Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM

22 posts, read 46,871 times

Advertisements

Hi we are considering relocating to Baltimore. My husband took a job and is commuting. Thought the family would stay in Austin but now we are thinking of moving.
We have 3 kids, 2 in elementary school and 1 preschool. We will be living in the suburbs. Great public schools are a must, we are not private school people.
We were only looking at Ruxton, Lutherville-Timonium, and Cockeysville until now.
Should we consider Howard County as well? I know there are good schools there too.
My husband works in Harbor East but does a fair amount of traveling as well.
How is the commute from both areas to Harbor East? I know it's not great but which is better.

Thanks in advance. Will probably have more questions to come!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
I think your commute would be easier from Lutherville/Timonium. You basically take 83 south and it is a straight shot, and you avoid downtown. From Howard, you would either have to go through downtown to get to Harbor East or through Canton, but the commute wouldn't be that bad.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I think your commute would be easier from Lutherville/Timonium. You basically take 83 south and it is a straight shot, and you avoid downtown. From Howard, you would either have to go through downtown to get to Harbor East or through Canton, but the commute wouldn't be that bad.
Thanks good point! I didn't think of going through downtown. We have driven to Ruxton and Towson, just on a Saturday.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
In that North Baltimore County area, the schools are very good, but a strong percentage of people go to the private schools. Probably mostly because of family tradition, the sport programs are top notch, and there is just a ton of money around there. Most people in Howard County are public school all the way.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
The public schools in Howard County are very well regarded, especially the Ellicott City and Clarksville schools.

Baltimore County school districts along the I-83 corridor are also excellent and no better/worse than their Howard County counterparts, but as an above poster alluded many children in this area, especially in Ruxton and Lutherville, go to private schools. The private school culture in Baltimore and its suburbs is very strong and if you are an upper middle class family moving into an established upper middle class neighborhood you may very well find most of the neighborhood kids at the various prep schools (particularly in Ruxton). If that bothers you you might be happier in Howard County. That said there are still plenty of families perfectly happy with the public schools and certain areas south of Towson value the Stoneleigh Elementary - Dunbarton Middle - Towson High route.

Baltimore County also has a better range of shopping and dining options than Howard County and access to/from the city is much easier.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM

274 posts, read 678,760 times
Yeah in Ruxton just about ALL the kids look like J Crew models and go to one of the Roland park 5 private schools...Bryn Marw, Roland Park Country School, Gilman, thats three....there's others I can't remember. Beautiful area though...with lots of beautiful, super wealthy kids riding around in BMWs and toting lacrosse sticks everywhere. I used to work at Gilman and lived in Ruxton.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times
If you're spouse flies often for work, Howard County is very close to BWI and 30-45 minutes from Harbor East (during non-commute hours). The schools are terrific - search the threads on this site. No 5A mega schools - nice 1200-1600 students in the HS and they're focus is not on sports, but there are plenty of opportunities for activities in HoCo (lacrosse of course, but also rugby, hockey, irish dancing, you name it). You will pay a premium to live in HoCo and coming from Texas it's quiet a cost of living adjustment (we just moved to Dallas from Ellicott City). You may find some families sending their kids to private Catholic school, but most people are in HoCo for the public school system. HoCo public schools are ethically diverse (50% of the students are minorities), but the county as a whole isn't ecomonically diverse, although there are areas of HoCo that are more affordable than others. If you believe in public schools, HoCo is among the top in Maryland and the commute time to downtown wouldn't be terrible. Definately keep it on your list since it works with your requirements. Also, being between Baltimore and DC is pretty nice, as DC has lots of offer a family with school age kids.
Shopping in HoCo is pretty basic. But don't feel you have to go all the way to "whole paychecks" for groceries as Roots in Clarksville offers a good alternative (maybe it should be called "root through my wallet and take everything out"). No high end shopping in HoCo, but it's got your basics - Costco, Trader Joes, the Columbia Mall and a Wegman's is coming soon (if your a foodee). I loved living near the stripmall with the Target/Safeway/Michaels/Staples/Barnes&Nobel/Old Navy/Kohls. What else could one need? (not want, but need).

Old 01-29-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
If you're spouse flies often for work, Howard County is very close to BWI and 30-45 minutes from Harbor East (during non-commute hours). The schools are terrific - search the threads on this site. No 5A mega schools - nice 1200-1600 students in the HS and they're focus is not on sports, but there are plenty of opportunities for activities in HoCo (lacrosse of course, but also rugby, hockey, irish dancing, you name it). You will pay a premium to live in HoCo and coming from Texas it's quiet a cost of living adjustment (we just moved to Dallas from Ellicott City). You may find some families sending their kids to private Catholic school, but most people are in HoCo for the public school system. HoCo public schools are ethically diverse (50% of the students are minorities), but the county as a whole isn't ecomonically diverse, although there are areas of HoCo that are more affordable than others. If you believe in public schools, HoCo is among the top in Maryland and the commute time to downtown wouldn't be terrible. Definately keep it on your list since it works with your requirements. Also, being between Baltimore and DC is pretty nice, as DC has lots of offer a family with school age kids.
Shopping in HoCo is pretty basic. But don't feel you have to go all the way to "whole paychecks" for groceries as Roots in Clarksville offers a good alternative (maybe it should be called "root through my wallet and take everything out"). No high end shopping in HoCo, but it's got your basics - Costco, Trader Joes, the Columbia Mall and a Wegman's is coming soon (if your a foodee). I loved living near the stripmall with the Target/Safeway/Michaels/Staples/Barnes&Nobel/Old Navy/Kohls. What else could one need? (not want, but need).
Thanks! Gives me some good info and opinions to go by. I really don't know if the move will happen yet.
The cost of living is higher going from Austin to Baltimore is higher but not as big of a difference to Dallas. Especially the housing and property taxes.
I wonder if people would think I was crazy to move. I do have the option of staying here with the kids and hubby commutes here. It's just hard on the family life.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevo View Post
Thanks good point! I didn't think of going through downtown. We have driven to Ruxton and Towson, just on a Saturday.
I drive through downtown Baltimore everyday it's not that bad on most days.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
For all its affluence it's peculiar that HoCo doesn't have a more impressive dining and shopping scene. Who knows why?

To the original poster: If you're familiar with Dallas, then Ruxton as well as the city neighborhoods just inside the city border are comparable to Highland/University Park, while Howard County is comparable to Plano.

Both affluent areas but with different lifestyle preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore