Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,319 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to accept a position at JHH (My office will be at JHU at Mount Washington). Any help you can provide on a good place to live in the Baltimore area would be great, I've only ever visited the city and the Mt Washington area
Here is what I'm looking for:
* Something with a decent nightlife (late 20s/early 30s crowd with small bars and craft beers? Nothing crazy like clubs or anything)
* Something not super far from the JHU MT Washington Campus
* Decently priced apartments or town home rentals
* Something with lots of things to do
* Ideally somewhere that I can meet a bunch of people and make new friends with similar interests easily (young professionals, runners, beer snobs, other generally nerdy things)

Right now the basic plan is to get a short lease on an apartment in the Mt Washington area till I can figure things out, but I'm confident some of you will have better ideas!

Help me out guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Sounds like Canton, Fells Point or Fed Hill is the best fit. They are young adult playgrounds. They are about 15 minutes from Mt. Washington.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,319 times
How tough is parking in the Federal Hill area or in city in general? I'm really used to suburb type living where parking is not even close to an issue...that is probably one of my biggest concerns with city living.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeeTX View Post
Right now the basic plan is to get a short lease on an apartment in the Mt Washington area till I can figure things out, but I'm confident some of you will have better ideas!
I couldn't have said it better. Living close to work is the best.
Compromise with the rest of your interests as an evening or afternoon is desired.

Nothing you might want to do is inconvenient or far from there.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM

I'd much rather have a 15 minute ride to work and have all of the entertainment you want in walking distance to your house. In the neighborhoods mentioned, you park the car on the weekends, and not use it till Monday. There are many people who live in Federal Hill who work outside the City, Columbia, and DC but live here because of everything you can do when you are off.

All of the neighborhoods mentioned have houses and apartments that come with parking and more that don't. But it is a possibility.

If you are looking for something closer to Mt. Washington and still has a lot of bars, I'd recommend Hampden. Parking is also pretty easy there.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
You could also commute via light rail or bike to Mt Washington from Hampden. But KLynch is right, parking there is easier than in Federal Hill.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
At your age, if you want nightlife and friends in close proximity, you want to live in Federal Hill. And yes, Parking is a *****. Mt. Washington is pretty laid back, a couple bars but not a place young folks go for a night out. Hampen is close to Mt. Washington and has more bars, restaurants, etc. but the hub for the 20's to early 30's crowd is Federal Hill.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Yes, plus if you like sports, social leagues, or stuff like that... it's huge. There is a league for any sport you want to play. Football, Kickball softball, and beach volleyball are huge down here, there are running clubs, Irish leagues, Aussie leagues. These leagues are often how people make a lot of friends.. they all have bar sponsors.

Can't really think of a sport that you can't join an adult league in down here. And Hey, if you like pro sports, you can walk to O's and Ravens games and the other pro events that come through downtown and the stadiums.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM

187 posts, read 364,132 times
Maybe take a Mount Washington <-> Federal Hill test drive during rush hour / event traffic and then make a decision. I couldn't do the Light St/Pratt St thing every day, but we're all made of different stuff.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Maybe take a Mount Washington <-> Federal Hill test drive during rush hour / event traffic and then make a decision.
I couldn't do the Light St/Pratt St thing every day, but we're all made of different stuff.
That's half of my point above. Visiting any of the hip and happening areas is one thing. Living there is another.
Conversely Mt Wash isn't bad in any sense of the word with an abundance of all the other things the OP says
they are interested in having available.

OP: Take a share situation in MW. Over the winter explore and make your own assessments.
Meanwhile you'll have a very easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore