U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,128,832 times
Hey, all--

Thought I'd update you since I've been back in Pittsburgh. I took a lot of your suggestions-- made it to Brewer's Art just briefly enough on Friday night to decide it was too crowded and left. Also, never made it to Liquid Earth (for whatever reason...don't really know why), and didn't want to pay for the Aquarium or Constellation. But, I think we did everything else you recommended and had a great time. Overall impressions:

Walters-- Great museum, price can't be beat. I really liked the ancient stuff, and medieval Christian and Eastern Orthodox stuff.

Visionary Art Museum-- $16 seemed a little steep, but it was well worth it. We spent at least two hours at this place, and it was amazing. So many artists that I probably never would have seen if I hadn't gone there. Overall, very thought provoking collection, and a lot of stuff that's just fun and cool to look at, too.

Fort McHenry-- Loved the park. Found the Visitor's Center informative. I'm nutty about history, so I could probably walk around that fort reading descriptions in all the rooms all day. I also liked the view of the skyline from that park.

Max's-- Don't know about the price because I didn't pay, but they did have a huge selection, so we tried some local stuff we weren't familiar with and enjoyed it.

We used the circulator quite extensively. It was quick and easy, although the clientele could be a little....um...interesting at times

Other things we did that are noteworthy: walked up and down the harbor a bit, had supper in Little Italy, went to Lexington Market (twice!) for crabcakes and berger cookies, went up to Hampton (sp?) for shopping and went to a nice Mexican place there, took a daytrip to DC where we saw the Hirshhorn, Botanical Gardens, and Holocaust Museum (+some bar hopping on Utah), and, of course, saw a ballgame at your lovely ballpark (which didn't end well for my Twins )

Overall, a really cool city...I'd love to go back sometime. I know people are tough on Baltimore because it has its problems-- I saw some of it in my week there-- but really, there are a lot of great areas, too, and my impression was that as long as I avoided some areas that I had no business in, it was pretty safe for a clueless tourist like myself. Just like any big city. And the history there is INCREDIBLE. You guys are lucky to have 200+ year old churches/museums/monuments, etc. everywhere you look-- it felt very old-World, dense, and European to me....definitely charming and won me over!

Anyway, if you've made it through this, thanks for the advice. If I go back, I'll resurrect the thread and you can tell me what to do on round 2!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,128,832 times
Oh, and I forgot-- went to Joe Squared, too, for some really good seafood pizza and live music Friday night

And--- Blue Moon cafe (right across from Liquid Earth...makes it even weirder we didn't make it there...) for some good breakfast (crab meat with hollandaise sauce over eggs and hash browns).

Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 5,690,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Oh, and I forgot-- went to Joe Squared, too, for some really good seafood pizza and live music Friday night

And--- Blue Moon cafe (right across from Liquid Earth...makes it even weirder we didn't make it there...) for some good breakfast (crab meat with hollandaise sauce over eggs and hash browns).
Wow , A+ on your trip. You sure experienced lots of baltimore and not just the harbor. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM

473 posts, read 327,983 times
Some of my favorites to take out of town guests: The Great Blacks in Wax Museum on North Ave.-only black wax museum on the planet-fascinating, you'll never see anything else like it. The B&O Railroad Museum in Mt. Clare-if you're into trains/transportation history, or have kids, you'll all be in hog heaven. The Museum of Science and Industry on Key Hwy. (across the street from the truly gonzo Visionary Arts) describes Baltimore's heritage as a center of manufacturing, and significant innovations/contributions/inventions to technology that were developed or implemented here first-and there are a lot of them. If you're here during their ever shortening meets, make it out to Pimlico, and relive the fading glory of what was once one of the country's most fabled racetracks: great for people-watching, you'll still get the flavor of every type of Baltimorean there. The Cylburn Arboretum and Mansion grounds are right down the street from Pimlico and are definitely worth a visit, as well. And I'd be remiss in my duty as a booster if I didn't mention hard crabs-ask a native where they still sell heavy #1 jimmies from the Bay-accept no substitute!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 5,690,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Some of my favorites to take out of town guests: The Great Blacks in Wax Museum on North Ave.-only black wax museum on the planet-fascinating, you'll never see anything else like it. The B&O Railroad Museum in Mt. Clare-if you're into trains/transportation history, or have kids, you'll all be in hog heaven. The Museum of Science and Industry on Key Hwy. (across the street from the truly gonzo Visionary Arts) describes Baltimore's heritage as a center of manufacturing, and significant innovations/contributions/inventions to technology that were developed or implemented here first-and there are a lot of them. If you're here during their ever shortening meets, make it out to Pimlico, and relive the fading glory of what was once one of the country's most fabled racetracks: great for people-watching, you'll still get the flavor of every type of Baltimorean there. The Cylburn Arboretum and Mansion grounds are right down the street from Pimlico and are definitely worth a visit, as well. And I'd be remiss in my duty as a booster if I didn't mention hard crabs-ask a native where they still sell heavy #1 jimmies from the Bay-accept no substitute!
Great suggestions. Baltimore streetcar museum is another good one, where you can ride on several 70-100 year old restored streetcars.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 18,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I believe they call that dish the "Sweet Baby Jesus". Seriously.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 8,921,886 times
You can't go to Baltimore and not take in a game at Camden Yards! Well, unless you don't care for baseball I guess .

Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM

775 posts, read 906,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You can't go to Baltimore and not take in a game at Camden Yards! Well, unless you don't care for baseball I guess .
Just be careful walking back to your downtown hotel after the game or this might happen.

Crowd Beats, Strips & Robs Tourist On St. Patrick’s Day; Incident Caught On Camera CBS Baltimore

Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 PM

7,488 posts, read 8,921,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Just be careful walking back to your downtown hotel after the game or this might happen.

Crowd Beats, Strips & Robs Tourist On St. Patrick’s Day; Incident Caught On Camera CBS Baltimore
Yea, that is pretty messed up. That's the dark side of Bmore. I remember before we moved here, I brought my wife into Baltimore and we stayed downtown. Ended up being a terrible first impression for her. That's all I will say...

Regardless, I wouldn't think twice about going to a game or staying downtown. I would be careful in downtown after the touristy crowd dies off or if you get away from the busier areas. It's still a great city though. Someday it will flip and gentrify a bit more to at least get the random crime under control.

But still, this kind of thing would just not happen is nearly any other city. Come on Baltimore, get control of your thugs.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 AM
rfp

337 posts, read 251,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post

I'm waiting for Obama to say if he had sons they would look like them.

The most recent thuggery by your Baltimore natives:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,5064605.story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore