Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
I don't see why he felt the need to identify the race of those making up the supposed mobs. If those kids were white why would he have identified them as white? I don't think so. Furthermore, I don't even understand why he chose to address the issue. He doesn't even represent the city.
That's the kicker to this whole situation. WHY does it take a delegate from the county to raise the issue? Where are the city leaders? Mayor Blake has done little, if anything about it and won't until the problem gets beyond her control. If she gives the BPD a green light to enforce the law by any means necessary, she will get flack no matter what.

Plus, the so-called civil rights leaders in Baltimore have not addressed the issue. Last time I checked, walking around town without the fear of getting you face kicked in IS a civil right no mater what color you are.

I also have to ask you is it white kids that have and continue to go around and beat the crap out of people? We know the answer to that.

What this man said isn't racist, but the truth.

Last edited by Gil3; 05-21-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
That's the kicker to this whole situation. WHY does it take a delegate from the county to raise the issue? Where are the city leaders? Mayor Blake has done little, if anything about it and won't until the problem gets beyond her control. If she gives the BPD a green light to enforce the law by any means necessary, she will get flack no matter what.

Plus, the so-called civil rights leaders in Baltimore have not addressed the issue. Last time I checked, walking around town without the fear of getting you face kicked in IS a civil right no mater what color you are.

I also have to ask you is it white kids that have and continue to go around and beat the crap out of people? We know the answer to that.

What this man said isn't racist, but the truth.
The city is 65% Black, if she said the same thing as McDonough she wouldn't be mayor much longer. She's already unpopular among many Black Baltimoreans. I guess she can go the Mayor Nutter route who condemn the behavior of African-American males but she'd have to do it delicately.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM

158 posts, read 395,490 times
As a city resident who doesn't live far from the harbor, and likes to walk her dog there in the evenings, I am so disappointed in our elected officials' responses to the downtown mobs. At worst, these kids are fighting and hurting each other and/or assaulting random people that happen to in their vicinity... At best they are littering and making downtown/the inner harbor a mess, and are scaring away tourism and business that the harbor needs. As much as I think he's a blowhard, I wish we had a mayor like Rudy Guliani or even Mike Bloomberg - - either of those mayors would unapologetically take care of this situation. Unfortunately SRB (who I did NOT vote for!) will do nothing and instead will continue to tout the general decrease in crime city-wide. And the overall decrease is great. But there needs to be a serious and CONSISTENT police presence downtown every evening as soon as spring breaks and the weather gets remotely warm. Those kids need to know that congregating in massive groups like that won't be tolerated; that they shouldn't even bother to come downtown b/c they'll be asked to keep moving along...

I will say though that as I was driving up Calvert St last Friday night around 11pm, I did see cops on every corner up to the courthouse. On some streets they just had their squad cars parked on the corner with the lights flashing, and they were out on the sidewalk, just milling around. So that was encouraging. I hope that continues.

I also am starting to appreciate the "segway guys" that "patrol" Mount Vernon, too - courtesy of my special benefits tax. ha.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0622 View Post
As a city resident who doesn't live far from the harbor, and likes to walk her dog there in the evenings, I am so disappointed in our elected officials' responses to the downtown mobs. At worst, these kids are fighting and hurting each other and/or assaulting random people that happen to in their vicinity... At best they are littering and making downtown/the inner harbor a mess, and are scaring away tourism and business that the harbor needs. As much as I think he's a blowhard, I wish we had a mayor like Rudy Guliani or even Mike Bloomberg - - either of those mayors would unapologetically take care of this situation. Unfortunately SRB (who I did NOT vote for!) will do nothing and instead will continue to tout the general decrease in crime city-wide. And the overall decrease is great. But there needs to be a serious and CONSISTENT police presence downtown every evening as soon as spring breaks and the weather gets remotely warm. Those kids need to know that congregating in massive groups like that won't be tolerated; that they shouldn't even bother to come downtown b/c they'll be asked to keep moving along...

I will say though that as I was driving up Calvert St last Friday night around 11pm, I did see cops on every corner up to the courthouse. On some streets they just had their squad cars parked on the corner with the lights flashing, and they were out on the sidewalk, just milling around. So that was encouraging. I hope that continues.

I also am starting to appreciate the "segway guys" that "patrol" Mount Vernon, too - courtesy of my special benefits tax. ha.
Baltimore Leaders Increase Security At Inner Harbor « CBS Baltimore

Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The city is 65% Black, if she said the same thing as McDonough she wouldn't be mayor much longer. She's already unpopular among many Black Baltimoreans. I guess she can go the Mayor Nutter route who condemn the behavior of African-American males but she'd have to do it delicately.
I think the issue is that McDonough publically stated that the problem is black youth. He tried to cover his tracks by claiming that it was not an issue about race, yet, in the same breath he pulled the a tree is a tree analogy by mentioning that those involved just happened to be black. Hey, this is an issue about safety, not race, but all of those involved are black, so what am I supposed to say, they are not black? Well, they are. Something like that.

Mayor Blake may not have the best record, but once McDonough said that, her hands were tied. If he simply said crime is getting out of hand in the Inner Harbor, leaving race and age out of it, Blake would be in a better position to respond appropriately.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:59 PM

503 posts, read 806,753 times
Move along, nothing to see here.

20-30 Students Mob 7-Eleven, Assault Owner On Free Slurpee Day « CBS Baltimore

Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think the issue is that McDonough publically stated that the problem is black youth. He tried to cover his tracks by claiming that it was not an issue about race, yet, in the same breath he pulled the a tree is a tree analogy by mentioning that those involved just happened to be black. Hey, this is an issue about safety, not race, but all of those involved are black, so what am I supposed to say, they are not black? Well, they are. Something like that.

Mayor Blake may not have the best record, but once McDonough said that, her hands were tied. If he simply said crime is getting out of hand in the Inner Harbor, leaving race and age out of it, Blake would be in a better position to respond appropriately.
I'm with McDonough, call a spade a spade. By saying there is a crime problem it implies that at any given time a random group of young people will attack in the Inner Harbor. So folks should be just as afraid of a group of Asian kids walking in the Harbor as they would Black and White. Yet we know the problem is groups of Black kids so these kids should be the focus.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 AM

342 posts, read 1,553,984 times
Don't think they didn't notice when a city cop tried to correct some spoiled, smartmouth kid at Harborplace and was fired for his efforts.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM

260 posts, read 842,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
Don't think they didn't notice when a city cop tried to correct some spoiled, smartmouth kid at Harborplace and was fired for his efforts.
The situation being referred to happened a few years ago and refers to an altercation between a kid who was skateboarding at Harborplace (and was white) and a police officer. The kid may have been a smartass and deserved a good tongue lashing but the minute that cop laid hands on the kid it became assault. The cop's firing was justified.

Here's the video for those interested

Baltimore cops V.S. skateboarder - YouTube

Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
The situation being referred to happened a few years ago and refers to an altercation between a kid who was skateboarding at Harborplace (and was white) and a police officer. The kid may have been a smartass and deserved a good tongue lashing but the minute that cop laid hands on the kid it became assault. The cop's firing was justified.

Here's the video for those interested

Baltimore cops V.S. skateboarder - YouTube
BS I didn't see anything in that video that deserved a firing. BPD needs more cops like this one. That's the only way you are going to get a handle on crime, cracking some skulls. I guess this is what passes for parenting these days being more concerned about little Johnny getting roughed up a bit for mouthing off as opposed to the mouthing off part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore