Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM

866 posts, read 2,617,105 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had success in appealing the assessed value of their home this year? I sent in an appeal on February 1, but have not heard anything yet. Does the assessment office drag their feet until after July 1, when the tax bills are due?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 AM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,799 times
Well any tax change wouldn't take effect until July 1 anyway.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM

866 posts, read 2,617,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Well any tax change wouldn't take effect until July 1 anyway.
Exactly. I am hoping to have a lower tax bill when it comes time to pay July 1.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM

989 posts, read 2,843,328 times
I also appealed in February and haven't heard anything. I check online every so often to see if there have been any change in the assessed amount but nothing thus far... I don't have a whole lot of faith in the process (literally I'm about 30% over-assessed). If I could sell my property for anything close to the assessed value I would jump on it.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:13 PM

759 posts, read 1,347,897 times
Don't know if this will help, but it worked for us for several years running. First, be all kind of persistent with the city: keep calling, emailing, and certified letter-writing to the assessor's office requesting an onsite inspection, not just of your property, but of others in your neighborhood. Find listings of recent sale prices, price reductions and properties in your area that have been on the market for long periods without moving. Point out any foreclosed, vacant, abandoned, and/or dilapidated properties that are nearby to the inspector. We received notices of tax increases for three years in a row. After getting the assessor's office guy out and pointing to some properties on our street that were empty, had for sale signs, section 8, or falling down we not only didn't get re-assessed higher, but actually got a reduction one year. HTH.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM

50 posts, read 170,550 times
I did this last year, and it was awesome, saved me tons. About two months after submitting the appeal, I started calling the office weekly to get updates. After my third time calling, I received notice through the mail that I had a hearing for my appeal. Call it persistency or annoying.. it worked

Before I went, I had my realtor give me Comps (on the lower end) - I also went in with a story, make sure you talk about houses surrounding yours, not the aesthetics of your house, but any local foreclosures? any shady people? vacant buildings? Talk about things that you cannot control..

They reassessed my house without coming to see the property... I think they are so bogged down with reassessments due to the housing crisis, that they are doing it sight-unseen.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need me to elaborate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: