U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM

235 posts, read 279,980 times

Advertisements

I found a cool house...it has lead based paint. What is the cost of removing it? is it an ordeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
Cost?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thousands of people in MD in old houses have lead paint, lead solder in their pipes and asbestos in their siding.

If the paint is not peeling paint over it.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,399,891 times
Clean really well and paint over it. Not a huge deal... some people have suffered lead paint damage, but there have also been a lot of money grabs. It is a hazard when kids eat the chips. So I would see if they can put at least a few hundred into the closing for a professional cleaning or maybe a couple grand for a repainting as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,388,145 times
To truly remove everything you need to bulldoze the house. For most people replacement windows and doors if not done already and a couple layers of paint on everything else will reduce your risk.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 AM

19 posts, read 32,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
To truly remove everything you need to bulldoze the house. For most people replacement windows and doors if not done already and a couple layers of paint on everything else will reduce your risk.

Not sure if the first part of this comment is a joke but it is definitely false . There are numerous abatement professionals out there that are trained to test and remove lead from houses, buildings and utilities.

(To the Original Poster):
How do you know the house has lead paint in the first place? As others have noted if the house does have minimal lead paint you can buy yourself some breathing mask, a few 5-in-1 painter scrapers, a roll of 22mil poly to contain the chipped particles and paint for around $200 in total. That $200 and some of you're free time you can scrape and paint over any of the exposed lead paint and live worry free as long as your children aren't picking at the paint and eating it. To know for sure what you're dealing with you should request an X-ray screening to test for lead paint on walls, windows and doors and upon the findings factor abatement cost into the final closing cost. Another thing to consider.... Since this is a "cool", which I'm guessing its an old house, you should inquire if the house contains knobb and tube wiring, asbestos insulation or any other nasty stuff like that to be sure the questions are asked BEFORE and not AFTER the sale!

Hope this helps!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Not a joke per se but as long as ANY part of the structure was built before 1952, if you ever choose to rent the property you will need to register with the MDE and get lbp inspections. This includes full gut rehabs. If you have original brick, you'll never be truly lead free in the eyes of the state.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,178,115 times
I'm afraid I'll never understand this one.

I remember being a little kid and seeing peeling paint around my house and at my kindergarten and elementary school, but it never occurred to me to EAT it. What is it about peeling paint that makes some kids want to ingest it? I know kids will put just about anything in their mouths, but paint chips? And actually eating them? And in a great enough quantity to do physical and mental damage?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Unfortunately the actions of few affect everyone. It almost doesn't become worth it to lease property that was built before 1952 even if it has been completely gutted just due to the liability.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM

235 posts, read 279,980 times
The thought of paint chips made me hungry. They look like broken potato chips. Mmmmmm. Potato chips. And the listing says "Disclosure: Lead based paint." So if in the future I'd want to move and rent it out I'd have problems doing so? even if I got it remedied? it's just so cool.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,399,891 times
No, no. Just about every house in bmore is close to 100 years old. If you rent it you just get a lead paint certificate....not a big deal. Every house in canton and fed hill are old....some of the hottest rental markets in the country.

Lead paint is not a big deal in reality. It has become a big deal because of frivolous lawsuits that the state is tired of having tie up the court system. All of our parents and grandparents grew up around lead paint as well as many of us.

If you like the house buy it, maybe leverage a few bucks, but don't let it keep you from buying, because every house that wasn't a rental property is not lead paint free certified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore