U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 12,384 times

Advertisements

I've used this forum before when we got our previous orders to Seattle, and it was a great help in making our decision on where to settle in. I'm hoping for much in the same from you guys...no pressure!

First, I want to give you guys a little about us...we're a younger couple with an active lifestyle. We like to go out and enjoy everything there is to offer both by day and by night. We're not looking for a "downtown" city-like atmosphere, but more so a "Main St." vibe if at all. We also have a dog, so we'd need a pet-friendly neighborhood close enough to outdoor activities he can share with us.

My main concern, as I'm sure many have voiced in the past, is safety. So I'm sure you've got those bases covered already and are equipped in making your recommendation. Just keep in mind that we will likely only be in Baltimore for 3 to 4 years, and with no children as of yet, a good school district is not even a concern.

The only other concern is location. Since her unit is located SE of Baltimore, most living situations north of Baltimore would result in paying tolls on a daily basis. I'm not sure if her unit reimburses her on those tolls (highly doubt it), so that factors in how our decision as it would technically increase our rent exponentially.

I just want to thank you for any and all responses / recommendations in advance. Any insight on some must do / go-to's in Baltimore would be welcomed as well.

Thanks again...

-Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Forgot to post that as of the moment, we only have one car, and that we are targeting an area within a 30-35 minute commute to the Coast Guard Yard. And if knowing our budget financially makes it easier in narrowing down a geographical profile...we're not looking to spend any more than $1400 a month on a 2br apt.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,178,115 times
I live in Curtis Bay.

Right now, there's a nice house for sale in the 1700 block of Elm Tree St. I don't know if it's in your price range, but it's worth checking out. It's at the end of a short dead end, next to West Bay Park and across the street from the water tank property, so no houses to one side or across the street. This spot is 5 minutes from the Coast Guard Yard.

Brooklyn (Baltimore City) and Brooklyn Park (Anne Arundel County) are both areas that have good spots and not-so-good spots. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to see them for yourself in order to make a decision about living there.

Check into Glen Burnie, particularly areas off of Md. Rt. 10. Also look into areas such as Orchard Beach and Pasadena, near Ft. Smallwood Rd.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 PM

Thanks P47...should have specified that we're just looking to rent (either house or apartment depending on the deal).

We've heard some good things about Glen Burnie and some not so good things. We've definitely been interested in finding something in Pasadena, considering we've heard plenty of good things and its very location specific to what we're looking for. The only problem with Pasadena is, I can't find anything out there as to listed apartments. Seems to be the same 2 complexes flooding the listings (Marley Run and Americana).

What are some of the better apartment finders (.com's) that I can look into? Because I've pretty much flooded Craigslist and ApartmentFinder.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,163,538 times
What are your favorite neighborhoods in Seattle? I used to live there and could recomend some areas.

Since you're young, you're looking more for "main street" and don't care about schools, the city is where I'd start searching.

than Off the bat I'm thinking Locust Point might be good. Walk your dog around Ft McHenry, easy commute to Curtis Bay. Riverside could work as well.

I'm going to guess that Brooklyn, Brooklyn Park, Curtis Bay or Glen Burnie will not impress.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM

I lived in West Seattle and I can't imagine a better place to live, honestly. I absolutely loved it there. We spent a lot of time with friends who lived out in Issaquah and really liked that area as well.

We're looking to save on the cost of living IN the city, by being close enough to reap the rewards. Basically, we just want the biggest bang for our buck in an area that is safe and close enough for a reasonable commute.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscheeseD View Post
I lived in West Seattle and I can't imagine a better place to live, honestly. I absolutely loved it there. We spent a lot of time with friends who lived out in Issaquah and really liked that area as well.

We're looking to save on the cost of living IN the city, by being close enough to reap the rewards. Basically, we just want the biggest bang for our buck in an area that is safe and close enough for a reasonable commute.
Ah yes, West Seattle is really cool. I already decided that's where I'd live if I returned. Issaquah is also pretty nice because of its proximity to the mountains.

However, Baltimore is a little different from Seattle as far as rental pricing is concerned. Whereas in Seattle people would live in suburbs like Lynnwood, Kent, Renton because they couldn't afford Ballard, Fremont or Capitol Hill, Baltimore has a number of affordable and interesting areas in the city itself.

There really is no equivalent to either West Seattle or Issaquah. None of the suburbs are interesting, in any way, here. However, like Seattle, we do have a lot of unique neighborhoods. I would look at the ones I mentioned and add Hampden, Hamilton, Lauraville, Charles Village, Mt Vernon, Canton to the list. All are within 45 minutes to drive to Curtis Bay, most less. There's affordability to be found in each.

It sounds like the city of Frederick would appeal to you, but it's probably too far to commute.

Arbutus is an affordable suburb that offers a pretty big bang for the buck, though it isn't really a young place. Closeby, lots of access to highways and also commute rail access to DC. It's probably cheaper than Catonsville. Maybe Linthicum as well? Glen Burnie might not be the slum many think it is, but it certainly hasn't got much to do.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 15,423 times
In Baltimore City I'd suggest the following areas- Fells Point, Federal Hill, Canton, Locust Point (nice dog park there)and Harbor East.

Honestly though, from what you described above Annapolis would be a perfect fit for you. Very "main street" feel, super dog friendly (you have Quiet Waters Dog park, and a ton of restaurants that have outside dining areas you can bring your pooch to) That does put you about 20 miles away from the CG yard though- https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAgQ8gEwAA

Annapolis will run you more than Baltimore as well. Or you could do what I do and live in the 'burbs in Odenton, MD, (Crofton, MD is close by too) which doesn't have a lot to do in the town itself but is close to everything - Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, Arundel Mills Mall, and not too far from Ocean City (beach) either. I love living here.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craven2311 View Post
In Baltimore City I'd suggest the following areas- Fells Point, Federal Hill, Canton, Locust Point (nice dog park there)and Harbor East.

Honestly though, from what you described above Annapolis would be a perfect fit for you. Very "main street" feel, super dog friendly (you have Quiet Waters Dog park, and a ton of restaurants that have outside dining areas you can bring your pooch to) That does put you about 20 miles away from the CG yard though- https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAgQ8gEwAA

Annapolis will run you more than Baltimore as well. Or you could do what I do and live in the 'burbs in Odenton, MD, (Crofton, MD is close by too) which doesn't have a lot to do in the town itself but is close to everything - Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, Arundel Mills Mall, and not too far from Ocean City (beach) either. I love living here.
If in your price range, Annapolis offers a pretty good quality of life.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 AM

Just wanted to thank you guys again for taking the time out to respond...I've been reading up and doing some research on some of these places you've recommended and there are some pretty nice places available that I've come across.

I've never really thought about ACTUALLY living in Annapolis, but to find a location inside its parameters in order to open up my job search when the time comes. But it looks like it could be a possibility. My wife reports for work June 18th, and we're going to go check out some of the areas this week. Looking forward to spending some time and getting to know the city!

Any more recommendations would be welcomed...and if anyone knows any other websites other than Craigslist to find a damn apartment it would be much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore