Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 38,068 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 yr old female. I am moving to Baltimore from New Jersey. I know some people in Maryland but more in the suburbs. I myself want to live in a city, but everyone I speak to seem to tell me that Baltimore isn't a place for a young single woman.I'd like to live in the "heart" of it all and be able to get around. I frequent NYC so I know a thing or two about cities, Im not some counrty bumpkin ( no offence ment) just saying I can handle myself, but I keep hearing "bad' things about baltimore, like its not the same as it used to be, but Im thinking frankly its NOT the same world it used to be, no where is the same...... I do not drive and am having problems obtaining a license, so IM also wondering what public trans is like and how accessable it it.Everyone keeps telling me that I should be looking in the Fed Hill and Canton area. I have been investigating on the net and seem to think that Charles Village seems nice but Im only going by pictures...

Any suggestions or areas I should be looking at.

Last edited by Wren28; 09-08-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: mis spelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,940 times
Wren28 -- Welcome! Please search this site for Charles Village and Mount Vernon. Both would be ideal for you. Good (for Baltimore) transit connections, lots of young people.
Federal Hill, Canton are overrated, expensive, and would present insurmountable transportation problems.
Good luck.

Last edited by barante; 09-09-2007 at 05:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 PM

4 posts, read 38,068 times
thank you so much. I feel much better now about my choice.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:19 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren28 View Post
I am a 28 yr old female. I am moving to Baltimore from New Jersey. I know some people in Maryland but more in the suburbs. I myself want to live in a city, but everyone I speak to seem to tell me that Baltimore isn't a place for a young single woman.I'd like to live in the "heart" of it all and be able to get around. I frequent NYC so I know a thing or two about cities, Im not some counrty bumpkin ( no offence ment) just saying I can handle myself, but I keep hearing "bad' things about baltimore, like its not the same as it used to be, but Im thinking frankly its NOT the same world it used to be, no where is the same...... I do not drive and am having problems obtaining a license, so IM also wondering what public trans is like and how accessable it it.Everyone keeps telling me that I should be looking in the Fed Hill and Canton area. I have been investigating on the net and seem to think that Charles Village seems nice but Im only going by pictures...

Oh jeez, another person from Jersey moving to Maryland.

Well I'm going to use an analogy you're probably familar with. Baltimore is what NYC was like before Giuliani cleaned it up.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:

My suggestion would be to live in a neighborhood that close friends suggest.
But whatever you do, DON'T BUY, RENT, until you get to know the city.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 45,001 times
If you can handle high crime, high taxes, high pollution, high insurance premiums, high real estate prices and high energy bills, Baltimore City will work.
I lived there for 20 years.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM

689 posts, read 3,216,159 times
I think Oakbrook's suggestion to rent before you buy is a good one. I've rented for the past seven years and have no regrets. The perfect house hasn't come along yet, and with the market in the crapper, maybe it will not only come along -- but come along with a better price! :-)

Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM

689 posts, read 3,216,159 times
OMG I'm so sorry -- I meant Oakback, not Oakbrook. I can be such a ditz sometimes.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 AM

36 posts, read 201,779 times
in a word, YES

Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM

345 posts, read 976,816 times
Quote:

Baltimore is not bad at all. Much of the city is a lot different than what you see on "The Wire." (Which is still an excellent, excellent show by the way) My little sister is 22 and lives in the heart of Canton. She absolutely loves the neighborhood and says everything she needs is close by, within walking distance.

She does have a car, but only uses it to go visit my parents in Calvert County. She says she could otherwise just as easily live without a car there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore