Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,010,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
However, the segregation of Baltimore and its suburbs is remarkable. It's got to be one of the most segregated places outside of the deep south. So even if people of different races are cordial to one another, it's clear they don't want to be neighbors, on the whole.
Another city that reminds me of that is Detroit. Detroit is one of the blackest cities in America, and it's suburbs are some of the whitest in America. It's changing now, but slowly.

Whereas, when I lived in NYC, all kinds of people lived side-by-side with each other. Not always harmoniously, but they were more forced to deal with each other the time, which seems to mellow everyone out.

It seems to me, that places where people are more uniformly the same race in huge pockets, they tend to create a stronger negative 'other' image.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,351,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Another city that reminds me of that is Detroit. Detroit is one of the blackest cities in America, and it's suburbs are some of the whitest in America. It's changing now, but slowly.

Whereas, when I lived in NYC, all kinds of people lived side-by-side with each other. Not always harmoniously, but they were more forced to deal with each other the time, which seems to mellow everyone out.

It seems to me, that places where people are more uniformly the same race in huge pockets, they tend to create a stronger negative 'other' image.
NYC has one of the most segregated public school systems of any big city in America. Please stop making NYC out to be some vanguard of a racial utopia.

Segregation in New York City?s Public Schools - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM

37,752 posts, read 40,828,546 times
My experience is people want to live with people of around the same income level. You know, if you are pink, orange or polka dot, and you don't make a lot of noise, as long as you can afford what I can afford, fine by me. If you rent, there is an expectation that if you can afford a rent payment of whatever I pay per month, then you are just like me no matter what you look like. Same goes for a house and your neighbors.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,010,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
NYC has one of the most segregated public school systems of any big city in America. Please stop making NYC out to be some vanguard of a racial utopia.

Segregation in New York City?s Public Schools - Graphic - NYTimes.com
Where does Baltimore fit into that?

That graph is interesting. But, most of the cities they are comparing NYC with are out in California or out west somewhere (San Antonio, Phoenix). It would be more interesting if it were compared to more 'east of the mississippi' cities, which also have large black populations.

Meaning, cities like New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Washington DC, Atlanta, etc. would be better to compare with.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-31-2012 at 01:14 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,422,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I wasn't trying to say that blacks are more criminal. I was refuting the statement that whatever the ratio of race is in a community, the jails will represent the same ratio. And I believe someone even said that whites comprise something like 70 or 80 percent of the US prison population and that is simply not true.
I see. But the statement you were refuting in bold above, I didn't see that argument. I thought I read that whatever the ratio, the crime rate will have some reflection of that ratio, not the incarceration rate. Maybe I am missing something and will go back to read the original statement.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM

2,308 posts, read 6,073,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I see. But the statement you were refuting in bold above, I didn't see that argument. I thought I read that whatever the ratio, the crime rate will have some reflection of that ratio, not the incarceration rate. Maybe I am missing something and will go back to read the original statement.
Here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, Baltimore is between 60-70% black, depending on which statistics you look at. The majority population usually contributes the highest percentage towards crime statistics. Look at the cities that are predominately white and you will see that whites do most of the crime. Look at cities that are predominantly Hispanic, and you will see that they contribute the most to crime statistics.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,435,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
More blacks are criminals.... I'm gonna say it.
In proportion to their numbers, yes.

However, it's a cultural issue stemming from being an economically and socially disadvantaged demographic.

It's not because of anything genetic.

You can see the same issues in Hawaii with the native Polynesians.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM

226 posts, read 411,737 times
I think its several things. There are so many thug types walking around that I can see wehre a stigma comes from, but at the same time, when someone walks into a bar, color is not what should give off that vibe. Its a matter of how someone carries themself.

I don't think the racism in MD is a north south thing so much as a city rural thing. A lot of the more rural, up in the montain areas seem to have more pockets of old school blatant racism.

At the same time, in the more urban areas, I've found a startling amount of undercover racism, even from people who honestly don't believe they are racist. EX: I've definitely met a few people who would honestly preach tolerance, believe in tolerance, and teach their kids that everybody is equal. If someone else was to say racist things in front of them they would be immediately say something about how uncool it was. and yet...

let their sister or daughter decide to date interracially and watch the discomfort level skyrocket.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 PM

226 posts, read 411,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
BALTIMORE always seems to have a theme of 'racial tensions' from the forum. Is it really worse than other cities?

I don't notice the theme being discussed much on DC...and I don't think so much in NY/NJ either...although it probably exist to some degree to some extent?

Or is Baltimore just a place that just has more of it, than other places, for some unknown reasons?
I think DC is a harder one to judge, because unlike Baltimore, so few people are from DC. What I mean is, the vast majority of working professionals in DC seem to be commuters from the surrounding suburbs. So many of the younger crowd in DC is comprised of college students from all over the country.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,422,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Here it is.
Thanks for flagging that for me. Yes, that statement is as I remember it. "Do the crime" is different from "incarceration rate," in my opinion, which is why I responded the way I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore