Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be staying or leaving town during the Grand Prix?
I live in Baltimore and I'm staying in town. 12 66.67%
I live in Baltimore and I'm leaving town. 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many businesses shut down for the weekend this year. While many people might have come for the races, I would guess that many who might have come into the city for some other reason, actually stayed away because of the traffic restrictions. I remember seeing complaints from some of the affected business owners last time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The bulk of my complaint was not about the inconvenience factor. I'm just tired of mentality that the role of this city should be to fund the entertainment of out-of-towners (see also: city-onwed Hilton hotel, losing millions annually) at the expense of its citizens.

I'm hoping to see a final report on the costs/benefits of the race within a few months before I ultimately decide whether this is worth the hassle.

Great photos, by the way. Shot with a 300mm lens?

I thought they said on the news that they were NOT going to release the numbers. .though they admitted it was less than last year for the obvious reasons.. I am curious to hear how the business owners made out.. It seems like Little Italy, Power Plant, and Fells did well but Federal Hill not so much...

I sort of agree with Hands on the fact that though I understand and appreciate what the Mayor is trying to do..its hard to get all excited when you realize that there are some other structural problems that taxpayers face. I dont know what the City put into the race this year. Hopefully it was less than last year and all the vendors et al will be paid...... Great Photos by the way.....

Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
The Baltimore Sun - Grand Prix's economic impact might never be known

Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Does anyone feel that this is somewhat odd? I mean.. I can see them being a "private" company and not releasing their numbers.. but if they recieved any "public" funds.. I would think that they owe it to the taxpayers to divulge if our tax dollars were properly "leveraged". One could argue that by blocking off City Streets, utilizing Police and EMS services (assuming that the City was not reimbursed for all of this... which we dont know because no one is saying nuffin) The City doesnt want to release the numbers for obvious reasons.. it could become data and fodder for the next opponent of the Mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore