U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,210 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are planinng to move to Baltimore in July. We are moving because my husband got accepted to Loyal University's master's program. I have applied to numerous places with no luck, so right now we're planning on moving without employment. I'm hoping that my current West Virginian address is what is warding off employers, even though I have noted the move in my cover letter/resume (BA in business with some HR experience, btw).

We are spending the first week of July in Baltimore to hunt for apartments and townhouses. We've call plenty of places that won't work out do to no pets (can't leave our cat behind), too expensive (need $850 or less), or we don't qualify due to no income. We're working with a real estate agent who is a family friend with some townhouses and the only apartment complex that fits the bill is Roland Apts. They waive credit checks, deposit, etc for university students. We should be able to get a co-signer to help us, but we don't know if landlords look more for income or credit score of a co-signer.

We don't have much money to go on. We didn't have much time to save because we didn't know we were going to live in Baltimore until not too long ago when he got accepted.

So our situation is no jobs, no place to live yet and no money. We're moving regardless, though, for education. Any suggestions as to how to go about looking for employment once we arrive in Baltimore? Also, any suggestions of good places to check out for housing with our tricky situation, or places that specifically help out students.

Thanks in advance for any much appreciated help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM
 
104 posts, read 156,934 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlatypus87 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are planinng to move to Baltimore in July. We are moving because my husband got accepted to Loyal University's master's program. I have applied to numerous places with no luck, so right now we're planning on moving without employment. I'm hoping that my current West Virginian address is what is warding off employers, even though I have noted the move in my cover letter/resume (BA in business with some HR experience, btw).

We are spending the first week of July in Baltimore to hunt for apartments and townhouses. We've call plenty of places that won't work out do to no pets (can't leave our cat behind), too expensive (need $850 or less), or we don't qualify due to no income. We're working with a real estate agent who is a family friend with some townhouses and the only apartment complex that fits the bill is Roland Apts. They waive credit checks, deposit, etc for university students. We should be able to get a co-signer to help us, but we don't know if landlords look more for income or credit score of a co-signer.

We don't have much money to go on. We didn't have much time to save because we didn't know we were going to live in Baltimore until not too long ago when he got accepted.

So our situation is no jobs, no place to live yet and no money. We're moving regardless, though, for education. Any suggestions as to how to go about looking for employment once we arrive in Baltimore? Also, any suggestions of good places to check out for housing with our tricky situation, or places that specifically help out students.

Thanks in advance for any much appreciated help.
You're coming into what sadly, is a high income area with little need for landlords to rent to people in your situation. Have you checked with the university about where they would reccomend living? Your situation can't be very unique to them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,210 times
Reputation: 10
The university sends out places that past students are leaving or suggest. They're always too expensive or looking for one roommate. As a married couple with a cat, we're hoping to have a place of our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Medfield neighborhood of Baltimore City
181 posts, read 381,183 times
Reputation: 37
Hi RED87,
If he's coming into a master's program at Loyola, I imagine he's either got a stipend or grant, or some money saved up to have a max budget of $850/month.

I saw the ad for the Roland Ridge apartments and saw their lenient requirements--I believe those were only for grad students. That will probably be your best bet. Hubby can actually walk to school; it's a straight shot on Cold Spring Lane, but most likely one of you can drive, or he'll meet other students who live nearby.

If Roland Ridge doesn't work for you, I recommend Falls Court apartments, and Hickory Heights apartments, both a bit closer and a moderate walk to Loyola's campus. Both accept cats. Both should be under $850. I don't however, know what their income or credit requirements are. Either would likely take co-signors in lieu of your financial history.

Co-signors must meet the landlord's standards (which vary), as to income and/or credit score.

The job market in Baltimore is generally dismal for about the lower 80% of folks. Your degree may help, but it's no guarantee. It takes a while to find work in this economy, though there are plenty of part-time jobs around to the west of the campus, especially along Falls Road. You might have to work in a job which doesn't require a degree or is not full time. In this market, one cannot be too choosy till you get your feet on the ground.

I also recommend going on various college's websites.

On Johns Hopkins website, for example, has hundreds of job, though mostly medical. However, you can sign up for something called a "career agent", which allows you to give some information abut yourself and the computer accepts your resume. Hopkins then sends you an email when jobs which might fit you come open.

Good luck; dm if you have any more specific questions.

Buz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:34 PM
 
5 posts, read 4,210 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by medfieldbum View Post
Hi RED87,
If he's coming into a master's program at Loyola, I imagine he's either got a stipend or grant, or some money saved up to have a max budget of $850/month.

I saw the ad for the Roland Ridge apartments and saw their lenient requirements--I believe those were only for grad students. That will probably be your best bet. Hubby can actually walk to school; it's a straight shot on Cold Spring Lane, but most likely one of you can drive, or he'll meet other students who live nearby.

If Roland Ridge doesn't work for you, I recommend Falls Court apartments, and Hickory Heights apartments, both a bit closer and a moderate walk to Loyola's campus. Both accept cats. Both should be under $850. I don't however, know what their income or credit requirements are. Either would likely take co-signors in lieu of your financial history.

Co-signors must meet the landlord's standards (which vary), as to income and/or credit score.

The job market in Baltimore is generally dismal for about the lower 80% of folks. Your degree may help, but it's no guarantee. It takes a while to find work in this economy, though there are plenty of part-time jobs around to the west of the campus, especially along Falls Road. You might have to work in a job which doesn't require a degree or is not full time. In this market, one cannot be too choosy till you get your feet on the ground.

I also recommend going on various college's websites.

On Johns Hopkins website, for example, has hundreds of job, though mostly medical. However, you can sign up for something called a "career agent", which allows you to give some information abut yourself and the computer accepts your resume. Hopkins then sends you an email when jobs which might fit you come open.

Good luck; dm if you have any more specific questions.

Buz
Thanks for the detailed help. My husband got squat from Loyola. $850 is only because family will be able to chip in per month if necessary. We're really hoping for $750 or lower. Great to know that Roland is so close to Loyola, and we'll definitely check out the other suggestions.

I won't be picky at all with jobs. I just hope I don't end up under qualified for most jobs, then over qualified for others. I've applied to jobs with numerous colleges (including a butt ton with John Hopkins) but didn't know about the career agent. I will try that out. I'll also with temp and placement agencies once there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
3,108 posts, read 4,338,176 times
Reputation: 1315
Just a job search hint, try to open a PO box in or near Baltimore, or use the address of any friends or family you have nearer to the city. Depending on how far into WV you are, it could be a red-flag to employers. Not necessarily because you are from WV, but because your accepting a job offer is reliant on relocating, hubby attending school, and all of the drama that accompanies it.

An applicant with an identical resume and cover, but a local address, and no backstory about a long distance relocation is going to get more consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
 
1,829 posts, read 2,341,817 times
Reputation: 1165
Here's a Maryland State employment website:

Job Seekers

Also, you may want to see if you can get into substitute teaching in the city schools.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
 
2,913 posts, read 2,125,529 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlatypus87 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are planinng to move to Baltimore in July. We are moving because my husband got accepted to Loyal University's master's program. I have applied to numerous places with no luck, so right now we're planning on moving without employment. I'm hoping that my current West Virginian address is what is warding off employers, even though I have noted the move in my cover letter/resume (BA in business with some HR experience, btw).

We are spending the first week of July in Baltimore to hunt for apartments and townhouses. We've call plenty of places that won't work out do to no pets (can't leave our cat behind), too expensive (need $850 or less), or we don't qualify due to no income. We're working with a real estate agent who is a family friend with some townhouses and the only apartment complex that fits the bill is Roland Apts. They waive credit checks, deposit, etc for university students. We should be able to get a co-signer to help us, but we don't know if landlords look more for income or credit score of a co-signer.

We don't have much money to go on. We didn't have much time to save because we didn't know we were going to live in Baltimore until not too long ago when he got accepted.

So our situation is no jobs, no place to live yet and no money. We're moving regardless, though, for education. Any suggestions as to how to go about looking for employment once we arrive in Baltimore? Also, any suggestions of good places to check out for housing with our tricky situation, or places that specifically help out students.

Thanks in advance for any much appreciated help.
Go to southernmanagement.com. I believe they will rent to you without a job if you provide them with an acceptance letter from U.B and some other schools. I am not sure if Loyal University is one of them. I believe Roland Apts is managed by southern management.

In regards to employment, I would start with your husband's school and post your resume on Baltimore job websites. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,650 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlatypus87 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are planinng to move to Baltimore in July. We are moving because my husband got accepted to Loyal University's master's program. I have applied to numerous places with no luck, so right now we're planning on moving without employment. I'm hoping that my current West Virginian address is what is warding off employers, even though I have noted the move in my cover letter/resume (BA in business with some HR experience, btw).

We are spending the first week of July in Baltimore to hunt for apartments and townhouses. We've call plenty of places that won't work out do to no pets (can't leave our cat behind), too expensive (need $850 or less), or we don't qualify due to no income. We're working with a real estate agent who is a family friend with some townhouses and the only apartment complex that fits the bill is Roland Apts. They waive credit checks, deposit, etc for university students. We should be able to get a co-signer to help us, but we don't know if landlords look more for income or credit score of a co-signer.

We don't have much money to go on. We didn't have much time to save because we didn't know we were going to live in Baltimore until not too long ago when he got accepted.

So our situation is no jobs, no place to live yet and no money. We're moving regardless, though, for education. Any suggestions as to how to go about looking for employment once we arrive in Baltimore? Also, any suggestions of good places to check out for housing with our tricky situation, or places that specifically help out students.

Thanks in advance for any much appreciated help.
When you say "difficult move to Baltimore" there is no other kind....We came here under somewhat similar circumstances, though a little farther down the line, i.e. after grad school, kids...we live around Loyola as well, University avenue.

Baltimore has become a festering pit of malfeseance frankly. Jobs? even the most menial of them are either scams, offered by arrogant pissants, not worth having. People drive here aggressively and foolishly, this has become in my mind a nightmare from the city I left years ago. First off, if you get an old car, have it inspected in the county somewhere or you will get taken to the bank.... Second in your area watch for traffic cameras in places like Roland ave and Coldspring, you will get traffic citasions from these cameras otherwise. Any type of registering for social services, MVA, etc? good luck Baltimore has perfected the perfect cocktail to make anyone hate life in these burocratic processes....the perfect mix of surley and stupidity is to be had here....I can get done in one day in Louisiana what it takes me a month to get done with in Baltimore. If you can... keep your driver's license out of state!

Craigslist has jobs but sooooo many scams. I have had some luck. What you do is go to the job and if it is a group interview situation? run....don't look back, high tail it because it is a scam. Also occasionally Washington has resources like jobs. it is worth it to commute conceviably...its only a 30 minute ride and you definitely avoid the omnipresent horror that is Baltimore. You will soon learn why you occasionally see people muttering "DC" with a glassy eyed smile, no it is not a drug!

For food try the Waverly market on Saturday (Farmers market) and for housing you should be able to get something for around 700 if it is small. Try the big buildings and craigslist, or google baltimore apartments there are plenty or areas you can find a decent place cheap.....just not walking distance from Loyola...and you will need a car here, the buses are like everything else here. Sorry that you have to be here for graduate school...Make the best of it and the silver lining is you will no doubt become one of those young couples we see glassy eyed in the hallways muttering "DC" (as in washington dc) as they lick their lips and count the days before they can leave for greener pastures. Besides Philly and New York are nearby and a 25 dollar bus ride with the bus system! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
 
4 posts, read 1,650 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlatypus87 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are planinng to move to Baltimore in July. We are moving because my husband got accepted to Loyal University's master's program. I have applied to numerous places with no luck, so right now we're planning on moving without employment. I'm hoping that my current West Virginian address is what is warding off employers, even though I have noted the move in my cover letter/resume (BA in business with some HR experience, btw).

We are spending the first week of July in Baltimore to hunt for apartments and townhouses. We've call plenty of places that won't work out do to no pets (can't leave our cat behind), too expensive (need $850 or less), or we don't qualify due to no income. We're working with a real estate agent who is a family friend with some townhouses and the only apartment complex that fits the bill is Roland Apts. They waive credit checks, deposit, etc for university students. We should be able to get a co-signer to help us, but we don't know if landlords look more for income or credit score of a co-signer.

We don't have much money to go on. We didn't have much time to save because we didn't know we were going to live in Baltimore until not too long ago when he got accepted.

So our situation is no jobs, no place to live yet and no money. We're moving regardless, though, for education. Any suggestions as to how to go about looking for employment once we arrive in Baltimore? Also, any suggestions of good places to check out for housing with our tricky situation, or places that specifically help out students.

Thanks in advance for any much appreciated help.
When you say "difficult move to Baltimore" there is no other kind....We came here under somewhat similar circumstances, though a little farther down the line, i.e. after grad school, kids...we live around Loyola as well, University avenue.

Baltimore has become a festering pit of malfeseance frankly. Jobs? even the most menial of them are either scams, offered by arrogant pissants, not worth having. People drive here aggressively and foolishly, this has become in my mind a nightmare from the city I left years ago. First off, if you get an old car, have it inspected in the county somewhere or you will get taken to the bank.... Second in your area watch for traffic cameras in places like Roland ave and Coldspring, you will get traffic citasions from these cameras otherwise. Any type of registering for social services, MVA, etc? good luck Baltimore has perfected the perfect cocktail to make anyone hate life in these burocratic processes....the perfect mix of surley and stupidity is to be had here....I can get done in one day in Louisiana what it takes me a month to get done with in Baltimore. If you can keep your license out of state!

Craigslist has jobs but sooooo many scams. I have had some luck. What you do is go to the job and if it is a group interview situation? run....don't look back, high tail it because it is a scam. Also occasionally Washington has resources like jobs. it is worth it to commute conceviably...its only a 30 minute ride and you definitely avoid the omnipresent horror that is Baltimore.

For food try the Waverly market on Saturday (Farmers market) and for housing you should be able to get something for around 700 if it is small. Try the big buildings and craigslist, google ba;timore apartments there are plenty or areas you can find a decent place cheap.....just not walking distance from Loyola...and you will need a car here, the buses are like everything else here. Sorry that you have to be here for graduate school...ake the best of it and the silver lining is you will no doubt become one of those young couples we see glassy eyed in the hallways muttering "DC" (as in washington dc) as they lick their lips and count the days before they can leave Hopkins. Besides Philly and New York are nearby and a 25 dollar bus ride with the bus system! Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top