Especially if you enjoy crime, trash, drugs, prostitution, thugs, police helicopters (the city bird of Baltimore).

I have other friends who lived in this area that find drug users on their front steps. I've called the Baltimore police as people were smoking and dealing drugs while sitting in front of a school - the police told me they would not respond.

Go down to the Inner Harbor and look at the trash build-up in the water. I used to see it every day as I jogged to Gold's Gym at Powerpoint.

If you enjoy Baltimore that's wonderful, but don't try to sugar-coat it for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 04:12 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,040,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Really?

I lived (thankfully past tense) in Federal Hill for 6 years. Try driving down Hanover St and tell me what you see - noticeable trash on the streets, strung-out drug users & dealers and prostitutes. This carries over to sections of Charles and Light Sts. I've seen hypodermics on the ground on some of the "nicer" streets in Federal Hill, including streets near Federal Hill park (William St & Riverside). This is true. I was victim of an attempted robbery on Light St - thankfully, I was bigger than the person that attempted to knock me down to take my wallet.

But you are correct, I lie about the state of Baltimore City - it's such a pleasant place to live. Especially if you enjoy crime, trash, drugs, prostitution, thugs, police helicopters (the city bird of Baltimore).

I have other friends who lived in this area that find drug users on their front steps. I've called the Baltimore police as people were smoking and dealing drugs while sitting in front of a school - the police told me they would not respond.

Go down to the Inner Harbor and look at the trash build-up in the water. I used to see it every day as I jogged to Gold's Gym at Powerpoint.

If you enjoy Baltimore that's wonderful, but don't try to sugar-coat it for people.
Be careful now on what you say. Here is a direct quote from you on a previous thread:

Beyond that it is nothing special. One of the highest murder rates in the country. I can't say that I ever felt truly "safe" in Baltimore even though I never had any negative experiences. Unless you count the gunshots that I used to hear from time to time. I've had friends whose homes were broken into on several occassions - in Federal Hill. Those same friends have come home to crackheads doing blow on their doorsteps. One female friend was even chased down the street by a man with no pants on!! No, she does not live in Baltimore any longer!! Another friend robbed at gunpoint in Canton. Let's not forget about the constant police helicopters that grace the sky line. I recall walking my dogs in Riverside Park at 5pm on a winter night and suddenly have the helicopter's spot light fixed on me. Sorry, Fido time to run home and lock the door! IMO, Baltimore was getting worse the last 2 years that I lived there and this was part of the reason I left.

Now you are saying that you were attacked in Baltimore. Well, which one is it? "I never had any negative experiences" or "I was attacked in Baltimore but being the big strong man that I am, I fought him off". Funny how that slipped your mind on a previous post. I would think that if I was attacked in Baltimore I would have mentioned that. By the way, I have lived in the city for over 20 years and have NEVER had anything beyond the norm happen to me. Lucky I guess. Or, maybe one of us is telling the truth and one likes to exagerate.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 AM

12 posts, read 38,434 times
lol-god one jonjj-don't you love it when you catch someone in a lie? I rarely add to these forums because of all of the negativity. I just don't experience that in my day-to-day life in baltimore.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 AM

mik-I would prefer that folks just be honest. After all, there really is no reason to lie. Some people just can't justify an opinion so they make up stuff.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM

It would have been negative if he had actually stolen my wallet!! I never said I was a strong man, just bigger than the crackhead attempting to steal my wallet. I wasn't hurt or affected in any other way; so to me not all that negative. If you feel that I am exaggerating, that's fine. I'll let those that choose to move to Baltimore experience it for themselves. Maybe, he/she won't see it my way, that's great. But to say that the Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Fells Point & Canton don't have their share of trash, drugs, crime etc is totally untrue. I think it's great that you love your city - just try to be a little more truthful about it's shortcomings. Every city has them.

I never said that I didn't enjoy my stay in Baltimore. It's just that all the crime, drugs, dilapidation, etc got old after 6 years and it was time for me to me. I think there are a LOT of other people that would agree with me

Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
It would have been negative if he had actually stolen my wallet!! I never said I was a strong man, just bigger than the crackhead attempting to steal my wallet. I wasn't hurt or affected in any other way; so to me not all that negative. If you feel that I am exaggerating, that's fine. I'll let those that choose to move to Baltimore experience it for themselves. Maybe, he/she won't see it my way, that's great. But to say that the Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Fells Point & Canton don't have their share of trash, drugs, crime etc is totally untrue. I think it's great that you love your city - just try to be a little more truthful about it's shortcomings. Every city has them.

I never said that I didn't enjoy my stay in Baltimore. It's just that all the crime, drugs, dilapidation, etc got old after 6 years and it was time for me to me. I think there are a LOT of other people that would agree with me
I noted on another thread that I truely wish you the best of luck in the suburbs of Denver. I think that will be a great fit. Baltimore isn't for everyone and I respect your decision to leave if you are unhappy. I would do the same thing if I felt as you do and I harbor no ill feelings. Good luck to you!
By the way, every city, be it Boston (lived there for quite awhile), Cleveland, and even Denver have their share of areas that need improvement. I don't disagree at all. But the neighborhoods you singled out in Baltimore are certainly fine places to live. We just disagree on that point. Again, good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 AM

Again, I enjoyed my stay in Baltimore for about the first 4 years. It just got really old. I still have a few great friends there and I've visited several times since I left and loved it.

I totally agree that every city - especially the older East Coast cities - have need for improvement. There are areas in Boston and Cleveland where I wouldn't be comfortable in! I haven't found those in Denver yet but give me time!

I'm truly glad that you are so supportive of your city!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:29 AM

I have a good friend that lives near Colfax by Cheeseman Park (not sure on that spelling). But it is a great neighborhood. Everytime I have been there, I enjoyed it. I think the best Mexican breakfast I have ever had in the states is at a place right off of Colfax near there. Also,in that park, they have a great pool to use in the summer time. Inexpensive--maybe even free if you are a city resident. I know this is not Baltimore and a bit off-topic.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM

My wife will love to hear the news about a great Mexican breakfast!!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 PM

315 posts, read 889,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
mik-I would prefer that folks just be honest. After all, there really is no reason to lie. Some people just can't justify an opinion so they make up stuff.
Whoa! You just said a mouthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore