U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:48 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,159,153 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's up. We've got 3 people, 1 1/2 baths. If the toilet plunger is fine and isn't constantly draining and filling, could it be leaking from anywhere else? (Naive new homeowner here).

We did water our garden twice a day throughout the billing period but it still seems high. Maybe that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM

805 posts, read 1,237,301 times
I'm paying like $2 to $2.5 per day for water or $.33 to $.42 per person a day.

The avg. daily cons. is 222 gals.

Watering the plants could add a lot of consumption. Two summers ago I thought the bill was more from watering the plants. I also had a messed up toilet for awhile and I think that caused it to go up.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,952,851 times
Didn't mean to bash the city. When I bought the house my mom ended up living in, I was a single teacher and I surely couldn't have afforded to buy in the county. I loved my neighborhood (Hamilton.) I just didn't like the higher bills. But that was before I got married and moved to the county. Here, the bills are lower, but the mortgage is MUCH higher. So, you're right, it all evens out. I hope a leaky toilet (or faucet) was the issue and that your water bills get lower. Do you know any neighbors with whom you can compare bills?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,388,145 times
That still seems high. By myself and then with a roommate my bill was about $70 every quarter.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 AM

17,606 posts, read 23,805,174 times
people, people, people... stop talking about the bill amount.
Focus on the USAGE numbers: How many Cubic Feet of water?

I'm *hyper* conservative in my use...
My most recent bills average 135CF per month (per person).

hth

Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 AM

236 posts, read 155,830 times
Default baltimore city water dept is a scam and stealing our $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
How much is your water bill? I just got one for $240.

I've been fighting with baltimore city water dept for a few years. Our meter outside and got too many estimate water bills. We moved and kept the house for a rental. Was vacant 8 months, utilities turned off including water and got the highest bill ever. Wrote mayor and governor and they just forwarded my info to the worst city agency in md, the water dept. My bills now are over $900 for less then a 6 month bill and house vacant.. I did a telephone interview *taped* 2 months ago and still haven't heard anything. Water dept sent inspectors to house and found no leaks.. I'm sick of baltimore city and md's thievery on citizens.. Md is now the 4th highest taxed state in the country and last place for Job placement.. sick of the thieves padding their own pockets..

Old 11-15-2011, 05:29 AM

236 posts, read 155,830 times
Default well

How about 356 gallons of useage per day on a vacant property with water turned off. Many of us are being scammed because we've ignored to long..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
people, people, people... stop talking about the bill amount.
Focus on the USAGE numbers: How many Cubic Feet of water?

I'm *hyper* conservative in my use...
My most recent bills average 135CF per month (per person).

hth

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 AM

17,606 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a flag of honor View Post
How about 356 gallons of useage per day on a vacant property with water turned off.
hmm... Does this term "water turned off" mean turned off at the meter?

How to turn the water off at your water meter. - YouTube

Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,016,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
hmm... Does this term "water turned off" mean turned off at the meter?

How to turn the water off at your water meter. - YouTube
even though you can request to have it turned off at the meter, they usually never do it, i had to turn it off myself on a few of my properties. it's one of the ways the city tries to stick it to you.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM

158 posts, read 208,710 times
Hey Citi-Data forum... It's been awhile. We JUST received a water bill for $766. $766!!! CRAZY! Our past water bills were a mixture of actual readings and estimates - and they always were for $137. This is for a 4-unit building with about 7 occupants. First we checked our water meter - - we wanted to make sure that the meter reading (3674) from March 23 was correct. Looks like it could be - - since as of last night it was at 3696 - a delta of 22 (100s of cubic feet - maybe that is the unit?) for a period of 42 days. Anyway, using that delta - very conservatively we could estimate that we use about 20 cf of water per month - so about 60 cf of water per 3-month billing cycle. Not 124 as our current bill claims. If we generously assume the meter reading was correct, what is causing this ridiculous error is the PREVIOUS METER READING. The previous meter readings for our past bills has read 6337, 6350 (Ok - 18 cf use), 6355 (NOT OK b/c a) it should have increased more than just 5 cf to account for the 18 cf water they "estimated" that used), and 6350 (this is now two billing cycles where our previous meter didn't increase appropriate, and in fact, this one even DECREASED! Magically we put fresh water back into the system and made our meter spin backwards!!!). So it appears that the water department is double-charging us.

We of course are going to call and complain. And try our best to explain some simple math concepts to the idiots that man the phones in Baltimore. I love this city, but talking to these city employees is the WORST. They are some of the most unintelligent people I have ever spoken to. And clearly they HATE their jobs. Hate them. Why else would they put so little effort into them?? They only are given standard responses that they just spit back at you, without listening to what you're trying to explain to them. The only way to get somewhere is to a call a director or a director's boss. Fortunately, the city publishes everyone's phone number - - so you can just call the top right away.

Anyway, any tips/suggestions working with the Water Dept./Dept. of Public Works??? Anyone have any success stories getting a water bill corrected? I know the Dept. just went through a huge audit process and is providing refunds to folks who they overcharged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore