Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 AM

85 posts, read 246,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Pazo's chef just started at Three..., a new restaurant at the corner of Linwood and Baltimore St. across from Patterson Park, so all you Pazo fans should try it, if you are looking for a new place to eat. It's very good!
The question is who is taking me to "THREE's" first? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 12,282 times
Being new to Baltimore and only been here a few weeks, I really appreciate these ideas and have written them down myself as well.

Question -
Not really knowing anyone in Baltimore yet, are any of these pretty easy going for a single female? Also, are there any great live music venues? I used to listen to live bands all the time and would love to find some places that offer a variety of live music, smaller area bands are fine too.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM

50 posts, read 161,250 times
Default couple more suggestions

All the places mentioned so far are great. I also like Minato on Charles, Tapas Teatro a little further north, and in my neighborhood, The Metropolitan. My wife and I love these places. We're a bit more laid back and less "into a scene." Anyway, B Newbie, if you'd like to meet us for dinner some time at any of these places, we'd be happy to extend a warm welcome to Baltimore.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassa View Post
Being new to Baltimore and only been here a few weeks, I really appreciate these ideas and have written them down myself as well.

Question -
Not really knowing anyone in Baltimore yet, are any of these pretty easy going for a single female? Also, are there any great live music venues? I used to listen to live bands all the time and would love to find some places that offer a variety of live music, smaller area bands are fine too.

Thanks!
We're in the same boat girl!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest2 View Post
All the places mentioned so far are great. I also like Minato on Charles, Tapas Teatro a little further north, and in my neighborhood, The Metropolitan. My wife and I love these places. We're a bit more laid back and less "into a scene." Anyway, B Newbie, if you'd like to meet us for dinner some time at any of these places, we'd be happy to extend a warm welcome to Baltimore.
Hey thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate that and perhaps I will take you up on the offer. I'm a very open-minded and social person so meeting new and nice people like yourself would be a great benefit. I'll send you a private message with my personal email address so we can stay in touch. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:43 AM

28 posts, read 120,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassa View Post

Question -

Thanks!
I am in a band and we are playing the ottobar tonight so you should come check that out.

Here are the venues that I know about from my favorite to my least favorite.

The Talking Head - This is the perfect sized club to see smaller acts in(probably less than 150 people). Just reopened, they have the best sound in town. Down town on davis st. off of lexington

The Ottobar - baltimore's indie club. I've seen tons of great acts here over the years. Being able to go and hang out upstairs is a huge plus. You can go upstairs any night of the week, and theres usually something going on downstairs. 2600 block of howard st.

The Lo-fi Social club - I haven't been here yet, but has tons of potential. located on the 1800 block of charles st in station north. Great indie stuff.

The Sidebar - not too many great acts come through here because their booking kinda sucks, but its also a cool smaller place. guilford and lexington

Sonar - I haven't been to a good show here yet, but all the great indie/pitchfork bands come through here. saratoga st.

The Depot - bands play here i guess, I have never been. 1700 block charles st.

The Charm City Art Space - Yes its a basement, best DIY/punk venue in the city. 1729 Maryland avenue

8x10 - Never been here. I am not really interested in seeing any of the bands that usually play here. Cross st in federal hill.

Bohegars - Big venue in fells pt. Don't think I have ever been here.

Brass Monkey - bond st in fells, haven't been here in years and years. not sure if they still do live shows

Rams Head Live - There haven't been any bands playing here that i was really interested in seeing. seems like too much of a rock club for my tastes.

Theres tons more venues, the city paper has a good list of events and venues

Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
8X10 used to be a great venue -- they'd get some pretty big acts, for being such a small space. Now that Federal Hill is "gentrified" the bands don't come around anymore. A shame, really.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM

28 posts, read 120,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
8X10 used to be a great venue -- they'd get some pretty big acts, for being such a small space. Now that Federal Hill is "gentrified" the bands don't come around anymore. A shame, really.
Federal hill being gentrified probably didn't affect the bands. The management of the 8x10/funkbox has changed a couple of times, and they probably don't have a solid/reliable promoter/booker to deal with bigger acts. Not to mention the place is smaller, and when there are larger more established clubs in Baltimore, its probably nearly impossible for them entice good acts to their club.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Federal hill being gentrified probably didn't affect the bands. The management of the 8x10/funkbox has changed a couple of times, and they probably don't have a solid/reliable promoter/booker to deal with bigger acts. Not to mention the place is smaller, and when there are larger more established clubs in Baltimore, its probably nearly impossible for them entice good acts to their club.
True, it's changed hands over the years, which didn't help. I liked the fact that it was small -- it was a great venue to see well-known acts up close. In New York there are a few venues like that, and it's a nice way to see a band that would normally play a large club or even an arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: