Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,020,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L in sobo View Post
I have found that people that are overly "loud and proud" of something (appearance, money, in this case- education) it is only because they are terribly insecure about everything else.

Also- with the attitude of being "stuck" in Baltimore and not wanting to intermingle with anyone that doesn't have an overpriced education- is not a recipe for success for enjoying your time here in Bmore.
It sounds so much better when you say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 05:10 PM

734 posts, read 2,046,732 times
LOL

This thread is awesome. I don't even remember the last time someone asked me where I went to school. Who does that?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,434,519 times
Baltimore isn't without its vanities. Despite the city's blue collar reputation (and one which is rapidly dying) it came as an amusing surprise to this poster to discover the local hang-ups over what high schools one attended. The strong prep and Catholic school cultures have established their cliques which do spill over into adulthood. People talk of the city's reputation as a blue collar town but Baltimore has always had a large upper middle class including the city's professional classes and a discreet old money, old Maryland crowd. A pretentious person will find her idealized crowd in Baltimore but it's no guarantee that they will want her. Baltimore's great charm to me is that it has always been a friendly, non-pretentious town where different social classes easily exist alongside one another even if they don't overlap or interact.

To OP: after checking my alumni database it looks that 75% of the area alums range from mid thirties to their 90s and the remainder seem to be graduate students at Hopkins or UMD. While there are young graduates of the Ivies in Baltimore odds are they are starving graduate students. Is that what you were looking for? If you're on the hunt for "highly" educated young people with large disposable incomes you are probably about ten years too young. The few that do exist in Baltimore likely grew up here and already have their social sets based on their old private school classmates. The rest tend to start out in New York or Boston and migrate to Baltimore when it's time to settle down and raise a family.

You can do what my son did. After graduation from a school you would certainly approve of he landed a good job offer that was perfect in every way....except that it was in Baltimore, a city he had swore he'd never return to for he'd found it provincial and boring as a child. But after he threw himself into several sporting clubs and started dating a girl who was involved in the local arts scene he met a wide range of people which completely transformed his expectations and views of Baltimore so that when he left for graduate school a few years later he was sorry to go. Instead of wasting time moaning about the lack of people who meet your criteria, find a few activities you enjoy and you'll easily meet people.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,445,670 times
Old DC is the same as far as "what high school did you go to?" so this idea is not solely a Baltimore one. Unlike DC, Baltimore is definitely a rust belt, industrial town; those are its roots. It is being reborn in the death of heavy industry - this is the challenge of rust belt cities; some transform and some just decay. As anywhere, whether social set or economic roots, teh past is prologue.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty12 View Post
Where do the people who work for Morgan Stanely, T Rowe Price, Under Armour, etc hang out? I'm a recent grad from an Ivy, and having trouble finding places in Baltimore that aren't filled with the "blue-collar" types.
Well you come across as rather uppity and elitist. I am college educated and prefer my local taverns and honky tonk type places here in Dundalk and Middle River. If you want the "upscale" places in the city go to Power Plant Live, places like HOwl at the Moon for example. You'll love how they charge cover to get in!!! If Federal Hill is not yuppie enough for you, maybe you should move down to Washington DC or Montgomery County intead. Or perhaps you might like Columbia in Howard County.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,551 times
Default "white colar" type?

You might try Wash DC, mostly in downtown area, say 18th st...check online under restaurant/lounge in DC

Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 AM

342 posts, read 908,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty12 View Post
Where do the people who work for Morgan Stanely, T Rowe Price, Under Armour, etc hang out? I'm a recent grad from an Ivy, and having trouble finding places in Baltimore that aren't filled with the "blue-collar" types.
My suggestion pack your bags and leave!!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 AM

342 posts, read 908,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Baltimore isn't without its vanities. Despite the city's blue collar reputation (and one which is rapidly dying) it came as an amusing surprise to this poster to discover the local hang-ups over what high schools one attended. The strong prep and Catholic school cultures have established their cliques which do spill over into adulthood. People talk of the city's reputation as a blue collar town but Baltimore has always had a large upper middle class including the city's professional classes and a discreet old money, old Maryland crowd. A pretentious person will find her idealized crowd in Baltimore but it's no guarantee that they will want her. Baltimore's great charm to me is that it has always been a friendly, non-pretentious town where different social classes easily exist alongside one another even if they don't overlap or interact.

To OP: after checking my alumni database it looks that 75% of the area alums range from mid thirties to their 90s and the remainder seem to be graduate students at Hopkins or UMD. While there are young graduates of the Ivies in Baltimore odds are they are starving graduate students. Is that what you were looking for? If you're on the hunt for "highly" educated young people with large disposable incomes you are probably about ten years too young. The few that do exist in Baltimore likely grew up here and already have their social sets based on their old private school classmates. The rest tend to start out in New York or Boston and migrate to Baltimore when it's time to settle down and raise a family.

You can do what my son did. After graduation from a school you would certainly approve of he landed a good job offer that was perfect in every way....except that it was in Baltimore, a city he had swore he'd never return to for he'd found it provincial and boring as a child. But after he threw himself into several sporting clubs and started dating a girl who was involved in the local arts scene he met a wide range of people which completely transformed his expectations and views of Baltimore so that when he left for graduate school a few years later he was sorry to go. Instead of wasting time moaning about the lack of people who meet your criteria, find a few activities you enjoy and you'll easily meet people.
Love this post

Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

581 posts, read 2,297,186 times
I went to a state college, worked my ass off, and paid for it myself.

I'd rather hire someone without a college degree whom is willing to work
hard than deal with an Ivy Leaguer. Most of the fellow managers I have
known over the years have shared the same sentiment.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,259,051 times
Ex-Baltimorean who kind of understands where the OP is coming from, however still would not come off as stuck-up as the OP.

1. There are quite a number of ivy-leaguers (top 20 private school types) in baltimore but they're all broke med students, residents, or phd students that are poor, tired, and have no time.

2. When I lived in baltimore, Brewer's Art saved me...by far the best place to go out there and probably the closest feel to places like Church-key in DC and probably what the OP is looking for. Other's I would suggest are Pazo, vino ros-something in harbor east, red maple (sometimes).

Fells point, mt. vernon, and Harbor East are the general areas i would suggest to the OP as well. I thoroughly dislike Fed Hill even when I lived in baltimore as it was way too fratty. There was a good turkish after-hours place there for hookah but don't know if it is still open. Nevertheless Fells point, brewer's art (in mt. vernon), and Harbor East are much more 'refined' IMO than fed hill.

Join/volunteer at the Walters.

That said, DC nightlife gets old as well. Just read online and you will here tons of people saying how terrible DC nightlife is. DC has some nice spots but they get old as well after some time. In DC i would recommend: The Gibson, Eighteenth St. Lounge, ChurchKey, Marvin, PX (alexandria), Columbia Room, and hotel bars such as the one at the Willard InterContinental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore