U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM

235 posts, read 280,232 times

Advertisements

Looking for houses still. Affordable...with character...yard...personality. I've taken everybody's advice and am looking in Medfield, and Parkville...etc. But what about the Ednor Gardens area? I looked on the crime map and it seems like a safe little pocket-but do I want to be surrounded by crime? or is it that bad? The houses are great. Advice? Is it safe to get on my bike and bike around? go jogging? Walk to shops/restaurants? are there any? Should I steer clear?

Thanks for any advice-once again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM

84 posts, read 54,792 times
I'm also interested by this topic, Ednor Gardens seems to have plenty of properties listed but more information about the area would be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,163,538 times
I love Ednor Gardens, but I'm biased. I was, until recently, a third generation resident of the neighborhood. My grandmother lived there for almost 60 years. Now I live quite close but outside of the boundaries.

The houses in the original part of EG (bounded by Ellerslie, Chestnut Hill Ave, Ednor Rd and 36th st) were built to be a step up from your average Baltimore rowhome. Lots of neat details, i.e. lots of them still have the original "crystal" doorknobs.

EG prevailed through the tumultuous years of Baltimore pretty well, but the crack wave of the early 90s was hard on Ednor Gardens. My grandmother was robbed twice back then. However things have improved steadily since then and it is back to being a very nice place.

Positives: One of the more "green" (trees, gardens, ivy) nabes in all of Baltimore. It's very pleasant to walk around. Quick walk to the YMCA and new running track around "memorial field" a new field-turf athletic field. Rt 36 bus runs right through the neighborhood for easy access downtown or up to Belvedere Square, and other buses are within 4 blocks (22, 3, 8, 48). 10 minute walk to Giant for groceries. Also a nice walk to the Waverly Farmers Market.

Negatives: Unless you want to take a long walk, you'll find yourself in the car for a lot of things as there really isn't any food or entertainment within easy walking distance. but it's still close to everywhere. You might also check crime data, as Ednor Gardens is certainly the wealthiest area in this part of Baltimore, it always seemed to me that it attracted more burglaries. The areas to the northeast of here (up Loch Raven), and northwest (Pen Lucy) do not look especially blighted but aren't great. However I don't think this area is riskier than anywhere else in the city if you use common sense.

It was out of my price range when I was looking though but now I see some lower prices.

You both can DM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Thanks so much. I'm torn. I really really like the look and feel of the homes up there. How is the commute to the city? Is it lots of waiting at lights? Lots of back up/gridlock at certain times? or is it easy in/easy out? Is the commute to Anne Arundel Co. from that area a particular headache? What would be the route? Thanks again!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,163,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Thanks so much. I'm torn. I really really like the look and feel of the homes up there. How is the commute to the city? Is it lots of waiting at lights? Lots of back up/gridlock at certain times? or is it easy in/easy out? Is the commute to Anne Arundel Co. from that area a particular headache? What would be the route? Thanks again!
Commute to the city ... you are in the city, so do you mean downtown? There's a few ways to do it depending on your destination. I'm assuming you mean by car, so the best way is probably just 33rd street to St Paul. No usual backups beyond average volume-based rush hour. You of course will run into traffic lights because it's not like these are expressways.

Its also pretty easy to bike or take the bus downtown from this location if you want to avoid parking down there. If you walk to 39th and Greenmount you can take the 48 downtown which runs every 15 minutes during the week and stops only a few times.

TO AA County ... where exactly? I'd imagine the best way to most of it would be 33rd > Charles > Art Museum Dr > Howard St > MLK > Russell St > 295. It's a well worn path. I don't ever make this trip but I don't think it gets jammed up. To other parts of AA county taking Ritchie Highway might be easier.

I remember you were looking at Hampden. If you are trying to access 395 or 295 to get out of the city, it may be 3-5 minutes quicker from Hampden. But that's it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM

7,504 posts, read 14,634,951 times
The title briefly caught my eye as Endor Gardens.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,487,965 times
I think the area is very stable and continues to have promise. Its proximity to downtown and to the Lake make it very attractive. Morgan State is working with the City to make improvements at the Northwoods Shopping Center.. which will be a tremdenous boost to the area.. not to mention ongoing and incremental improvements to the Waverly commercial district and "Better Waverly" to the south. You also have a very nice YMCA in the area and it is close to both Hopkins and Morgan...That being said.. it is a stone throw from some more problemed areas but crime in Bmo tends to be localized and doesnt usually cross boundaries.. particuliarly from a crime infested appathetic neighborhood to one that is more active.. which clearly EG is with neighborhood watches and the like....Good Luck

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM

457 posts, read 682,212 times
I work with someone who bought a house there about 2 years ago. She likes it, but most of the crime there is property crime and the occasional mugging and every so often there is a murder on bordering areas. The demographic is a mixture of lower-middle class and middle class African-American working families.

Curiously, the neighborhood is bordered by Coldstream-Homestead-Montabello, Pen Lucy, and Waverly, some of the worst neighborhoods in Baltimore, but has much less crime. This is probably due to the high home-ownership rate there and a very active community association. It also borders Original Northwood to the north, one of Baltimore's wealthier neigborhoods.

Would it be safe for a lone female to walk around after dark like in Towson? Probably not, but during the daytime would be ok.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Seems from what people are saying about Ednor Gardens and Waverly is that some people think it's okay, others say steer clear. I'm still torn. Ugh. I dont' want to be so close to crime. Period. Guess I'm sticking to Fed Hill/Canton/Fells/Upper Fells/Hampden/ and right around Patterson Park. Thanks to everyone who gave advice! I'd say I'm going to give Ednor G another look though.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,400,906 times
Sounds like you liked Hampden, I don't think there is any doubt that area is safe and on the rise. Probably worth getting a house there that has good bones and utilities and add your own TLC.

Last edited by KLynch10; 02-06-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore