Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Baltimore seems to take a lot of hard knocks with negatives - seemingly crime and racial issues.

What are some of the things that make Baktimore worth living in despite those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Baltimore seems to take a lot of hard knocks with negatives - seemingly crime and racial issues.
What are some of the things that make Baltimore worth living in despite those things?
Once you recognize and accept that the "negative" things about Baltimore and in particular the two you cite
exist in every large US city and like in those cities they really don't directly affect very many...
what does that leave you?

And in the reverse (btw, just how many threads are you going to start exploring the same basic issues?)...
the basic amenities of "the good life" (universities, hospitals, libraries, schools, theater, sports and so forth)
also exist in every large US city and they also don't really directly affect very many directly...

Mostly that leaves the relatively strong regional economy that allows people to earn the dosh needed
to engage with the rather good and to resist the unavoidable bad.

So unless you're going to get into yet another head to head comparison between specific examples...
you're back to another pointless 'why is it" thread. On second thought most of those are rather pointless too.

hth

Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Baltimore does have some nice neighborhoods. It has a great restaurant scene, although the nicer restaurants seem to be getting more and more expensive.

I think the thing that draws people to Baltimore is the fact that you can be yourself there; there is less pretentiousness that one finds in a lot of other big cities. Pretentiousness still exists there, but it's not as pervasive.

It also has some history, character and a sense of place. To compare and contrast it with DC, DC is big, wordly, classy, and has a lot to do, but it feels a little sterile to me. Baltimore, on the other hand, is a city where it's easy to talk to people of all socioeconomic backgrounds. You're more likely to strike up a conversation with random people in Baltimore than you are in DC.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
I like it because it's possible to live well without being exceptionally wealthy, there are tons of creative people here and truly excellent music and art, folks are generally friendly, and there is far less snobbery here than in other places. I find it easiest to make friends compared to other places I've lived (6 other states).

For the most part, the negatives can be ingnored, avoided, mitigated, or worked on, depeding on your inclination.

It's not paradise by any stretch of the imagination, but it can be wildly fun to live here.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Interesting architecture and real estate which is relatively affordable. EG, compare Ten Hills with Bethesda.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
I miss knowing my neighbors and having block parties and shoveling snow and bar hopping when I lived in Canton.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,656 times
Baltimore native here.

It's an interesting, down-to-earth place where many to most can have a decent to very good life -- without goo-gobs of money as other posters have said. Add to that the cultural, historial and architectural qualities, and it gets even more interesting. There are some good public schools here, believe it or not (many of them magnet and private, but at least there are choices). Also, it's not the biggest city but not a tiny one, so it's just right for many people.

I think the discussion or obssession over the negatives is based in a desire to hold on to Baltimore's positives and not let the crap take over. Also, for a lot of the have-nots (and have-littles) and those who live close by, the ignorance in Baltimore can be a real drag on the quality of life. I'm talking the druggie and drunk ignorance. The unreasonable, violent, unbelievably cruel hair-trigger temper ignorance that I swear is perpetrated by former crack babies. The drug-dealing ignorance. The "come hell or high water, I'm going to do the stupidest things possible" ignorance. Such ignorance doesn't exist in all parts of Baltimore, but it's dispersed enough for people to be mighty concerned.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I like it because it's possible to live well without being exceptionally wealthy, there are tons of creative people here and truly excellent music and art, folks are generally friendly, and there is far less snobbery here than in other places. I find it easiest to make friends compared to other places I've lived (6 other states).

For the most part, the negatives can be ingnored, avoided, mitigated, or worked on, depeding on your inclination.

It's not paradise by any stretch of the imagination, but it can be wildly fun to live here.
I couldn't agree more

Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Baltimore native here.

It's an interesting, down-to-earth place where many to most can have a decent to very good life -- without goo-gobs of money as other posters have said. Add to that the cultural, historial and architectural qualities, and it gets even more interesting. There are some good public schools here, believe it or not (many of them magnet and private, but at least there are choices). Also, it's not the biggest city but not a tiny one, so it's just right for many people.

I think the discussion or obssession over the negatives is based in a desire to hold on to Baltimore's positives and not let the crap take over. Also, for a lot of the have-nots (and have-littles) and those who live close by, the ignorance in Baltimore can be a real drag on the quality of life. I'm talking the druggie and drunk ignorance. The unreasonable, violent, unbelievably cruel hair-trigger temper ignorance that I swear is perpetrated by former crack babies. The drug-dealing ignorance. The "come hell or high water, I'm going to do the stupidest things possible" ignorance. Such ignorance doesn't exist in all parts of Baltimore, but it's dispersed enough for people to be mighty concerned.
Agreed.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Once you recognize and accept that the "negative" things about Baltimore and in particular the two you cite
exist in every large US city and like in those cities they really don't directly affect very many...

And in the reverse (btw, just how many threads are you going to start exploring the same basic issues?)...
the basic amenities of "the good life" (universities, hospitals, libraries, schools, theater, sports and so forth)
also exist in every large US city and they also don't really directly affect very many directly...

Mostly that leaves the relatively strong regional economy that allows people to earn the dosh needed
to engage with the rather good and to resist the unavoidable bad.

So unless you're going to get into yet another head to head comparison between specific examples...
you're back to another pointless 'why is it" thread. On second thought most of those are rather pointless too.

hth
Yes! Let's all recognize and accept the negative. Especially crime and race issues. Now I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore