Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times

Advertisements

To think I hadn't even chimed in yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
I don't hate it here as much as you do. Our experiences have been different, apparently. I don't understand why my opinions are such a problem for you to the point of making accusations that I'm being paid by someone else to make them. Really, how pathetic.

Your input about street crime is absolutely a good contribution to this thread and relevant to any discussion about where to live in the city, but you can make it without being a child. Of course, being helpful is not really why you're here, so I suppose we can expect more of the same nonsense.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,676 times
Just wanted to say that I do appreciate all the answers here. Getting to know an area via Internet is hardly a perfect scenario and you all have given me more things to keep in mind while browsing. If anyone else has an opinion (no matter what it may be), please feel free to chime in. All of this is going to come in useful when I actually have feet on the ground.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,723 times
I clicked on the link.

Very few of the addresses are in Roland Park or Guilford or Tuscany Canterbury. Most of the listed addresses are west of Falls Road or east of York Road, the accepted perimeters of North Baltimore, or down in the less salubrious parts of Hampden between Falls Road and JFX. Even on the Guilford "crime map" all but two of the crime incidents occurred on streets outside the neighborhood.

According to the crime maps, both the Federal Hill and Fells Point show quite a bit higher levels of criminal activity than the North Baltimore neighborhoods.

As a resident of Roland Park for the past thirty years our crime problems are what you generally find in affluent neighborhoods. The odd house burglary. A kid's bicycle stolen. Every now and then someone robs one of the shops on Cold Spring Lane or the convenience stores/fast food joints across from Poly and Western. I have co-workers who live in expensive Howard County subdivisions and they still suffered the same levels of crime as Roland Park, giving truth to how perceived affluence attracts unwanted attention.

As to the original poster: visit Baltimore. Visit Union Memorial. Walk around the area. Check out St. Paul's Street retail corridor and the apartments along St. Paul, Charles and University Parkway. You will immediately know if it's the right area for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextstate View Post
Make sure you read all of jonj and handsupthumbsdown's posts. Couple of Realtors who desperately troll these boards trying to refute anything negative. Roland Park, Guilford, Homeland, etc are very pretty neighborhoods that are plagued by property crimes, ridiculously high property taxes and close proximity to bad areas. Again, don't listen to me, the stats are all available online. Roland Park, baltimore, MD Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports
Maybe that looks okay to you, and if so, great. Just don't listen to the clowns who insist on personally attacking anyone who brings up the inconvenient negatives about the city. Like today's piece in the Baltimore Sun about there having been 429 street crimes - muggings, etc - in the city so far this year. Several of the "safe" neighborhoods they list are specifically mentioned.

Last edited by Tallybalt; 03-27-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM

28 posts, read 62,854 times
Tallybalt - yes, that was exactly my point. You'll find some really pretty neighborhoods here with pretty typical crime rates for any city. But unlike any other city I've lived in those neighborhoods are in very close proximity --a matter of blocks -- to some pretty bad parts. Just something to be aware of. I run and bike regularly and I find it restrictive. I end up driving out to one the parks or trails if I want to go any distance. Personally, I hate that, but I've got friends here who don't think twice about it. I think a lot of other people relocating here might find it similarly disorienting to be at Hopkins, for example, and then head five blocks east and find themselves on green mount ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: