Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 PM

156 posts, read 182,027 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've tried looking around for this topic, but didn't find it.

So I'll be moving to Baltimore this summer and working at UMD. We have both seen Zenith and liked it. We just have safety concerns.

We have a dog, so we don't know how safe it would be to walk her early in the morning or in the early evenings.

Also, if we have a baby, how safe would it be to be in the area? We got the feeling its not a family friend environment. But its very convenient for me to get to work.

Thanks.

Also, any recommends rental properties in Pikesville or Ellicott city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
Google Baltimore pd crime stats and you can search for recent crimes by map. Really though you just have to go there and see how you feel. It is across from Camden yards so there certainly is a lot of foot traffic. The baltimore grand prix runs in front of the building on the current track.

As far as rentals go, what are you looking for?

Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
That's downtown baltimore, which is a pretty safe area.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:38 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
Hi,

I've tried looking around for this topic, but didn't find it.

So I'll be moving to Baltimore this summer and working at UMD. We have both seen Zenith and liked it. We just have safety concerns.

We have a dog, so we don't know how safe it would be to walk her early in the morning or in the early evenings.

Also, if we have a baby, how safe would it be to be in the area? We got the feeling its not a family friend environment. But its very convenient for me to get to work.

Thanks.

Also, any recommends rental properties in Pikesville or Ellicott city?
I think Dave's advice is good, go there at the times of day that you are concerned about and walk around. I think the Zenith area is fine it's by Camden Yards no way the city lets it become a cesspool of crime. They'll flood the area of cops before that happens.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
That's basically in the Ridgelys Delight neigborhood and in the University of MD Grad area. Pretty nice places, and lots of security. Certainly a dream spot for any baseball fan.... I hope there is stuff to cheer about soon!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM

156 posts, read 182,027 times
thanks.

I've been to the area twice in the past and have seen the apartments. Trying to decide if I need to make another trip to baltimore or not. I would rather choose a place we've seen than make another trip down.

Its hard to know how safe the area truly is though.

I appreciate the information. Thanks

Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
thanks.

I've been to the area twice in the past and have seen the apartments. Trying to decide if I need to make another trip to baltimore or not. I would rather choose a place we've seen than make another trip down.

University of Maryland police, stadium security, hotel security at the hilton, Baltimore city police, Marriott security. Yeah, that place it definitely safe.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
I too would consider it safe.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
thanks.

I don't think another trip is necessary if the trip is based on security concerns.

It's probably one of the safest parts of the city. Heck even Lex market which isn;t too far away, may look dicey to some is safe, always cops around.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
I looked into the building online--felt it was a little bit pricey for the location. It's Bozzuto, but, beware, the company has a habit of discounting your first year considerably to 'get you in' and then raising rents drastically upon renewal. I have good friends at the Fitzgerald who are moving after only a year due to a $400 per month proposed increase. If you can afford it, go for it. But, something to consider.

As other mentioned, security is adequate, but, it's a bit removed from other parts of the city. It's quiet at night. This can be a pro or con. Further, the surrounding perimeter may not be 'as safe' especially at night.

Bringing along a young child, I'd maybe suggest looking into Mount Vernon too. And, yes, I may be a bit biased since I live in the area, but, it may be a bit more family friendly and fit your specific needs. Still close to UMD, and, there's a bit more activity throughout the day and evening, plus parks, restaurants, transportation, etc. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat, I know moving is a big and intimidating step, especially to a new city/area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore