Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
My husband said the price of cocaine and heroin has been dropping for years and that has something to do with the drop in murder rates across the country. That and some of the larger organized gangs have been making a concerted effort to draw less police attention to themselves.
Prices don't have anything to do with it. Most of a cities homicides are gang/drug dealer related as they "protect" their territories. If people stopped doing these drugs, the homicide rate would drop even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Prices don't have anything to do with it. Most of a cities homicides are gang/drug dealer related as they "protect" their territories. If people stopped doing these drugs, the homicide rate would drop even more.
I argued back something along those lines. He said I was wrong. I still don't quite get what he was trying to say with concern to prices. LOL. I was hoping y'all would explain it to me.

Still, as always, most of this stuff is concentrated on the drug trade, so focusing on the participants (buyers and sellers) will usually pay off in some way. If you can figure out how to be effective there, that is 80% of the battle.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM

342 posts, read 912,526 times
Good News!!!
It may actually be true hopefully the police chief didn't fix his stats and file homicides as other random crimes like they have done before. but I will agree Baltimore has been improving a lot!! Now since they got the murders under control let's fix the population decline!!! WGood Work BPD!!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,139 times
I don't think the numbers are fixed anymore. There is too much 24x7 media now. I follow BCPD on twitter and they update every gun shot, plus various media outlets are on top of it as well. They even add homicides in to a years count when an actual shooting happened many years ago.... happened at least 7 times this year.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,268 times
When the shooting happened many years ago then I think the homicide should be listed for that year to be accurate. Maybe it's this way already.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:42 AM

83 posts, read 447,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Prices don't have anything to do with it.
Of course it does. More money in the game means more people are attracted it, it can support a larger enterprise of low level "employees", and people will take more risks for the higher reward.

Is someone more willing to kill over a corner that is worth $100 a day or $1000 a day?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM

226 posts, read 363,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillThePill View Post
Of course it does. More money in the game means more people are attracted it, it can support a larger enterprise of low level "employees", and people will take more risks for the higher reward.

Is someone more willing to kill over a corner that is worth $100 a day or $1000 a day?
your exactly right, money is the main factor when it comes to drug sales no one would be selling drugs if they werent paid an amount that is atleast reasonably worth facing jail and murder, when the prices come down the business isnt as lucrative and so people dont see it as a well paying job thats worth all of the risks associated with drug sales...another point people tend to overlook is that the criminal organizations are becoming more organized and sophisticated, the more organized the gangs are then there is less likely of a chance that the gangs will take actions that could be detrimental to the gang or their finances

Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Good News!!!
It may actually be true hopefully the police chief didn't fix his stats and file homicides as other random crimes like they have done before. but I will agree Baltimore has been improving a lot!! Now since they got the murders under control let's fix the population decline!!! WGood Work BPD!!
This achievement is very commendable! But please, don't let the positive news dilute your view so much as to think the murders are under control. 196 murders is absolutely absurd.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillThePill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
your exactly right, money is the main factor when it comes to drug sales no one would be selling drugs if they werent paid an amount that is atleast reasonably worth facing jail and murder, when the prices come down the business isnt as lucrative and so people dont see it as a well paying job thats worth all of the risks associated with drug sales...another point people tend to overlook is that the criminal organizations are becoming more organized and sophisticated, the more organized the gangs are then there is less likely of a chance that the gangs will take actions that could be detrimental to the gang or their finances
Thank you for explaining hat to me in a way that makes sense. My hubby has a public policy background and sometimes starts talking like he's reading out of a textbook. LOL

He also said the part about gangs getting more organized and not wanting all the police attention that comes with shooting up a bunch of folks.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I am mean, but at least I am anonymous. After moving to MD in the early 90's, I thought..well drugs and a high murder rate...it is just a matter of time before the drug users die out and the drug dealers kill one another. We're all precious in God's eyes, so I don't really mean to judge, but I guess it is happening. I mean...if there a lot of murders, at some point there are going to be fewer people to shoot one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore