Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:40 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,416,516 times

Advertisements

This has always fascinated me on why other cities on the eastern seaboard look at Baltimore with so much contempt and disgust? How true is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times
Do they?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default HandsUpThumbsDown's good question

Baltimore used to be a truly important city. I am told that the now-forgotten credit agency, Dunn and Bradstreet, had its second biggest office here because there was so much clothesmaking, manufacturing and commerce here. Lots of early canning along the waterfront, for example.

Long before contarization and air freight, Baltimore was one of the most important seaports. It not only handled trans-Atlantic passenger trade but had a thriving bay fleet servicing points south in Virginia. It also had thriving Caribbean trade. In general, Baltimore was seen as a Southern city, a commercial gateway to the south. Insurance companies and financial houses serving the South had regional headquarters here.

Much of this changed after WWII. Yet it is not the outsiders that are among Baltimore's leading disparagers. In fact, many outsiders find Baltimore strange in a quaint way. Instead, it is Baltimore region residents that want to put the city down. Many have not been to the downtown area for decades. When they comment on Baltimore and what is happening here, they spread misconceptions and ignorance.

I have always wondered whether this is emotional revenge because so many fled from changing neighborhoods and became embittered.

I was watching the Inner Harbor fireworks from the 14th floor of the Hyatt on Fourth of July. I don't know what crowd estimates the breathless tv-talkers mentioned. But I thought the harbor was not that crowded at all. Ditto when the tall ships visited.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 AM

789 posts, read 368,277 times
Three hours to NYC, 1½ hrs to Philly, 30-45 minutes to DC - Baltimore kind of fell by the wayside due to its proximity to these, still, large cities.

Baltimore was important throughout the history of the colonies and early days of the states - even up to the mid-20th century. Bemoan the fact or ignore it, it's just not so much, anymore, due to my point above.

I'll refrain from mentioning political factors, other than to say that there is fault there too.

{Maryland born-and-raised, left after more than 44 yrs there...}

Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,852 times
Baltimore and Detroit, along with Camden and Newark, have unsavory reputations for poverty and crime, and deservingly so. (At one time DC was in this category as well; it seems to be doing much better.)

It is interesting to read forum posts of other cities. Rarely does the theme "a safe place to live" occur. In contrast, inquiries from non-residents as to crime and safety dominate the Baltimore forum posts.

It may take Baltimore a long time to crawl out from under this rock.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
This has always fascinated me on why other cities on the eastern seaboard look at Baltimore with so much contempt and disgust? How true is this?
LOL! Is this post for real?

Other cities need to actually look at Baltimore that way for me to give you a real answer. But, since other cities don't, I can't answer your question.

Have a great weekend!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I was watching the Inner Harbor fireworks from the 14th floor of the Hyatt on Fourth of July. I don't know what crowd estimates the breathless tv-talkers mentioned. But I thought the harbor was not that crowded at all. Ditto when the tall ships visited.
I thought the turn out for the Sailabration was pretty good, the most crowded I had seen the harbor in a long time. We live in walking distance, went down to the harbor both Saturday and Sunday; it was so crowded with long lines that we couldn't get on any ships and got food not in the harbor, but at Peter's, a little bar tucked away on Water Street.

It did seem like the crowd for the 4th of July was thinner than in the past.

But, its been very hot lately, some folks have lost power. The weather was much nicer for the Sailabration.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM

406 posts, read 485,840 times
The Sailabration weekend had the highest attendance ever for the Baltimore Visitors Center, which opened during the middle of the last decade.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,725 times
A lot of people were over at Fort McHenry as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM

36 posts, read 97,957 times
To answer the OP's question... I'm from the Midwest, attended college and worked in DC, then moved to Baltimore.
At first I, too, thought of it as the "red-headed stepchild" -- not as global or sophisticated as DC, sort of cliquish and parochial, not as much to do. Didn't help that I also found the accents impenetrable. :-}

But after a couple of years, I was hooked on Baltimore. Totally smitten. It's a big small town... the people are neighborly and quirky....there's plenty to do, but you do need to seek it out.

I no longer live there, but, hon, I sure would like to retire there.... Let people think it's the stepchild -- that keeps it cozy and quaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore