U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM

107 posts, read 197,800 times

Advertisements

towson is pretty safe, there are plenty of young people there and lots to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
wheres the cheapest neighborhood to live in the city of baltimore.
I dont care about crime rates, rats, scum, drugs whatever just cheap
thanks.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 AM

3,405 posts, read 4,395,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxell woodman View Post
wheres the cheapest neighborhood to live in the city of baltimore.
I dont care about crime rates, rats, scum, drugs whatever just cheap
thanks.
lol- You can probably cast a pretty wide net on that one... you may want to narrow down other criteria..close to transit, work, school etc.. and it can be narrowed down.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM

24 posts, read 51,326 times
Look at boltonhill.org > index

I lived in a 2 BR (albeit they were small bedrooms) for 1000 a month including all utilities. Its close to everything and in a really homey and family oriented neighborhood while still 2 minutes from nightlife and shopping. Nighttime in the city of baltimore, just use your common sense. dont walk around at night by yourself. If you want to live in the city, there is just no way not to have that strange 1 block of goodness and then 2 blocks over, hell on earth haha. You get used to it. I moved there from houston too, and now am living back in houston, and i miss baltimore! Visit fells point, canton, those areas. they will make you excited and appreciate everything it has to offer.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 27,265 times
I recently relocated to Baltimore from Detroit, MI. I have to say, mostly everyone who has expressed bitterness towards Baltimore has been right. I am currently only here to attend graduate school and I have never met such downright racist, rude, ignorant, and the slowest people on earth!!! I hate it here. Many people think DETROIT is bad...yeah RIGHT! In all fairness, they both should have their bad spots, but you didn't hear about Detroit in recent news having a murder a day, have you?

I used to live in close proximity to Detroit so I knew what to expect when I moved to Baltimore. But in all fairness, here is what I have seen so far, as I live in the absolute heart in downtown Baltimore:

Benches proclaiming "The BEST city in America" and slathered in graffiti which is a HOOT because usually a bum is sleeping on it/cracked out
Chicken bones littering the sidewalk, seriously people?
Abandoned, decayed buildings
NO commercial or retail businesses in sight OR walking distance (It's of my personal opinion that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, wants to do business in baltimore, albeit the drug trade kind, for personal SeCurity reasons and risking your life and neck every millisecond you are in town for)
the 'Galleria' which 'boasts' downtown inner harbor's finer shopping, could be called a small mall, maybe, but lacks a food court and many other stores (hello Express, H&M, big chain department stores?). Is it too much to ask for other stores to want to even be IN baltimore? hell, i wouldn't do it either
Bums EVERYWHERE, at ANYTIME of the day, but usually in close proximity to liquor stores, just STARING at you -

More fried chicken and liquor stores than I can count!!!!

I used to think MICHIGAN had the worst economy in the nation until I came here. WHERE do you people work? Typically, downtowns are full of vitality and businesspeople alike, commuting and going to work in high rises. I can't even say baltimore is close to a revitalization save the people i saw cleaning up the street today on pratt near the Zenith (but then again, maybe they were only employed by the Zenith).

What kind of CITY is this that I cannot walk around by myself, ever, or that I dont even feel SECURE enough to walk around by myself EVEN in the daytime? I downgraded everything I owned/ wore before I came here but the harsh reality has sunken in that it's NOT okay to live like this! Not when you are in fear every day of your life, especially if you are a woman. Forget wearing high heels, forget carrying a purse or even faux Chanel glasses, you are best leaving it all behind elsewhere. This city is depressing not only in it's aesthetics (just take alook at 5 bums staring you down as you walk down the street!) but in the hopeless and dismally apathetic attitude most seem to have. And for what?!

Baltimore NEEDS to bring more jobs here, and I wish I could come up with a solution to this problem but I think FIRST the streets need to be safer so people can FEEL as if they can have a normal life without fear. Clean up the streets and send the bums somewhere far away from here! I visited Lexington Market once and was shocked by the amount of people congregated outside, I nearly thought they were a gang at first. The amount of people who loiter is ridiculous. Surely something can be done to get these people off the streets and get a j-o-b! I don't think things will improve until this is done, so baltimore can first clean up its streets, then it's act, and redeem itself as the 'greatest city' in America.

Unfortunately, i probably won't be here to witness it. I just want to survive the next few years of graduate school here and get out before the city eats me alive!

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-12-2008 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: please leave generaliztions out of your posts

Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 PM

1,958 posts, read 4,251,665 times
I see some shocking overgeneralizations along the lines that it's not safe to walk in the city, or that a neighborhood changes abrutly from good to bad.
While all that is true, it is also false. I live in Cheswolde in the city. I can walk around without fear day or night (even though the neighborhood Citizens on Patrol car may follow me at night!). And the neighborhood doesn't change from good to bad, it is changing from good to better. What I mean that people are razing modest ranchers and using the lot(s) to build humungous homes.
Overgeneralizations about Baltimore irk the hell out of me because a big city is a big city: It contains nearly everything.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,177,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamme08 View Post
I recently relocated to Baltimore from Detroit, MI. I have to say, mostly everyone who has expressed bitterness towards Baltimore has been right. I am currently only here to attend graduate school and I have never met such downright racist, rude, ignorant, and the slowest people on earth!!! I hate it here. Many people think DETROIT is bad...yeah RIGHT! In all fairness, they both should have their bad spots, but you didn't hear about Detroit in recent news having a murder a day, have you?

I used to live in close proximity to Detroit so I knew what to expect when I moved to Baltimore. But in all fairness, here is what I have seen so far, as I live in the absolute heart in downtown Baltimore:

Benches proclaiming "The BEST city in America" and slathered in graffiti which is a HOOT because usually a bum is sleeping on it/cracked out
NO commercial or retail businesses in sight OR walking distance (It's of my personal opinion that NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE, wants to do business in baltimore, albeit the drug trade kind, for personal SeCurity reasons and risking your life and neck every millisecond you are in town for)
the 'Galleria' which 'boasts' downtown inner harbor's finer shopping, could be called a small mall, maybe, but lacks a food court and many other stores (hello Express, H&M, big chain department stores?). Is it too much to ask for other stores to want to even be IN baltimore? hell, i wouldn't do it either
Bums EVERYWHERE, at ANYTIME of the day, but usually in close proximity to liquor stores, just STARING at you

I used to think MICHIGAN had the worst economy in the nation until I came here. WHERE do you people work? Typically, downtowns are full of vitality and businesspeople alike, commuting and going to work in high rises. I can't even say baltimore is close to a revitalization save the people i saw cleaning up the street today on pratt near the Zenith (but then again, maybe they were only employed by the Zenith).

What kind of CITY is this that I cannot walk around by myself, ever, or that I dont even feel SECURE enough to walk around by myself EVEN in the daytime? I downgraded everything I owned/ wore before I came here but the harsh reality has sunken in that it's NOT okay to live like this! Not when you are in fear every day of your life, especially if you are a woman. Forget wearing high heels, forget carrying a purse or even faux Chanel glasses, you are best leaving it all behind elsewhere. This city is depressing not only in it's aesthetics (just take alook at 5 bums staring you down as you walk down the street!) but in the hopeless and dismally apathetic attitude most seem to have. And for what?!

Baltimore NEEDS to bring more jobs here, and I wish I could come up with a solution to this problem but I think FIRST the streets need to be safer so people can FEEL as if they can have a normal life without fear. Clean up the streets and send the bums somewhere far away from here! I visited Lexington Market once and was shocked by the amount of people congregated outside, I nearly thought they were a gang at first. The amount of people who loiter is ridiculous. Surely something can be done to get these people off the streets and get a j-o-b! I don't think things will improve until this is done, so baltimore can first clean up its streets, then it's act, and redeem itself as the 'greatest city' in America.

Unfortunately, i probably won't be here to witness it. I just want to survive the next few years of graduate school here and get out before the city eats me alive!
Troll Alert!!! I am also from Detroit originally and anyone from Detroit would give their left nut to be here. I won't even get into all of this because most of it is simply rubbish. Thoughts: 1. Crime--Detroit is one of the very FEW cities in the country that does not publish it's homicide rate. Check other web sites about this very information. It comes up time and time again. Yet, at the end of the year when the city is forced to report---it usually comes up high. In fact, much higher than Baltimore.
2. Retail---Where on Earth is this person located? There is plenty of retail in the city. I never go to the burbs to shop. Detroit does not even have a grocery store worth mentioning. 3. Racism-- It exists all over the country. But Detroit probably leads the pack. It is consistently considered time after time as the most segregated city in the country. 4. This person did not live in Detroit. He or she lived in CLOSE PROXIMITY to Detroit (suburbs). I hope he or she actually spends some time in the city to do an actual comparison. 5. I won't even get into Michigan's economy. It is way to depressing to talk about and feel empathy for the folks there.

After thought: If a person is used to suburban living and wants that type of experience, he or she should live in the burbs. How often have people said that on both this site but tons of others?

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-12-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: removed racial generalizations out of the quoted post

Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM

156 posts, read 488,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamme08 View Post

Bums EVERYWHERE, at ANYTIME of the day, but usually in close proximity to liquor stores, just STARING at you --- if you are not black especially, because although some people may try to label this as a racist comment, this is merely a personal OBSERVATION that most bums are black, at least the ones i've seen in baltimore downtown so far (ie. if you are hispanic, mixed, indian, jamaican, filipino, etc.)

Thanks for another honest and candid post about how you feel and what you actually see after moving to Bmore. More and varied posters are what make this forum important to those interested in finding out truthful information about Bmore-not the same two or three web junkies raving about their street.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 13,788 times
Default Agree

iamme08, I have to agree with you. I've unfortunately lived here for 2 years and have seen enough. Not only does this city have a lot of issues, crime being a major one, but it's worse since city government doesn't seem to care and won't go to extreme measures to try to revive itself and become a city that is has the potential to be. Sheila is more concerned about what she's going to personally gain during her term than to truly turn the city around, make it affordable by lowering taxes, clean the city up (crime and aesthetics) and holding other city officials accountable to a higher level of performance. This is probably one of the most aesthetically depressing areas and mismanaged cities I've ever seen. I know it's an old city, but so is NY and Philly and Boston, those cities are leaps and bounds better than Baltimore. I have also lived in other areas of the country and have never seen so many ignorant people crammed into one area, it's actually kinda scary. A lot of people in and around the city drive aggressively, and don't seem to have an actual clue on what good driving skills are. People here do seem bitter and lack civility towards each other. TO BE FAIR, there are some very nice, normal and civil people in the city and around it, but we need more of you because you're grossly overpowered!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 PM

1,958 posts, read 4,251,665 times
... and yet more than 640,000 people live in the city. And while most surrounding counties reported major price drops in the most recent real estate sales figures, the city registered a healthy 3 percent price gain.
As to Sheila, I share this writer's feelings:
www.baltimoreexaminer.com >> Antero Pietila
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore