U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM

35 posts, read 100,644 times
Thanks for the responses. I'd like to keep my costs to less than $2000/month total (including utilities), and although I prefer a 1br, I'd be ok with a studio. Covered/secure parking is also important to me (I would LOVE to have a private 1 car garage, but realize this is probably out of the realm of possibilities).

I won't have time to look for apartments in person until mid-May, but have been looking online for a while. Although many of the available high-rises look nice (esp the way it's presented on their website), reviews from various independent websites were uniformly poor.

Do any of you know anything about the "929" apartments? Any experience with the management company?

I would love to hear about personal or 2nd hand experience with any of the complexes in the neighborhoods I listed earlier. Complexes to consider, and ones to stay away from.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 PM

473 posts, read 327,983 times
One thing you should realize is that in Baltimore, nearly every "safe" intown neighborhood abuts sketchy, crime and drug ridden areas. Much more important than what zip code, neighborhood or street you live in, is what particular hundred block of that street you live in. Yeah, things change block by block.
FWIW: Towson, Owings Mills, Pikesville are all in Baltimore County, and are more than a 20 minute commute from JHH. Mt. Washington is in the city, kinda sits off by itself, is reasonably safe, but has become an increasingly more affluent and expensive place to live- and again will likely be more than a 20 minute commute. Butcher's Hill and Upper Fells Point are essentially the same place, depending on which community association says what at any given time-both border the JHH campus. Patterson Park and Canton are east and southeast of them respectively-Canton is the trendier, wealthier and comparatively safer of the two. Fells Point proper has become an odd admixture of touristy joints, wealthy townies and illegal aliens-expect a lot of rowdies, especially on weekends. Roland Park is a wealthy, expensive and generally safe intown neighborhood. Federal Hill is similar to Canton but with more bars, etc.-it's been being "gentrified" by yuppies for the past two decades. Hampden is similar again in that it's mostly white, but with a considerably lower income level and more crime. Mt. Vernon and Charles Village share Charles and St. Paul Streets as their main drags, and have traditionally been home to students, young people and some old money-and again both are bordered on their east and west sides by some very dubious areas. Harbor East is a new development of townhouses and highrises, and feels kinda artificial, as to safety-with what's been happening in the Inner Harbor lately it's anybody's guess.
Just one guy's opinion. I love Baltimore, but you're going to have to keep both eyes open, all the time.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM

775 posts, read 906,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
One thing you should realize is that in Baltimore, nearly every "safe" intown neighborhood abuts sketchy, crime and drug ridden areas. Much more important than what zip code, neighborhood or street you live in, is what particular hundred block of that street you live in. Yeah, things change block by block.
FWIW: Towson, Owings Mills, Pikesville are all in Baltimore County, and are more than a 20 minute commute from JHH. Mt. Washington is in the city, kinda sits off by itself, is reasonably safe, but has become an increasingly more affluent and expensive place to live- and again will likely be more than a 20 minute commute. Butcher's Hill and Upper Fells Point are essentially the same place, depending on which community association says what at any given time-both border the JHH campus. Patterson Park and Canton are east and southeast of them respectively-Canton is the trendier, wealthier and comparatively safer of the two. Fells Point proper has become an odd admixture of touristy joints, wealthy townies and illegal aliens-expect a lot of rowdies, especially on weekends. Roland Park is a wealthy, expensive and generally safe intown neighborhood. Federal Hill is similar to Canton but with more bars, etc.-it's been being "gentrified" by yuppies for the past two decades. Hampden is similar again in that it's mostly white, but with a considerably lower income level and more crime. Mt. Vernon and Charles Village share Charles and St. Paul Streets as their main drags, and have traditionally been home to students, young people and some old money-and again both are bordered on their east and west sides by some very dubious areas. Harbor East is a new development of townhouses and highrises, and feels kinda artificial, as to safety-with what's been happening in the Inner Harbor lately it's anybody's guess.
Just one guy's opinion. I love Baltimore, but you're going to have to keep both eyes open, all the time.
And keep your head down!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 5,690,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
I've been living in these dubious areas for a while, and I also lived in Charles Village, and it seems like there's a lot less going on over here. I guess the criminals know where the money is and where it is not

I think Harbor East might be good for you since your budget is high and safety is really the only thing you're worried about. There's tons of public and private security there. You can also take the Circulator Green line bus to the hospital for free.

You've gotten the "be scared" perspective from a lot of posters, but lots and lots of wealthy people from your background come here all the time for jobs much like your own. It might be unpleasant at first to mingle with commoners but perhaps you will enjoy it here.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM

9 posts, read 10,401 times
Mt. Vernon is good for the price and a few blocks from Penn Station where you can grab the JHU bus/shuttle. Try 1201 or 1209 N. Charles.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,288,615 times
As I already mentioned, South Baltimore is by no means block to block, I walk around all hours of the night with my dog for the last 10 years. Never once felt even close to uncomfortable.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:36 PM

23 posts, read 34,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
Do any of you know anything about the "929" apartments? Any experience with the management company?
Can't speak to the management company, but the building itself is RIGHT NEXT TO Hopkins and within their "security envelope". The surrounding neighborhood(s) aren't great, but you wouldn't really be going there anyway...walk to Hopkins, and take the subway/Hopkins shuttle/Circulator/personal vehicle to get to food, nightlife etc.

If the 929 apartments are as slick as their website makes them out to be, I suspect that they'll prove to be popular. They look a little small, mind.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM

486 posts, read 297,745 times
929 is a nice building and from what I understand is opening shortly, but, if you are new in town, and security is a concern, this is not the place to be, well, at least for now. Maybe a few years down the road...

I live in Mt. Vernon and work at both Hopkins campuses, have found this neighborhood to be the easiest to commute from, shop, go out, and have had no problems with safety. If you are bringing a car, just try to manage to get a parking space wherever you end up renting. (This goes for Mt. Vernon, Federal Hill, Canton). If you have any specific questions about Mt. Vernon, feel free to PM me. And, if your budget is around the 2K max figure, I'd recommend as other have mentioned: Mt. Vernon (1201, 1209, ten14, or Fitzgerald), Harbor East, Locust Point (McHenry Row), Canton (Tindeco Wharf), or if you can find a neat row home in Federal Hill with parking, that could work too. Good luck on your search.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM

473 posts, read 327,983 times
Just checked out the "929" Apartments website for models/floor plans/pricing. The units look attractive, and nicely furnished, but they seem quite small. They also appear very expensive for something that size and in that area. I rented several times in different parts of the city before buying, and always found nicer lodging, more character and better prices by renting a floor in a privately owned rowhouse than I ever did from from managed high-rise apartment buildings. In many (if not most) parts of the city you can certainly find something larger and more reasonably priced than the minimum $1100-1300+utilities+parking offered by the "929" for what look like tiny studios and 1 bdrms. Just a suggestion, based on my experience.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM

35 posts, read 100,644 times
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll definitely give these places a look when I visit next month.

BTW, saw on yahoo news today that Kiplinger ranked Baltimore #4 for "best cities for singles". I may be preferentially looking for good press on Baltimore to alleviate some of my fears. But still, not bad! Way to go, Baltimore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore