Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

sounds like u r working on a law suit. i dont want to encourage this.
it could be that its not about afro americans at all, but his concern about criminals on craigslist.
lots of them use craigslist, and maybe u said or did something to make him concerned.
i want u to know there are some craigslist inquiries i get that give me the creeps. but this does not make me a member of the klan or deserving of a law suit.
when the sheep huddle the wolves think its discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Never send an email on craigslist telling anyone anything about yourself. There are too many scams that do exactly that. Just ask for more info or set up a showing. There's quite a few African Americans on my block, they fit right in... So it's not a neighborhood thing. Maybe it's a bad landlord, who knows, but renting is competitive these days down here, so in the future I would just ask to see places and let them worry about the details later, which at most should be credit and job status.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 16,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sounds like u r working on a law suit. i dont want to encourage this.
it could be that its not about afro americans at all, but his concern about criminals on craigslist.
lots of them use craigslist, and maybe u said or did something to make him concerned.
i want u to know there are some craigslist inquiries i get that give me the creeps. but this does not make me a member of the klan or deserving of a law suit.
when the sheep huddle the wolves think its discrimination.
He hasn't said anything about filing a lawsuit, but why would you discourage him from filing one? The OP seems to think that he's been on the receiving end of some questionable tenant selection processes, and if an organization experienced in fighting these cases thinks he has a basis to sue, then he has every right to take the legal recourse allowed him by the Civil Rights Act of 1968.

And by the way, it's not up to the landlord to decide whether he's discriminating against people based on race/gender/family status/nationality or deserving of a lawsuit. That's the judge or jury's responsibility.

Discrimination in housing hurts everyone, not just the person who is deprived of a place to live. It distorts housing markets and weakens neighborhoods. On a more abstract level, it perpetuates the cycle of suspicion,fear, and hostility that has brought Baltimore to its current condition.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
The only thing a landlord in the city owning 5 or less units can not discriminate against is if the prospective tenant is a homosexual. Anything else, albeit very few would have the gumption to say race was their deciding factor, can be used to screen a tenant.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
The only thing a landlord in the city owning 5 or less units can not discriminate against is if the prospective tenant is a homosexual. Anything else, albeit very few would have the gumption to say race was their deciding factor, can be used to screen a tenant.
Thanks for the clarification on the recent sexual orientation amendment. Did you mean "can not" be used to screen tenants?

BTW, can the Civil Rights Commission do an informal inquiry, such as request a meeting, with the landlord? You should not have to go to a full-fledged lawsuit to enforce the non-discrimination law.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
davejc, i heard from a landlord that if you own and live a building with apartments then you can say that you don't feel comfortable with a tenant and deny a lease. Do you know if this is true?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the recent sexual orientation amendment. Did you mean "can not" be used to screen tenants?

BTW, can the Civil Rights Commission do an informal inquiry, such as request a meeting, with the landlord? You should not have to go to a full-fledged lawsuit to enforce the non-discrimination law.
I did say can not. As far as the other questions, at this small of a scale a landlord can deny for whatever reason they choose, except for sexual preference. Unless a landlord specifically denied a tenant because of their race and this was in writing, they really can just use any reason they would like. They could deny for credit, background, income etc on paper and have their own reasons but that would be hard to prove. If you could prove that your credit or whatever was X amount and was denied base on that yet they rented to other races with an amount less than such, you could make a case.

Frankly though, would you even really want to have that person as a landlord? I would think the hassle wouldn't make it worthwhile.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:35 AM

37 posts, read 90,757 times
Default Becasue they don't want your black ass there!!!

Come on now!! The writing is on the wall. They don't want you and they don't like you!! Leave these white folks alone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
I have a question I am not originally from Baltimore. I am African American and have had a difficult time trying to find rentals in Fed Hill, Locust Point and Mount Vernon. Usually these listings or of those of private owners. Some of this listings I have found on craigslist. I will send an email tell the landlord a little about myself and hear NOTHING back!!! To test my theory of racism(because I did not want to jump to conclusions) I will have a white friend or someone with an English name contact the same landlord and get a response back immediately? Is there some secret code I do not know about. Why are private owners in particulary Fed Hill relunctant to rent to African Americans and I have spoken to other African Americans who say they have experienced the same problem and that I would fare better in Charles Village or Bolton Hill? Fed. Hill is convenient as far as work goes and to the Inner harbor which is where I would like to reside. Can these people be reported to HUD? How can I go about proving housing discrimination from private owners. I would appreciate any advice thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
This guy didn't say he told these landlords a lot about himself. He could just have a name that people read as black-sounding (say, Takenisha Jenkins or Jamal Washington) so they don't respond to him.

Boston was notorious for this kind of thing at one point. It does happen so it is possible. But I'm not sure what you can do but keep trying. Tell them your name, where you're coming to work and why you want to live in that area then let it go. You probably don't want to rent from the person who has a problem with your race anyway.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Oh it happens. I was a rental agent in NYC and one landlord only wanted "clean" Blacks. I reported he to NYC civil rights folks. Nothin really happened since her buildings were in the Upper West Side and few Blacks could afford it there.

Then there was the Dominican superintendent who said his landlord didn't want blacks. He assumed that since I am Black my client was Black, she was not. I asked him since you are Black where do you live. He said I'm the exception.

Then there was a time I took my white female client to see an apartment uptown in Inwood. She loves it, the super who showed us the apartment really liked her and was sellin it. Well she wanted her husband to see it. So the next day her Puerto Rican husband, I mean this dude was straight from PR could not speak English, comes to see it. The supers demeanor changes completely it was so obvious the wife picked up on it and complained to my manager and threatened to sue. The landlord called her and me to apologize. I think she took it to the city but not sure what happened.

It's sad but that's the reality out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: