Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Harford County and moved to Hamilton (just w/in city limits) when I was 21. In one year, my best friend was murdered, I was carjacked by a woman with a blood-filled hypodermic needle, and I had a car stolen. My friend was murdered in Parkville. I was carjacked right outside of Fuddruckers downtown - you know, nice well lit area. And my car was stolen in Little Italy. Oh, and to top things off, my apartment was broken into the night of my friend's viewing. I couldn't get back to Harford County fast enough.

More power to those that choose to live in the city.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post
It's nasty. I went to Loyola College, and lived in Charles Village for six months. After 9:00 pm, you simply did not go outside by yourself unless you had a death wish. It was like a vapor trail when I moved back to the Annapolis area. I couldn't escape fast enough. My wife, who is from Severna Park (Towson U.), will tell you the same thing. Robbed at gunpoint, held hostage, terrible.

Nope, it's not crazy, Baltimore is simply a dangerous place to live.
I guess I must have a death wish, as do many of my neighbors.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:32 PM

234 posts, read 1,062,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I always wanted to live in San Diego, which definitely is out of my price range these days. Except that each January half of the place falls into the ocean in mud slides. Either way, you get mugged, as you would say.
Wow, Barante, you really are out of touch. Justifying Baltimore's violent crime problem with a crack about mudslides, now I have heard everything.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Lighten up, Streetchie. Can't I say anything without it being interpreted out of context. Anyway, one is a natural disaster, the other one is man-made.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:21 PM

25 posts, read 165,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
I guess I must have a death wish, as do many of my neighbors.
When the dealers move up from Greenmont Avenue at night? Yes, you do.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Interesting article in yesterday's Sun. Here are some pertinent excerpts:

More than 8,200 people have been killed in Baltimore in the past three decades, most of them young black men. Police officials say that many have criminal records and are engaged in illicit activities - and that the majority of city residents are at an extremely low risk of being killed. When it comes to homicides, Baltimore is often seen as two cities, with its thriving, gentrified neighborhoods virtually untouched by serious crime.

While nonfatal shootings are also up slightly over 2006, such other violent crimes as robbery and aggravated assault are down 8 percent and 4 percent respectively, according to city statistics.

Though police officials say it is difficult to assess the motive of most killings, about 78 percent of this year's homicide victims and known suspects had a history of drug arrests.

Here is a link to the article:
Searching for answers -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-te.md.ci.homicides30dec30,0,4364774.story - broken link)

Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Mdtoaz, I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences in Baltimore. That sounds awful, and I hope you're enjoying Arizona.

Now I'm part of the "I like Baltimore" camp, but I think most people are concerned about the muggings, break-ins, car thefts, etc. I personally have never been a victim of a crime, and I have lived in the city for six years (not including four years at Loyola College). But I am always conscious of the possibility of something happening to me, so I am as careful as I can be.

I'm wondering what it is like in other cities since I have never lived outside of Maryland: in Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, etc. Is it really different from Baltimore? When parking one's car in one of these cities, does one make sure there is nothing of value visible? Does one try to avoid walking alone, especially at night? Are the chances of getting mugged any greater or less?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,223 times
Good points helenjen. Another way to look at it is 22 % of murders were random victims. That's 62 people killed that had nothing to do with drugs. Just like you and me. Wonder if their families would agree things are looking up?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Ok, so let me get this straight. We go from there are 282 murders in Baltimore in 2007 and that could be anyone so nobody move here and people who already live here do whatever you can to get out to there were 62 murders of people with no ties to drug activity and the best you can do is an emotional appeal about the 62 victims' families?

I feel badly for the families of all 282 murder victims, but those kind of emotional appeals are often a last resort to people with holes in their overall arguments, which, if I read you correctly, is Baltimore is a cesspool of crime and we could all be killed at any moment.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:14 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Mdtoaz, I'm really sorry to hear about your experiences in Baltimore. That sounds awful, and I hope you're enjoying Arizona.

Now I'm part of the "I like Baltimore" camp, but I think most people are concerned about the muggings, break-ins, car thefts, etc. I personally have never been a victim of a crime, and I have lived in the city for six years (not including four years at Loyola College). But I am always conscious of the possibility of something happening to me, so I am as careful as I can be.

I'm wondering what it is like in other cities since I have never lived outside of Maryland: in Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, etc. Is it really different from Baltimore? When parking one's car in one of these cities, does one make sure there is nothing of value visible? Does one try to avoid walking alone, especially at night? Are the chances of getting mugged any greater or less?
I'm definitely loving Tucson. It's a whole different atmosphere here. I really liked Maryland, but having lived there all my life, I wanted a change of scenery.

My sister-in-law has lived just outside of Canton for many years, and has not been victim to crime other than somebody smashing a flower pot outside of her house. I don't know if it's luck, or what, but I know several people who've lived downtown for a long time w/no problems. Me?? Apparently the city and I don't get along well.

One major difference b/t Tucson and Baltimore is the geographic size. Population-wise, they're pretty similar. Tucson has more of a "town" feel, while Baltimore definitely feels like a city. I think Tucson also has a higher crime index, however I feel much safer here than in Baltimore City. I think the big difference here is the bad areas are isolated and easily identified. You don't go from one block to another with the drastic changes as in Baltimore. Baltimore is geographically a small city with so much crammed in, it's just a recipe for crime. Just my $0.02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore