Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,439 times

Advertisements

I'll be transferring in the Fall to UB. I'm a female student, with a car, currently iving in Silver Spring (Montgomery County MD) which is about 1 hr away. Not willing to do the commute, plus I am ready to leave the house. If living close to campus is too expensive, I don't mind living in the suburbs. It would be ideal for me to minimize commute distance, though. I am looking for a studio or a 1 bd apartment up to $500 (maybe $600), or 2bd apartment (I would be living with a friend) up to $900-1000. Doesn't necesarily have to be an apartment building. I am also interested in houses that are split up.

My biggest concern is, as everyone knows, Baltimore is a very dangerous place. I don't know much about it, other than what I hear people say. I have only been there twice to see a concert at Sonar.

Does anyone know of relatively cheap but safe places to live around university of Baltimore, in or around the city, in the $500's range?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 AM

219 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
I am looking for a studio or a 1 bd apartment up to $500
Not gonna happen unless you like wearing a bullet-proof vest.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM

805 posts, read 2,105,515 times
$500 for a studio doesn't sound likely and definitely not a 1 BD in a decent area close to UB. The 2 BD is possible but the place will probably be grungy.

I think Craigslist is a good place to find a place.

Updated 2BR Apartment Available May!
2 Bedroom w/ Den Mount Vernon Apt
STUDIO APARTMENT- Avail June 1

Maybe Charles Village:
Charles Village Studio Within Walking Distance of JHU Homewood!

Roommates:
2 Roommates wanted in Charles Village June 1st

Old 05-27-2012, 12:33 PM

219 posts, read 437,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirley09 View Post
plus I am ready to leave the house. in or around the city, in the $500's range?

Thanks !
I'd also like to add that you wont find an apt for 500 in all of Maryland, unless you go to Hagerstown and beyond. I can say that because I myself have spent months looking for something.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,118,155 times
I think you could do it. Rent a parking space in a garage and sleep in the car. You could even tell people you live in a gated community.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:01 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,779,267 times
Default Facts of life

daecj-- You are real bad -- but absolutely right.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirley09 View Post
Does anyone know of relatively cheap but safe places to live around university of Baltimore,
in or around the city, in the $500's range?
Nope. Not me either.
Long story short... your $500 budget is the minimum needed to get you the 3rd
and smallest bedroom in a suburban house share situation.

Quote:
I don't know much about it, other than what I hear people say.
...as everyone knows, Baltimore is a very dangerous place.
I have only been there twice
It's a City and there is certainly crime to be found...
but nope not really any more dangerous than any other city. Even SS.

Quote:
I'll be transferring in the Fall to UB.
Undergrad? Will you be working as well?
Daytime or evening classes? Every day or just some days?

Quote:
I'm a female student, with a car... I don't mind living in the suburbs.
Conveniently... UB is very close to the JFX which will take you northward through
every housing price range and quality available.

When searching look for "Hampden" "Roland Park" "Mt Washington".
Also... focus on the OTHER aspects of your life (work and play) aside from the
relatively few hours each week that will be spent on campus.

hth

Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,973,188 times
if you increase your budget you might be able to do a share. I know you could get a safe "share" style apartment in the Cresmont lofts for under $800.

Cresmont Lofts Apartments, Baltimore (Remington), MD

Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,442,540 times
Absolutely possible. Check out the copy cat on guilford av. A semi converted industrial building. Lots of artists, musicians. Not the nicest, but almost certainly the cheapest.

Also check out house share craigslist ads

Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,352 times
I'm currently attending UB for graduate school. Your bugdget for living in the city isn't very ideal however. I ended up finding an apartment in Baltimore County in Parkville (off of Perring Parkway, which leads you straight into the city towards the campus) for $809. It's a 1 bedroom, very basic, no washer/dryer but at least I don't have to worry about parking. I'm very close to Towson Town Center (mall in Baltimore Co) and a Target, Walmart, Safeway and some other stores.

I moved from Northern VA, so I wasn't very familiar with the Bmore area either. I suggest looking at apartments in the county in Parkville or Towson or near 83 if you are worried about your safety in the city.

But seeing as you are moving from Moco, you may find the county boring. It's a more calm, slower pace. Hence, why I am moving to PG Co. and commuting for my last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore