Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,843 times

Advertisements

Everything I need to know I learned from The Wire and my ex-gf, who was a Baltimore native.... jk...kinda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I should have been more specific in my dismissive comment about Tom Lennox70.

What is it about Randallstown, Pikesville and Lansdowne that you don't like since they specifically are singled out? Tens of thousands live in them, of free choice.

Additionally, plenty of new investment is going to Lansdowne.

Furthermore: "Also, a lot of people from New York and DC look down on Maryland as not being sophisticated enough thru their elitist lens," Tom writes.

Isn't it interesting that the Pikesville area is the metro region's chief magnet of families from New York?
Seven hundred thousand people live in Detroit of free choice despite atrocious schools and now bodies being dumped on empty streets. Just because people live there doesn't mean an area is immune from criticism.

Vacant Detroit becomes dumping ground for the dead - US news - NBCNews.com

Old 08-04-2012, 04:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The point Barante seems to be trying to make is that the abandoned areas of DC, what few of them remain, may be similar in appearance to those of Baltimore ... but due to the factors he listed, they are vastly different. Or perhaps, their "potential" is.

Admittedly, I don't go to DC very often, but when I do, I am about as shocked as Barante at what's going on.
He's right to a degree. Nothing in Anacostia quite measures up to the desolation that can be seen in wide swaths of Baltimore. However DC still has it's ghettos. Also a lot of the gentrification in Anacostia goes unnoticed since the gentrifiers are young black professionals.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default A flashback

Here is a blashback to the background of our recent Baltimore/DC conversation .

To those who cannot figure out why I introduce this c. 1975 song here, it triggered a fierce debate. There is a whole body of scholarly work you may find referenced on google and google scholar.

How do we interpret this song today?

Parliament - Chocolate City - YouTube

Last edited by barante; 08-05-2012 at 03:15 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 AM

Default Challenges of gentrification

D.C. police chief says predicting crime is way to protect new development in district - The Washington Post

Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Default This is what I mean

Washington, DC-14th street Columbia Heights - YouTube This clip is a year-old now and a lot has changed to gentrify Columbia Heights, above U and along 14th.The first turning point was the construction of a new city office building. Then came the Metro. A crescent of infill revitalization is now, bridging Columbia Heights to Adams Morgan.

Meanwhile, Baltimore keeps sponsoring the Grand Prix! No wonder the outside world keeps laughing at us.

Last edited by barante; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 PM

163 posts, read 259,464 times
Lol @ the grand prix hahahaha Baltimore is so simple

Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,616 times
Interesting topic -- Baltimore v. Washington.

This year, 2012, we commemorate the war of 1812, and remember that Olde Baltimore stopped the advance of the British after they had burned much of Washington to the ground. Fort McHenry, The Star Spangled Banner, and all of that.

Maybe Washingtonians shouldn't be too uppity after all . . .

Old 08-06-2012, 06:44 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Interesting topic -- Baltimore v. Washington.

This year, 2012, we commemorate the war of 1812, and remember that Olde Baltimore stopped the advance of the British after they had burned much of Washington to the ground. Fort McHenry, The Star Spangled Banner, and all of that.

Maybe Washingtonians shouldn't be too uppity after all . . .
With little resistance, I might add.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
One striking difference between Baltimore and some of the other Cities in the NE.. is that while in DC and maybe parts of Philly transit has SPURRED development/redevelopment. Transit is often SPURN development in Baltimore. From the incomplete subway and light rail system to the fight for/against the red line. In DC many folk in Georgetown may wish that they could roll back the clock on their decision to not allow metro through their hood. I doubt there are many neighborhoods in Baltimore that wish that they had the Light Rail Line or the Metro subway running through their neighborhoods.. In fact many are probably celebrating the fact that they dont have it or are trying to close the stations that they do have.. Linthicum comes to mind with their efforts to close the Light Rail Station there and Ruxton's efforts to successfully keep one from opening. Philadelphia has a long established rail transit system.. which is leading to the revitalization of some areas that have stations...transit has also spurred the redevelopment of a section of North Philadelphia along Girard Ave where they have re-established trolley service.

Even if Baltimore had a well developed Subway system I am not sure that the impact would be what you see in DC around the DC Metro stops...save the few in PG County that are just now trying to promote transit oriented develoment around them. You would have a few successful developments around some BMO stations.. but not a huge amount.. which goes back to the whole white collar job, corporate headquarters, major company downtown discussions in many threads.. In fact.. Baltimore may be fortunate to some degree not to have major suburban transit hubs like New Carrollton, Silver Spring etc. If White Marsh had the Metro Subway, bus transfer station and an Amtrak Station like New Carrollton.. it would could actually siphon some business and development away from Downtown. Imagine a Town Center like development(aka Silver Spring) at White Marsh.. suburban, on I-95, AMTRAK and MARC service....between DC and NYC.. It could be an attractive residential, business, and commercial center to chagrin of downtown.. Especially if suburban delegates kept playing up negative ads like downtown is dirty, unsafe, and has high taxes.....

Last edited by Woodlands; 08-06-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore