Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,695 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to Maryland later this spring so that I can attend UMCP. We would like to be in a more urban (walkable) area, so initially we had planned on living in DC, but have since found out that we must live in Maryland proper.

We have been looking at the Inner Harbor neighborhood for its proximity to the Camden line but have a few questions that hopefully locals could answer a little better than Google searches have been.

Most of the information I can find about the neighborhood is about visiting. I understand it's a more tourist-y area, but can we live there too? Not too worried about game-day traffic or anything like that, but do younger locals hang out in this area? Is it feasible to live in this area without a car?

I was also curious about the commute to College Park. I know the Camden line has a pretty limited schedule. Is taking the light rail > B30 bus > C2 bus or green line my only public transit alternative? It looks like this method takes minimum 2 hours. Is this a realistic commute if I need go to class or get home outside of peak commute times, or do we need to give up on urban living?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Do you have a car? It's a really easy drive, 30-40 minutes, rarely traffic.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,695 times
We have cars, we weren't planning on bringing them. Between parking/gas/insurance/payments, it became kind of a dealbreaker.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
That would be pretty miserable waiting on public transportation to get to college park. I did the drive for awhile and it isn't that bad, just kind of long. There are a number of places to live in the IH like 414 Water St

Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
In addition, the College Park campus is so big it's not especially walkable. (You apparently know there's a shuttle bus to get to campus from the Metro stop.) If you are determined to live without a car, I would live in a closer neighborhood like 4-Corners (on the C2 bus line) in Silver Spring or somewhere in Berwyn.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
how frequently do you need to travel to the campus?
That's the deciding factor.

If it's for an undergrad with fulltime schedule... live in CP or Greenbelt.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
I would live closer to College Park....Bethesda, Silver Spring or Rockville. I lived in a loft in the Inner Harbor when I first moved here - not much of a neighborhood feel, plus it was kind of sketchy at night.

Regardless of where you choose to live, you will definitely need a vehicle.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
If you want to live down here, I would recommend neighborhoods downtown near the highway or train like Federal Hill, Otterbein, Ridgelys' Delight, Locust Point, Barre Circle, or the UMD area.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 AM

65 posts, read 158,730 times
Yeah I'm going to second that a vehicle is necessary in Baltimore. There IS a lot within walking distance, and most days I only use my car to drive to and from work, but I still need my car whenever I make a large grocery trip (the local Super Fresh has a terrible selection) or shop for anything other than clothes. Honestly I don't think Baltimore has very good shopping options; I find myself driving at least once every other week to Columbia or Towson for basic household goods and pet supplies. On the bright side, you'll have many great restaurants within walking distance (or a short ride on the free circulator).

Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
I have a car too and life without it would be difficult. I work out of the city so it would be a real pain to take public transportation. I also use it to get groceries and do other shopping.

For pet shopping, check out Howl in Hampden.
Welcome (http://www.howlbaltimore.com/Welcome.html - broken link)

It's a nice pet shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore