Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,907 times

Advertisements

You can walk for a long way around Canton and Federal Hill without nearing any trouble.... which is a huge reason they've become so desirable. Federal Hill is on it's own peninsula, and Canton is huge, and the closest neighborhoods are fine, and rapidly improving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
It's really hard to compare the two cities. I grew up in Baltimore and I spent a substantial amount of time in Toronto. I think what would be consider the worse part of Toronto might be downtown Sherbourne Street near Moss Park. You have a lot of drug activity there especially in the summer time. Even there i didn't feel unsafe. America in general is just more violent on the whole. Toronto is such an immigrant city so it's hard to compare to Baltimore. Get ready for some interesting experiences and keep ur wits sharp! I think Federal Hill, Fells Point, Mt. Vernon and maybe Canton would be your best bets if u want to live and be able to go out to a nice cafe and so on. Public transportation sucks in baltimore compared to how awesome it is in Toronto

Old 02-06-2012, 06:08 PM

17 posts, read 38,950 times
Thanks for all of the helpful posts. How much can I expect to pay for a 1br apartment in these neighborhoods (canton, fells point, mt. vernon, fed hill) including parking? I'd like to spend around $1500/mo for rent+parking, but get the feeling from reading other posts to this forum that this may be on the low side for what I'm looking for.

Here's a question. What are cab fares like? Would it be a wise financial decision to forgo a car, thereby saving on the initial car cost, insurace, rent, gas, etc. and use the money on cabs instead?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM

280 posts, read 674,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post

As for comparing Baltimore and TO, they are very different. I have visited Toronto many times and walked all over the city at all hours without too much concern for safety. Baltimore isnt like that. Certain neighborhoods are fine, but you are never really that far from a bad block. Once you get your bearings you will be fine though.
Baltimore is kind of like Buffalo...only bigger.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:27 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp83 View Post
Thanks for all of the helpful posts. How much can I expect to pay for a 1br apartment in these neighborhoods (canton, fells point, mt. vernon, fed hill) including parking? I'd like to spend around $1500/mo for rent+parking, but get the feeling from reading other posts to this forum that this may be on the low side for what I'm looking for.

Here's a question. What are cab fares like? Would it be a wise financial decision to forgo a car, thereby saving on the initial car cost, insurace, rent, gas, etc. and use the money on cabs instead?
Your budget should be just fine. The Cab drivers are total scumbags in this city, they would totally try to rip off a Canadian. I would recommend bringing a car, or living near Mass transit, but a car will be nice because you can take day trips to DC, Philly, Gettysburg, the Ocean and wherever.

The only people I've seen that are content without a car are people who work and live downtown, and don't have family in the area. If you do forgo a car, I would recommend living in Mt. Vernon or Otterbein (Northern part of Fed Hill), both are close to the Light rail.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 38,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael21214 View Post
Baltimore is kind of like Buffalo...only bigger.
Ugh. Hope not. (Although I've only been through Buffalo a couple of times and haven't given it much of a chance).

Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
1500 for a 1 bed would be easy to find. The difficult part is finding one with parking unless you're in a condo. There are a number of 1brs with parking in Henderson's Wharf in Fells Point.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Lol! From my experience abroad rollerblading does seem to be a Canadian thing. I've heard that biking in Baltimore isn't too bad
It's not as good as TO - and drivers are certainly more aggressive and ignorant of the law here - but it's getting progressively better.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:

Canton would be the ideal location to forgo a car ... if there was rapid transit there (if you can wait, 10-15 years it will be there ). But certainly all of SE Baltimore and downtown is in biking distance from there and you can always hop in a cab, on a bus, or use zip car.

If you avoid the need to look for street parking in Canton you'll save yourself months worth of time. That's a big reason I never visit Canton - it can be a 25 minute + commitment to find a place to park.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM

280 posts, read 674,808 times
Baltimore drivers are largely unfriendly to bicyclists. The city has slowly been adding bike lanes to some major routes, but prepared to share them with parked cars and speeding drivers passing on the right.

Depending on where you are going, you get places by routing your trip through parks and side streets, but that will take some careful planning.

Compared to Toronto, you are likely to be appalled by Baltimore's "public transportation." Large swaths of the city are unserved by the light rail line and the subway line. Buses can be slow, crowded, and drivers rude and unhelpful.

On the bright side, the Charm City Circulator buses are free and cover a lot of ground. I think some of them have bike racks too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: