U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
 
19 posts, read 19,978 times
Reputation: 15
Default Locust Point or Mount Vernon

I am considering moving to Locust Point or Mount Vernon?
I looked into Silo Point and came away with great impressions. Very modern, nice ammenities, restaurants on site. But the building itself seemed somewhat isolated from the city as the rest of Locust Point. Locust Point appears to be somewhat safer. Mount Vernon appears to have more culture, restaurants and a night life better access to public transportation. Unfortunately I have heard awful rumors regarding mice problems in some mount vernon homes because of numerous restaurants and older buildings. I would like opinions from native Baltimoreans. I have not been able to find anything in Mount Vernon that matches the quality and moderness of silo point in locust point. On the other hand I do like the culture, and access of public transportation, walkability of Mount Vernon. What I want is a 1 bedroom with granite countertops, hardwood floors, ammenites in the building between 1200-1900 bucks a month. Any suggestions? Also please advice of public transportation in Locust Point

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: delaware
497 posts, read 329,783 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by j236 View Post
I am considering moving to Locust Point or Mount Vernon?
I looked into Silo Point and came away with great impressions. Very modern, nice ammenities, restaurants on site. But the building itself seemed somewhat isolated from the city as the rest of Locust Point. Locust Point appears to be somewhat safer. Mount Vernon appears to have more culture, restaurants and a night life better access to public transportation. Unfortunately I have heard awful rumors regarding mice problems in some mount vernon homes because of numerous restaurants and older buildings. I would like opinions from native Baltimoreans. I have not been able to find anything in Mount Vernon that matches the quality and moderness of silo point in locust point. On the other hand I do like the culture, and access of public transportation, walkability of Mount Vernon. What I want is a 1 bedroom with granite countertops, hardwood floors, ammenites in the building between 1200-1900 bucks a month. Any suggestions? Also please advice of public transportation in Locust Point

Thanks


i lived in baltimore all of my life until the last ten years, so my comments may not be entirely up to date. i have lived in the otterbein area of the inner harbor, and have some idea- perhaps a little dated- about that general location.

having said that, i think your general impressions about both areas are accurate. i have a friend who just moved into silo point from charles village and so far, she is really enjoying the lifestyle there. that area is the"new baltimore" with all the bells and whistles. new stores, restaurants, shops are opening all the time as locust point re-invents itself.

i've always loved mt vernon area, for its old world charm, gorgeous architecture, and european feel. i feel it is probably attracts a more diverse population that locust point, although that may not be accurate. i think it would be difficult to find the upscale accomodations that silo point offers, but there are probably some exceptions. parking in mt vernon could be a hassle and my feeling is locust point , at least currently,is somewhat safer than mt vernon. when i lived in otterbein, i enjoyed the shopping, restaurant accessibility, and the street life, to some extent, but i always had the feeling i was living in baltimore's version of disney world- the whole inner harbor felt that way. i realize locust point is farther removed from that area, but i wonder if it is too far removed.

i go back often to visit and i have friends who live in the city, but my opinions are impressions of years of living there, and what i observe/hear about the city now. it is a subjective choice. my heart would be in mt vernon, but my head might choose silo point.
good luck!

catsy girl
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 AM
 
75 posts, read 128,265 times
Reputation: 48
the two are like night and day, just as are $1200 places vs. $1900 ones. good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 1,289,967 times
Reputation: 494
There aren't many safer urban neighborhoods in America than Locust Point. So Mt. Vernon may be safe, but nothing compares to Locust Point. Locust Point is at the tip of a peninsula, so it is surrounded by water at on 3 sides. Locust Point probably has 15-20 bars. It is super close to Federal Hill that has tons of restaurants and bars.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 AM
 
342 posts, read 475,777 times
Reputation: 192
There ain't much public transport in Locust Point other than the bus on Fort Avenue.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2012, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,179 posts, read 8,944,492 times
Reputation: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
There ain't much public transport in Locust Point other than the bus on Fort Avenue.
Soon, the new circulator route is supposed to go all the way to Fort McHenry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,804 times
Reputation: 10
Hi there, I've lived in Mt Vernon without incident and it is a safe neighborhood. There are several upscale modern options for you in Mt. Vernon. Have you checked out the Fitzgerald Apartment Building, The Abell Building or Ten14. The latter are condos, but I think you can rent them too.

I agree Mt. Vernon is much more conveniently located. You're walking distance to supermarkets, museums, restaurants, street festivals (ArtScape, the annual Book Festival, the annual Flower Market, etc), opera house, symphony hall, the main branch of the library (with workshops, author talks, etc), the Bolt Bus to NYC, MARC train to DC, light rail to BWI, and much more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
 
6,072 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Reputation: 2821
Locust Point is far safer than Mount Vernon if that matters to you. I live in south federal hill right by Locust Point and love it. If I really need culture beyond the dive bars on Fort Avenue (which I don't) then I can take a cab to Charles Village/Mount Vernon.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Status: "Summertime Sadness" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Baltimore, MD / NY
486 posts, read 298,112 times
Reputation: 255
I visited Silo Point for the second time this weekend, checked out the wine bar for an hour or two Friday night. It took us literally 30 minutes to get a cab back into the main part of the city. That was even with the concierge making a phone call for us.

Have a colleague who also lives in the building--units are gorgeous, (only other condo building in Baltimore I know of that even remotely compares is the Vue in Harbor East), but, to me, Silo Point is a bit too far out for my taste--plus, the surrounding locale (just a mass of stock, Canton/Fed Hill-like row homes) imho, makes it difficult for me to justify spending that much money on a rental. You also have to really travel outside of the neighborhood (and up dreaded Light Street), to get to major supermarkets, stores, restaurants, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 AM
 
6,072 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Reputation: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
I visited Silo Point for the second time this weekend, checked out the wine bar for an hour or two Friday night. It took us literally 30 minutes to get a cab back into the main part of the city. That was even with the concierge making a phone call for us.

Have a colleague who also lives in the building--units are gorgeous, (only other condo building in Baltimore I know of that even remotely compares is the Vue in Harbor East), but, to me, Silo Point is a bit too far out for my taste--plus, the surrounding locale (just a mass of stock, Canton/Fed Hill-like row homes) imho, makes it difficult for me to justify spending that much money on a rental. You also have to really travel outside of the neighborhood (and up dreaded Light Street), to get to major supermarkets, stores, restaurants, etc.
If it takes you 30 minutes to find a cab anywhere in downtown Baltimore, you don't know how to do it. The only explanation for that kind of wait would be a major holiday like New Year's Eve or Halloween.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top