Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times

Advertisements

Clyde,

What do you mean by behind? I'm not being a smart a$$, just asking for clarification? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
I have a lot of family and friends from New York. They always have a good time when they visit Baltimore.

Why would anyone want to visit Baltimore after reading that NYT article? I have to admit, those thugs are aggravating. Try playing tennis in otherwise beautiful Druid Hill Park on the weekends when they ride through thinking they own the place.

Then again, why would anyone want to visit Baltimore after watching the Today Show during their Super Bowl special episode showing the best parts of the city?

Baltimore does have more ghetto than the other major East Coast cities except maybe Philly. With DC expanding so rapidly though, Baltimore is reaping some of the benefits. It just feels like it's 10 years behind DC and Philly, and 20 years behind Boston and Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM

95 posts, read 170,866 times
D.C and Philly are currently gentrifying at a rapid rate. A lot of development is occurring, especially in once rundown transitional neighborhoods like Capital Heights and South Philly.

My family and friends from Brooklyn say Baltimore reminds them of Brooklyn 20-30 years ago before it got so hip, expensive, and shi shi.

We all see Baltimore eventually catching up to these other important cities if it can continue improving, but still maintaining its unique identity. I already see it in my old neighborhood of Hampden where I still own several rental properties: The development that is being planned for the Rotunda, the desirability of the neighborhood by MICA grads and other artists, the young professionals and families eagerly looking to rent our properties, the continued transformation of The Avenue, the influence of nearby Johns Hopkins University, the decline of drug dealing and addicts from the 90s, and the stregthening community association.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times
Default Thanks!

Interesting perspective. I live in Waverly not to far from Belvedere Square. These developments you speak of are really slow and counterproductive in the realm of maintaining Baltimore's historical uniqueness. Baltimore is more like East New York (Brooklyn) where my ex is from. Baltimore needs more African American businesses, progress grassroots economic development and mental health programs. Nices places such as: Hampden, Caton, The Inner Harbor, Johns Hopkins University areas are not the only places designated as fun and interesting!!

I want Baltimore to take notes from their surrounding sister cities on ideas and time frames for development, restoration and expansion. Just because it's a small town shouldn't equate to having small minds in the process IMHO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Pharmer View Post
D.C and Philly are currently gentrifying at a rapid rate. A lot of development is occurring, especially in once rundown transitional neighborhoods like Capital Heights and South Philly.

My family and friends from Brooklyn say Baltimore reminds them of Brooklyn 20-30 years ago before it got so hip, expensive, and shi shi.

We all see Baltimore eventually catching up to these other important cities if it can continue improving, but still maintaining its unique identity. I already see it in my old neighborhood of Hampden where I still own several rental properties: The development that is being planned for the Rotunda, the desirability of the neighborhood by MICA grads and other artists, the young professionals and families eagerly looking to rent our properties, the continued transformation of The Avenue, the influence of nearby Johns Hopkins University, the decline of drug dealing and addicts from the 90s, and the stregthening community association.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default More evidence, as if it was needed

Va. lawmakers approve landmark transportation plan - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore